You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: No XP on kills?  (Read 5427 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
No XP on kills?
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
Might be a system feature I was not aware of, but I recently discovered I do not receive any XP on kills.

I assumed it was because there were high levels in the party, but I saw that for instance killing a brutish werewolf on a lvl 11 gains no xp neither.

What's the line where level difference yields no experience points?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Re: No XP on kills?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »
Its roughly a five level difference where you no longer get experience.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »

Scales a bit with level, but roughly right... :thumbup:

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »

Roughly.  :fonzie:

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
Hnngh.. This means a need to find a party of doing vamps or wolfsies..  :bat_angel:
Gimme the GEP gun.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »
Natasha, solo, kills brutish Werewolves or Huge Wererats and receives no XP pretty much nothing I kill give me XP, figured 10th level was just to high for the native critters roaming the forests and streets of Vallaki

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »
Natasha, solo, kills brutish Werewolves or Huge Wererats and receives no XP pretty much nothing I kill give me XP, figured 10th level was just to high for the native critters roaming the forests and streets of Vallaki

You want Wererat lords! That'll do it :)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:31:25 AM »
High level in area removes the xp as well, correct?

One frustrating thing with that, when high level party members in the area blocking off lower levels to acquire any xp, effectively souring the relation between high - low levels. I am aware that removing this will lead to 'babysitting'. Perhaps scale down the xp not eliminate it completely?

I often had very good experience when accompanying lowbies, not just the RP but letting them fight the fights, use their roles, whatever, I was just there as a patron who paid for bodyguards. Now those situations are kindof won't really happen, if I don't want to waste their time for an hour letting them have no xp whatsoever. (not to mention having a non power-battle build my lvl 5 difference do not count much in terms of protection :S )

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:08:18 AM »
Dunno if that is true, the low levels if toted around said they still got xp while with me :3. Most were happy with getting gold and useful items :)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
it seems like the exp has been scaled back since the RP exp was put back in place. I pretty much dont get exp except when standing around chatting anymore. granted im not normally going anywhere exciting (just farming for crafting supplies normally) but unless the area in question is insanely dangerous I dont normally gather exp anymore it seems.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
Genrally the area and its encounters have to be a challenge [read - risk of death] to reap any xp, since all xp rewards are awarded as if there were five people in the party this means you have to saddle up get a team & go kick serious butt if you want those "proud" messages again.
Spoiler: show
11th levels onward should look to the village of Barovia

XP is, I gather, exactly the same as before. All Søren did was remove the messages we used to get in error for kills that did not actually grant xp.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:38:52 PM by Dhark »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
There's no debate on challange/reward and dangerous encounters. What bothers me somewhat that having a char built not for battle and I usually manage to team up with other similar ppl, there are challanges that are way above us, can smash us to piece and reward nothing. And when we find someone for protection to be able to tackle greater dangers, turns out we again stepped over the line to gain xp.  :?

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
A high lvl char in the party will reduce xp for the lowbies but not eliminate it, so far as I understand.  I find that at 10th lvl I need to go to good lvl vamp spawn, i.e: Blasphemes and Vampire Warriors, or perhaps the Alhoon, or Invidians, or the higher reaches of Ghakis and Baratak.  All do-able at 10th lvl if you have a solid party who is willing to work together. 

Around the immediate area of Vallaki there is not much that will give xp to a mid-level character.

illmater

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »

It looks like i will be having ooc chats about every party member's   levels before every group now, excluding those people whom I already know their level.  This is good information to know.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:07:46 PM by illmater »
Tsukiko Kaga
Ly

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »
illmater, that is in reference to monster level vs PC level. Not PC partying levels.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »
Actually here comes a very natural reaction. Checking levels ooc, excluding high ones not to diminish the xp. I love travelling with higher levels, and often there are no other possible party configuration.

Don't get me wrong, I rarely do dungeons but when I do I won't go to my mates asking OOCly what level are they, and trying to figure out reasons how to exlude high levels. I'm in for the adventure, the thrill. Still feels disappointing to be stuck on the same level for soo long, gaining xp only through chatting even though my char is not a social one. And yeah --> find a solid party is tough when in-character I try to avoid wizards/buffers. The current monster setup strengthens wizard/cleric friends, making more and more outlanders less and less natives.

EDIT: Also often feel wrong to help lowbies since I know I'll ruin their xp totally.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:32:23 AM by Winter83 »

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
Good things i only Soloing, no one get hurt that way.  8)

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
Mayvind does not only solo, don't let him lie.  <3

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 06:36:52 AM »
bah.. next you'll be saying iam not 19 years old blond swedish girl.  :roll:

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »
bah.. next you'll be saying iam not 19 years old blond swedish girl.  :roll:

we all know that is not possible, since you said that 2 years ago:P

on another note:

Village of Barovia is not worth the travel, usually there is one or two bands who farm it regularly, so you will not get there any xp.

about the ghakis: the ice giants is the only thing that is worth doing there, the top is not worth it. The DC for the chests are quite high, and if i recall well, one of them is even broken, aka does  not spawn loot, the greater spectres hardly give any xp, there is 50% chance you miss them, without a cleric or wizard it is pretty damn hard to overcome them, especially since your armor AC is not active against them. Not to mention that the ghakis even during summer is so damn cold, that it takes quite a bit of preparation to get there.
Though there are other methods:P
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Question:
So let's say a higher level is stalking lower level players, how bad is the higher level ruining their XP gain? Like, let's say all of them start going OOC and saying //I'm not getting XP, and //these must not be the high level werewolves.

Do MPCs factor into area XP gain since they don't gain XP from pvm?

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 01:46:31 AM »
i thought it was so if you parttake in the figthing    in an X radius that it matters

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
Just did a test, a high level being around a low level screws them out of XP entirely even if you're not partaking in the combat at all. This makes apprenticeship RP a tad awkward since ideally I'd like to have the apprentice fight on their own, looks like I'll be hauling them through what gives -me- XP.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:34 AM »
Just did a test, a high level being around a low level screws them out of XP entirely even if you're not partaking in the combat at all. This makes apprenticeship RP a tad awkward since ideally I'd like to have the apprentice fight on their own, looks like I'll be hauling them through what gives -me- XP.

This pretty much kills many kind of roleplay. And I of course know the lines from heart -the enjoyment of the roleplay that should matter / rp along the way to get rp xp- but there's that baddish feeling when I don't see the little single yellow lines on the right window. (Experience gained)

Apprentice rp, hireing a guide rp, bodyguard rp, stalking the newcomers rp, and pretty much a lot is ruined if this experiment up there is confirmed. (Like the "Hey I don't get xp for this place probably we are being stalked by a high level!" )

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »

This pretty much kills many kind of roleplay. And I of course know the lines from heart -the enjoyment of the roleplay that should matter / rp along the way to get rp xp- but there's that baddish feeling when I don't see the little single yellow lines on the right window. (Experience gained)

Apprentice rp, hireing a guide rp, bodyguard rp, stalking the newcomers rp, and pretty much a lot is ruined if this experiment up there is confirmed. (Like the "Hey I don't get xp for this place probably we are being stalked by a high level!" )
Remove the xp difference between higher levels and lower levels. That'd solve the problem.. But it may (and probably will) create new ones.
Gimme the GEP gun.