You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: No XP on kills?  (Read 5428 times)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: No XP on kills?
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 03:36:49 AM »
It is not that simple

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 04:50:29 AM »
The issue with low levels gaining XP with high levels around is that then it would be hugely beneficial to group up with high levels, who either by given buffs or by killing the monsters, give the low levels a massive XP boost.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:52:15 AM by tzaeru »

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:20 AM »
As i said it will create new problems. I was only offering a flawed solution.

It was a waste of a reply, i'll admit.

Best regards, Mtw.
Gimme the GEP gun.

Bodhidharma

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Aren't there already caps that prevent you from leveling too fast? If you have the hours to gain a level then you should be allowed to level, we all progress at our own pace.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:33 AM »
Aren't there already caps that prevent you from leveling too fast? If you have the hours to gain a level then you should be allowed to level, we all progress at our own pace.

Wouldn't getting XP in the first place be useless then? :P

But no.. I figure that, as long as the main source of XP is monsters for most PCs, it should be fair for all whether your low level character happens to have high level friends or not.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:53:54 AM by tzaeru »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
The cap removes a percentage of XP gained, and yes the system is meant to be fair or those with OOC high level friends, and those who do not. We veterans already have alot of benefits over newbies, we do not need more.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:09 AM »
Hahahahaha. Next time I stalk a group of players, I'll screenshot them going OOC asking if anyone's getting XP. I murder lowbie XP so bad, they do not gain any at all from fighting level appropriate stuff.

And if the answer is firmly "Well this is so people with OOC friends can't powerlevel," I want to really point out that I was able to buff my apprentice, he could go and solo things just fine. Meaning, if I stayed out of the dungeon and let him grind his way through it alone, and only rushed in to re-apply stoneskin when it wore off, he would get a lot more XP. If you're trying to stop OOC behavior with it, it's not working because it punishes people who want to be IC.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
I've noticed that even going alone its some times hard to get any xp, and that's at lvl 10. My suggestion is simple, give a minimum of 1 xp, at least you kinda feel a sense of accomplishment when you kill something after it kicks the hell out of you then as opposed to two or three things beating you to death, but when you kill them you didn't gain any xp at all. . .which is kinda like. . .oh, well why did we come here again?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
And if the answer is firmly "Well this is so people with OOC friends can't powerlevel," I want to really point out that I was able to buff my apprentice, he could go and solo things just fine. Meaning, if I stayed out of the dungeon and let him grind his way through it alone, and only rushed in to re-apply stoneskin when it wore off, he would get a lot more XP. If you're trying to stop OOC behavior with it, it's not working because it punishes people who want to be IC.

Few systems are perfect but a matter of making a satisfying compromise. It is working, but not without exception.

The setup prevents pacing low levels with high level characters but the central principle is actually of just maintaining a balance of risk vs. reward. Whenever you have reward without real risk, it tends to degenerate into more high paced grinding.

This used to be very apparent as high levels looped through low to medium level dungeons - because even if the reward was diminutive, it was still worth it compared to the risk and need for preplanning and organizing that is required to enter a dungeon matching your own prowess.

I've seen the same happen when low levels are "mentored" as you describe. Most of the time, they basically just click their way through things as quickly as they can because the risk is gone.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11:37 PM »
Here's an idea for being able to RP with lower level characters or stalk them through a dungeon without ruining their XP.

Would it be possible to turn off one's own gain of xp for monsters?  That is, to turn on a "mode" where your own character would not be figured into the XP calculations when a monster dies.  If you do *anything* that could be part of a combat, your "mode" would turn off and not be able to reactivate for X amount of time, to prevent abuse by powerlevelling.  But you'd be able to walk  your higher level PC through a dungeon with lower levels without messing up their XP if you are letting them do all the fighting.