Author Topic: Wind Noise  (Read 5891 times)

Thani

• Undead Master
Re: Wind Noise
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:56 AM »
In one way I suppose it's a way to tell people to not stand around when it's basicly a storm outside.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
In one way I suppose it's a way to tell people to not stand around when it's basicly a storm outside.

[turns sound off]
There, storm over! [continues to chat in the outskirts]

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »

[turns sound off]
There, storm over! [continues to chat in the outskirts]

I just had my guy hold onto his hat, and get into the Inn... Then logged off, because apprently when weather happens. No PC is affacted by it, cuz you know. Crazy Outlanders.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

KBlackwell

• Undead Slayer
  • Back, after 10 years
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »
It would be nice if storms could have some detrimental effects.  Maybe disease rolls or even lightening (Maybe drops HP to 3 or so.. as to not piss anyone off too bad :P).  Something to stop people from standing outside in the elements.  It's only authentic.
Adelaide D'Amore - Deceased.
Sylveen Cassowary - Active

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
I'm up for people getting disease, fevers, and colds from standing out in the elements...

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
eh, cold damage is enough. We're not trying to run a total simulation of reality here :p

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
It would be nice if storms could have some detrimental effects.  Maybe disease rolls or even lightening (Maybe drops HP to 3 or so.. as to not piss anyone off too bad :P).  Something to stop people from standing outside in the elements.  It's only authentic.

Heh, Arelith had a system that dropped Call Lightning on random places during thunderstorms and trust me, it was ANNOYING. I remember logging on once, and stepping out of the inn my character was staying at, only to find myself dead after the loadscreen (turns out I was unfortunate enough to walk out just as lightning struck there)  As for the diseases and the like, since Blue said that's not going to happen, there's nothing to stop you from RPing having a cold or what have you. As it is, I regularly hit the rest button with my characters to check what the weather is like to see how I should be reacting to the outside environment.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
cant we just get rid of the wind sound?

i usualy have the sound on to hear people cast or doors open and close but the endless woooooooshhhhh sound is getting on my nerves
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
The weather system is designed to simulate real weather, at times generating storms and even hurricanes. It's very rare, but this is what is occurring right now. So yes, it would be entirely IC to roleplay halflings flying off ;)

Actualy in Dementlieu the wind blows really loud and hard about 40% of the time in well built up areas woith a lot of buildings to act as wind breaks. It's wide billowing free flowing wsounds just don't sound right as it should be buffeting wbuildings and bouncing off walls.

At least it's not as bad as all the fire SFX for fireplaces and torches being way too loud across the entire server and causing me to turn sound down if I'm going to be neara fireplace for an extended period of time. I know it's possible to edit the volume of flame sfx in the toolset and I also know many builders have claimed that the fire sfx are considerably louder than those used for other sounds and, as such, need to eb set considerably lower to be on par with everything else.

I also know that a lot of builders don't bother to lower the volume on flame sfx and leave them on default wich results in them being too loud to endure for very long.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:13:06 PM by Nemien Callishan »

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
....Still very loud, and very stronge in dementlieu. You'd think the buildings and walls would damping the wind power, seeing as it's a sea side city.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »
....Still very loud, and very stronge in dementlieu. You'd think the buildings and walls would damping the wind power, seeing as it's a sea side city.

I can confirm this, VERY loud and maddening.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 03:01:51 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that sound-wise, unless we at talking very tall buildings they don't make any difference. In fact, if anything, the buildings will generate turbulence making the sound louder.

It might be though that we need to reduce the amount of wind in the domain overall.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my impression that sound-wise, unless we at talking very tall buildings they don't make any difference. In fact, if anything, the buildings will generate turbulence making the sound louder.

It might be though that we need to reduce the amount of wind in the domain overall.

I don't think there are buildings tall enough in the Ravenloft setting to really affect it, no.  I could understand cities the size of Vallaki having a dampening effect on wind, but I've never heard the wind screaming there either. That being said, I live in a city that is probably roughly the same size and built on a lakefront, and it's not uncommon for streets to act as wind tunnels. I myself don't really have any issues with the wind so much.  It can be rather loud, but I just dismissed it as being stormy... for the people complaining they can't hear anyone casting or doors opening: have you ever tried to have a conversation on a really windy day? You generally only hear the sound of the wind blowing into your ears unless the person is standing right next to you, so i don't understand why this is such a huge issue.  As for Soren, maybe not reduce the amount of wind overall but set the sound to be heard at a higher wind-speed?

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
Curious about something, would it be possible to tie the weather system and the "flavor text" together so that when their was irregular weather you would see a little description pop up about it. Iv begun to notice, most people tend to listen to music while playing or generally don't pay any attention to the weather info when you use the rest menu. Thought maybe some flavor text would help people more accurately rp the weather and its effects.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
I find this wind noise extremely immersion breaking. I literally cannot hear myself think. Its what I would expect from a HUGE sandstorm on DUNE or on a mountain top, not anything I would expect normal weather to produce and certainly not in the nice outdoor cafe in Port-a-Lucine..... unless its being blown to the land of OZ. I'm not saying that having wind noise play in the city is not realistic, I'm saying the actual sound that plays IS unbearable for me to listen to after 20 seconds.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
I find this wind noise extremely immersion breaking. I literally cannot hear myself think. Its what I would expect from a HUGE sandstorm on DUNE or on a mountain top, not anything I would expect normal weather to produce and certainly not in the nice outdoor cafe in Port-a-Lucine..... unless its being blown to the land of OZ. I'm not saying that having wind noise play in the city is not realistic, I'm saying the actual sound that plays IS unbearable for me to listen to after 20 seconds.

Okay, I don't know how difficult it is to do this, but given that we have custom music on this server, maybe the sound could be replaced with another? If it's not overly difficult to make these sound clips, perhaps you could make a few of varying degrees that scale up as it gets windier? I've no experience with this sort of thing though, so I don't know if this is a viable option, but given that people seem to find the sound annoying, I figured I'd throw it out there.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
Spent some time in the toolset and made a positive ID of the sound. Its an Area Ambient Sound (found in the edit area properties window) and its name is "Sandstorm, Extreme"

(I might as well go ahead and point out that "Sandstorm, Light" is almost just as bad. I supposed it would not be too terrible for an actual desert area IF the volume could be reduced a little).

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
Buildings don't have to be tall to block out wind and wind noise.  You can walk down a street on a windy day, go into a restaurant, sit on a back patio that is enclosed on a couple of sides by two or three stories, and it's nice and calm.  I agree to just swap out the current wind sound file with something that isn't whistling.  I thought that was the plan?

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne