Author Topic: The Thoughts of Franjo Kratochvil - Gundarakite Ranger  (Read 2067 times)

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
The Thoughts of Franjo Kratochvil - Gundarakite Ranger
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »

The Life and Struggles of Franjo Kratochvil

He stood before a battered wooden door, its hinges loose enough to allow the wind to rattle its frame.  End of winter, and he found himself at his family's doorstep.  He hadn't intended on this, but for some reason he had a hope left.  His eyes looked over the notice in Balok that was nailed to the door: "House Arrest: Kelemen Kratochvil, Suspected Rebel Activity.  Report any sighting if seen outside of home until investigations are complete."  Franjo merely shook his head, rolling his broad shoulders as he stepped up to the door, grasping the brass ring knocker and slamming it against the frail door a few times.  He waited then, wringing his hands as he adjusted his cloak in the blistering cold.

It was the end of winter, but the cold just didn't seem to want to let up.  His ears felt tender, their tips a bright red.  Licking his lips in reflex to clear the chapped feeling they had.  Then, he heard footsteps.  They grew close for a moment, then more distant, before the window beside him's curtains opened ever so slightly, a single eye cautiously peering out at him.  It narrowed, then the curtained closed again.  Lock after lock could be heard clicking behind that doorframe before the door opened wide.  There was his mother, a daunting, frail woman with eyes as cold as the winter that stung his ears.  It reminded him of the switch she used on him, somehow, as a child.  She looked upon him with the most critical of stares, lip twitching and her face telling clearly how she felt:  "What the iadul are you doing home?"

While no words greeted him, he offered the widest of forced smiles as he looked to the dark haired woman.  "Szia, momma."

"What the iadul do you want?" She hissed, grasping the door as she leaned in slightly, "you leave home with that Svetla whore of yours, then you come running back?  You're done, there is nem coming back for you."  

He found his gaze shifting, looking to the side and down the strada, as if hoping someone would come, maybe a Garda, to take her attention from him.  He didn't like being here, but he felt it necessary.

"That's why I came, mother...  Svetla's dead, she's... been dead.  Bandits."  He murmured, adjusting his cloak as his eyes became downcast.  "I have a new domna now..."

"Pfah.  She was a whore anyways.  A damn Vrana.  A Vrana is always trouble, mark my damn words.  And you saw.  Got herself killed.  You're better off."  The frigid woman seemed to relax, somewhat, at this, the faintest of smirks etched over her features which Franjo quickly noted.  The woman was happy.  It was time to crush that from her.  His last stab against her, and what remained of his family.  

"My new domna is half-vistana."  

The woman seemed to freeze, her body seizing up as her eyes seemed to bulge from her head.  The vein in her forehead seemed to throb.  Her lips pulled back, opening her mouth as if to say something, only to turn around and slam the door in the boys face.  The sound of lock after lock bolting into place could be heard audibly as the woman angrily locked him out of her life for good.  The repercussions didn't seem to matter at him as he came to find himself smiling, backpedaling away from the door.

Only to slip on a pile of melting ice upon the cobbles, falling onto his rear.  He hissed aloud, closing his eyes as he slowly stood, rubbing his bottom as he began to shamble down the street.  

And away from what remained of his childhood.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:08:09 PM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
Re: The Thoughts of Franjo Kratochvil - Gundarakite Citizen
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
A slip of paper tucked in Franjo's pocket, hastily written in Old Luktar.

1) Castle Hunadora - never taken, heralds death to Gundarakites(?)

2) Duke Gundar dead at fall, why castle still dangerous?

3) Need to find info on Boglarka, handwriting comparison maybe?  Need to go to Village or archivist who holds papers from old Gundarak.

4) What do ghosts want from me?  What did they see?

5) Get Gizzy's shawl stitched, tore on accident this morning
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:21:26 PM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
Going to tell the Garda about my brother's
rebel ties.  The piece of shyte decided to find me despite his house arrest to taunt me regarding Gizzy.  I won't let him endanger her, or put me in a suspicious light with the Garda.  I just want things to remain steady.  

6 ) Find more about Tihomir.
See if Citadel knows anything about him?  Risky venture.  He's Barovian, I'm Gundarakite.  But something stinks about the man, and old man Janos agrees.

7 ) Janos: as suspicious as Tihomir.  Was told he has been in the crypts often.  Nothing good comes from staying with the dead.  Considering his implied respect for Nerull during our conversation in the past, he may be a follower of Duke Gundarak's god of death.  Dangerous.  Keep close tabs.

8 ) Get Gizzy that iadul pet mink.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:30:43 PM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:56 PM »
Went and spoke with Vardo.  Their agent seemed not exactly impressed with the prospect of Gaping Wound reopening.  I hope they consider.  Gizzy will be crushed if they turn us down.  We need this.  Gundarakites need this. 

It may be a good idea to find a backup plan.  The Wachter estate is still a plan.  Getting good with the Wachters leads to better things.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:22:01 AM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »
Success.

They actually accepted me.  I have the Wound, or what's left of it.  All repairs are on us, however, which isn't a problem.  I've grown up hammering boards, fixing our family home.  I'll handle the carpentry.  We'll need furniture, though.  Food, drink.  I should see the Romuliches regarding alcohol.  Burgomaster for a posted Garda, maybe. 

Gizela's happy, and so am I.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:17:29 AM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Worn, though youthful hands ran through long black tresses, their fingertips running across smooth flesh as the mane of raven black hair flowed over the sleeping woman's back.  Heavy eyes looked on, this man's touch guided only by the sensations of his hand contacting her skin.  He pursed his lips, pausing to rub at caramel brown eyes before he slipped into bed with the woman, wrapping his muscled arms around her small frame protectively.  He pressed his forehead into the back of her head and closed his eyes, breathing in her scent as his mind wandered.

We're both in this for the long haul.  I know it.  Nothing is by chance.  Meeting her wasn't chance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:19:03 PM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
[A new page is written upon.]

1.) Practice writing, posters good start.  Had to get someone to fix mess ups, though.

2.) Found Dementlieu solar, should give to Gizela for coin shawl.

3.) Need to see Vardo about community gathering at Wound for volunteer repairs.  Community organization a must.  Need to clear the collapsed staircase once get the new keys to the Wound.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:35:35 PM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
Wack, wack, ---- WACK!  Crrrrrkkk!

The young Gundarakite yanked his handaxe from the trunk of the tree, sweat beading on his brow.  He scowled, wiping tree sap off the edge of the blade with a soft linen rag.  He tossed the cloth to the side as he slumped against the trunk of the half-cloven tree, his hands moving to hide his face.  He rubbed at his eyes, then pulled out his journal, inkwell, and quill.  He removed the wells cork, dipping the quill into the dark liquid within.  After a pause, he began to write.

I'm not sure what to do.  All I have left is Gizela.  I'm happy for that, but I want more.  For both of us.  Why us?  The propoganda was posted on Tigan's, not the Wound.  We don't even stay at Tigan's.  Do they really think all Gundarakites are in on some sort of big conspiracy?  Probably.  Gizela's crushed, and she's been sick.  I'm not sure if it's winter, or-

I'm tired.  I want to move from Vallaki at this point, but that's not an option.  Not now.  Gizela's my priority.  I come second.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:21:08 AM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
I've never felt happier.  In one week, the contract for the Gaping Wound was confirmed and is now being written.  Also?

Gizela's pregnant.

I am both unbelievably happy, and terrified at the same time.  Gizela says I will be a good father, but will I?  I repeated the same process my father did.  He impregnated my mother before they were married.  Their relationship fell to bits.  I don't want that same mistake here.  I'm going to make this work.  I'm not marrying her because of the child, I proposed before we even knew.  I'm doing this because I love her.  

We need fang.  We'll have three mouths to feed soon, so the Wound had best work out, or we'll be forced to move to Krezk.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:06:39 AM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08:15 AM »
I grow weary of politics.  What do my people want from me?  Neutrality for a Gundarakite is the hardest thing to handle.  Some are angry because I "kiss Garda ass".  What do they expect me to do?  The Garda expect 100% from Gundarakites, and if you give any less, welcome to the shit list.

I don't play sides.  I don't like the Garda, I don't like the rebellion much due to the fact that they're misinformed on everything.

Duke Gundar a hero?  More like a butcher.  As much as I hate to say it, the Count is a kinder leader than the Duke was.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:32:13 AM by Paragonville »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »
[To be updated.]

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
The Gundarakite Ranger

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
Re: The Thoughts of Franjo Kratochvil - Gundarakite Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
[The entirety of this journal is written in Old Luktar, a dialect predating the fall of Gundarak, for the sake of hiding it from prying eyes.]

If ever there was a time to stop sulking, I suppose it is now.  How much has changed?  All I see are new faces among the outlanders.  Only a few remain of them that I can somewhat trust.  Werewolves are about, and there's rumor of some sort of neuri king or some nonsense.

The Cult of Erlin was caught, it seems.  Good, one less piece of Duke Gundar's reign. 

I must keep my neutrality in this conflict of ideals.