You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Second Lore  (Read 2627 times)

dark_majico

Second Lore
« on: April 16, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
Im sorry for the l3me thread title but I couldnt think of anything better. The identification mechanic of this game dosent work so well in multiplayer persistant worlds. So I had an idea about how to handle items that have allready been identified. Its fairly simple but could work very well.

Whenever a custom item is created the builder needs to make a note of the required lore to identify it, then at the very bottom of the description include the number. What this means is anyone who wants to participate knows how much lore they need to recognise what it is after its allready been identified.

Im not suggesting anyone go through the toolset and number everything, that would be unnescisary, but what harm can including the number on future items do? Its entirely optional if a player chooses to participate but I think a lot of people would like something like this, and the only extra effort it takes is putting in a number in a description. It should elliminate that question that pops into your head when you play, "ahh dam am I cheesing?" [open character sheet] "No im not! Woot!"

(12)

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
Re: Second Lore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
An interesting idea, once thought it would be cool to store all "special" properties of an item as variables on the item in its mundane state.  Then via the 'examine' radial someone could perform a lore check on it, and uncover the properties(and a script would fire to add them to the item).

Someone could be running around with a super powered weapon and never know it unless they found a sage with high enough lore to reveal its potential.

Sage - When stories come to life

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
would love something like this
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
Lore items here are rediculous though, everyone just equips lore items for what they need and bam, done. No one needs identify or legend lore, because items grant these, and are found like candy at a candy store.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
Totally. It's common sense... I'm from another world how can I suddenly know every single item and relic/artifact there is there?

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
Issue is that the items here lack magical properties. Making them easy to identify. In a higher magical setting it would not be so easy to identify because the items are much more powerful that the Ravenloft module allows.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
You don't need more than 15 to ID everything.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
You don't need more than 15 to ID everything.

Aye. The problem is that NWN's Lore skill is a hosue rule Bioware shoehorned in to allow non casters to identify magic items. Because it won't be a class skill for most of those characters they made the dc for the skill checks (wich is calculated based on the properties of the item) so low it makes the skill pretty redundant for that purpose and then the only use for it is skill checks in conversations (wich simply don't happen in multiplayer).

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
I'm sure the result is not worth all the work involved but it would be neat if we could move our lore skill  into knowledge ranks

something like how the crafting list works

like ex)
Knowledge (arcana)
Knowleldge (History)

etc

i have been giving a lot of own personal thought to this because these days my character Clyde often rolls a 62 - 70 on lore rolls and its unrealistic given a medieval setting with no google/ wikipedia to know everything
 so last week i decided to divide up my 37 lore into categories to give myself an idea what my character might know (or at least be able to roll on).. its been too hectic to bother DMs to see if they agree/ approve of my assessment but here is what i listed for my lorekeeper character:

[11]  Knowledge (Arcana)
[7]    Knowledge (Cosmology) [Astrology, Planes]
[6]    Knowledge (History)  
[5]    Knowledge (Realm of Mists) I.E. what the books list as "Ravenloft" [Barovia, The Core, The Islands, Forbidden]
[4]    Knowledge (Nature)
[4]    Knowledge (Religion)  

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:07:55 AM by monsinyana »

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
Dont forget using knowledge of religion for knowledge of undead. That was always my favorite. 

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:08:22 AM »
If the player is a priest and can turn undead then most religions woul probably teach them something about undead. at least basics.

my character follows Oghma though.. they dont turn undead.. they know things about items by communing with them.

the monster lore my character uses in game is based on things they learned in game or reading books and at that i think ive only ever expounded on the minimum basics except for specific focus of preventing the contraction of lycanthropy

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:32 AM »
I proposed elsewhere the diversification of knowlege skills into a similar structure as you proposed.
Of course it would require the idea to be accepted, someone willing to make the hak update, the hak update to happen, and then a round of remakes as everyone's character builds become irrelevant.

In all that's a lot of work, and free rebuilds risky. So maybe it's waiting in the wings with other skill/feat changes. Who knows. But my money's on probably not.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:07:12 AM »
we could do it in a low tech way
since there are not that many scholar characters anyway:

1) Declare what your ranks are - have CC or DMs approve it
2) List them somewhere- forum, your character examine description (there is also a DM descriptor there- would be nice if they defined some things there for us so players take it more seriously (like hard-earned Rep/ low OCR, etc.)
3) When rolling for lore roll a D20 + your modifer

so for example, if Clyde were going to try and figure out something based on religion and wanted to roll lore it would be:

[d20] + 4  = Result + 4

This keeps the numbers from getting insanely high and we can stick to book averages.. that is...

'10' in anything is aveage/common knowledge
'18-20' i excellent
20+ is supra genius stuff
'30-40s' is in te realm of epic & demi-gods
40+ is the realm of god knowledge

and anything outside your defined sage areas takes time to uncover (weeks or months) or you need to find an expert in that field. this would also allow different scholar types to shine and stand out

since this is an RP-heavy server i think going out of our way to expand/define the RP-like skills is relevant.

Lore
Influence
Spellcraft
etc

just an idea

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
A while back there was talk of more identify information on monsters based on if you use your 'examine' tool

what if almost no information is added to the regular lore/identify.. and more advanced information is a lore role when you use the 'examine' tool?

would that work?

dark_majico

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
This thread is getting hi jacked, it was to suggest a way for players to continue to use lore after an item has been identified, getting around the game engines fire once lore mechanic, not to suggest changing the lore skill into Lore, knowladge, arcane, religion, goegraphy, music, literature.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »
This thread is getting hi jacked, it was to suggest a way for players to continue to use lore after an item has been identified, getting around the game engines fire once lore mechanic, not to suggest changing the lore skill into Lore, knowladge, arcane, religion, goegraphy, music, literature.

which i suggested an idea for that here
but i dont consider the other point as hijacking the thread since it was also lore related

A while back there was talk of more identify information on monsters based on if you use your 'examine' tool

what if almost no information is added to the regular lore/identify.. and more advanced information is a lore role when you use the 'examine' tool?

would that work?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:54:13 PM by monsinyana »