You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Journal of a Blackcoat  (Read 7128 times)

Ovidiu_Lacusta

Journal of a Blackcoat
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
4/11/767

Spring has come to my homeland. The longer daylight hours as yet do little to thaw the bitter cold of this country.  I might have enjoyed remaining in Darkon, but such petty preferences, as to the weather, are not to be indulged by the truly devout.

I find the congregation here, to be in greater strength than when I was last serving here. The work of Inquisitor Poisson can be seen; the heretical and unorthodox ways of the second revelation extremists have been cast out of Her Holy Refuge of Fifth Light. Ezra be praised.

I have suggested, however, that some effort to reform the lost followers be made.  I am uncertain of the circumstances surrounding such a challenge, but I have urged the Home Faith to open their doors so that Ezra's children can return to the light.  They would have to choose their love of Holy Ezra over their love of pagan blood witches and their taint, however.

I have considered the vow of Chastity. I had, at one time, looked forward to being a father, but with the Revelation of the Time of Unparalleled Darkness, I cannot bear the thought of bringing a child into this world, knowing they may not even reach adulthood before the Legions of the Night come forth.  Service to Our Guardian in the Mists can be lonely.  Pleasure demons, as the holy Inquisitor warned of, can be seen here, by the swath of broken faith they cut in their path.  Constant vigilance and endurance of faith are required for our very survival.

I am displeased to learn that the Home Faith in Barovia has been performing baptisms to other sects.  This unorthodox practice is harmful, at large, as I am certain that some amount of bias is transmitted. I have come to know some of the Home Faith wardens, and I am confident in their knowledge, but you will not see me officiating the baptism of anyone outside the Fourth Revelation.  I am to understand the Church ruled in favor of this fringe policy, a ruling I expect comes from the Praesidius himself.

The matter of my investigation into the ordination of other sects, however, has been met with no compliance. I have been directed again and again to the church records... which are severely lacking.  I understand that, in such a rural area as Vallaki, the conventions of more educated and populated congregations are not observed, but perhaps this is due some consideration.  Warden Hyde of the Pure Hearts will for now be my sample to work from.  If he was given his anchorite trial by the Home Faith, they will have severely overstepped their bounds, in my opinion.  These, heretical ordinations, may in the end help to serve and educate the community here, but it is just another black mark upon the leadership of the Sentire, whom the Inquisition has reprimanded directly. I feel a great sympathy for Sentire Constinus, because one man can only do so much to keep order in the midst of so many heathen religions poisoning the minds of the people, not to mention the ever-present threat of the Legions of Night.  The unity of the flock is critical.

I am planning to address the congregation, to assert the point that the Mission of the Church of Ezra in Barovia, is that of the Home Faith. While many of other sects, seem to interpret this to mean, they are not in the Home Faith's jurisdiction, this is wildly mistaken.  The duties of conversion and charities should be directly overseen by the Home Faith, and the efforts of other sects should be complimentary to this. There are too many free agents. There must be order. To refuse to submit to the authority of the Home Faith in Vallaki, is to refuse Ezra. With some proper organization, and planning, I believe we will accomplish much together.

I would also write of the profound change in Templar Heris. When I suggested he request assignment in Barovia, I wasn't certain the Pure Hearts would oblige.  I intend to work closely with him to temper his wisdom.  His compassion could be easily squandered on caliban, or other wretches, and I don't intend to let that happen.  He will also help me to, at least in appearance, soften the Fourth Sect views that are so heavily scrutinized.  Whatever demon has villified the holy works of the Fourth Revelation to this congregation will be stamped out, in time. I will do whatever it takes.

Beata Ezra,
Warden Ovidiu Lacusta
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:36:17 PM by Ovidiu_Lacusta »

Ovidiu_Lacusta

Re: Shepherd of Locusts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
4/16/767

I am pleased to write that I have met a few Fourth Sect members.  I am sure they have suffered from a lack of proper leadership; I don't know the whereabouts of Warden Creek, for that matter.  While our vows are, without a doubt, made to the Fourth Revelation, I believe it to be of critical importance that the followers of the Fourth in this country know the parameters of our mission and what is expected of them.

Free agents acting on their own, is unacceptable.  Despite our differences in attitude or theological opinions, our role in Barovia is to supplement the Mission of the Home Faith, not pursue our own desires.  I cannot reiterate this enough, as there seems to be some ongoing confusion about this.

Last night, I was standing in the lobby of the Rectory when a hooded woman wearing anchorite robes walked up to Warden di Morello and I.  The woman inquired, to confirm Warden di Morello's identity, and turned to me saying, "Sorry, wrong place, wrong time."

"Caterina di Morello, it is time for you to die."

My veins surged, my mind recalling my training.  I snapped out Thruster, a shortsword I have taken a liking to, favoring it in this instance because I could free it from it's sheathe easier than Ezra's longsword.  The extra few seconds proved to be critical - the assassin was skilled and had nearly reduced Warden di Morello to a bloody heap in no time at all.  If she had been alone, there would have been no hope.  I was able to time a few well placed shots, and opened up more than one vital artery.  The Borcan woman turned her blade on me, giving Warden di Morello preciously needed time to recover herself.  A distillation of wolves tail and bleak cap was also a great help as I fended off the assassins blows.

Finally, invoking the light of Ezra, Warden di Morello smote the woman a killing blow, ending the struggle.  There was blood all over the lobby, splattered upon the walls.  The grout between the tiles in the floor mosaic still needs to be cleaned more, but I didn't notice this until this morning.  The Borcan woman had only a vial of Hemlock poison on her.  Her body is being kept under supervision in the upstairs shrine.

We were shocked to learn that Warden Milea and sister Carina had also been assailed.  Their would-be killer had the same poison and may have also been a Borcan, perhaps. We have for now agreed to keep this attack private to the congregation... it would not do Her church any service to be further associated with the Borcan stereotypes we struggle against.

In Ezra's holy name I write,
Beata Ezra
Warden Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
4/19/767

The sermon is tomorrow.  Since the arrival of the Borcan Ambassador, the attacks seem to have subsided - but I can't sleep soundly yet.  He and that Inquisitor seemed to fawn over our two Borcan anchorites - was it that they were surprised to find the Wardens alive?  I am known to them now.  I suspect the next attempt will be on my life... and I am ready.

Our work must proceed.  Warden di Morello spoke wisely, to say that all our activities must remain as they were... as if we suspect nothing.  I am reluctant to write of the acolyte I am now training, I would keep him secret from these Poisoners if I can.  The laymen, too, will be an exciting addition to our chapter of the Fourth.   Perhaps these corrupted swine are just what we needed to galvanize us. You weren't expecting the Fourth Revelation, were you, Duloq?

I know that you tried to have my sisters removed before your arrival... I can sense your wicked thoughts, I can hear the flick of your serpents tongue. O'Ezra, you sharpened me to see this iniquity cleft from your flock.  We are but a scattering of dim scars in a sky of deepest black.

In Ezra's holy name I pray,
Warden Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
4/23/767

To date, there have been four assassins sent.  The latest news is that we believe our Sentire may be the next target.  The flock grows in spite of this.  New laymen seem to arrive, as old wardens return, every other day.

I am... so frustrated at the bureaucracy, though. I feel it necessary to take matters into my own hands. This is why, when I requested to be sent to Barovia, after my ordination; my superiors must have seen my purpose in the Grand Scheme.

Ezra, make steady my blade.

Warden Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
4/25/767.

What's done cannot be undone.  The mutilation of the Heretic was a viable alternative to ending her life and that of her caliban child.  They all suspect me, some of them fear me, and I would have it no other way.

I can't believe how poorly educated the Ezrites are here.  That the pretty one would be defending the Druids as if she herself were a pagan, is rather shocking to me.  Any "bond with the land" is invariably a bond with the Hollow and thus the Mists of Death.  Calling upon the earth and the "Natural" elements is inviting the daemonic host of the Legions into one's very body.  This is not unique to the Fourth Sect, either, my dears.

Regardless of that matter, the Sentire did not seem displeased.  In fact, quite the opposite.  As I have broken no tenets, broken none of the Count's trei laws, and shown my willingness to commit self sacrifice... I believe I have found my role in Barovia.  I have in fact sworn to defend the faithful of the church... let the treatment of the Heretic send a message to the Borcan charlatans.

Warden di Morello is a little safer.  If a threat against any good Ezrite falls upon my ears, the instigator will wish, truly, that they could have died in their sleep.  Such is the punishment I offer to these, heathens, these heretics, the witches and the unclean.

In Her name, Ezra bless.

Warden Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »
Outrage on the Fifth Day.

"They had me arrested during mass!"

"Blasphemy!"

"They've no proof..."

"Why'd they give you up so easily?" that gracious garda asked.

Then he came, and he took away all my burdens...

"...act of heroism..."

"champion of Ezra..."

The delirium, as the torture began, the cutting and the burning, the savage imprecision. Nothing like his art work. And not the lashing the Inquisition wanted, either.

The blood and humility! The suffering!  Then... Visions of the Guardian... of the Mists...

Of things to come.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
Deep in the Citadel of the municipality of Vallaki, where no light can enter, the man named Ovidiu awakens from a deep slumber.

He dreamt vividly... blurring the line between what really was, and what could be.

"Our mission has begun..."

Were those words real? Or simply an echo of his hearts desire?

Pain. His face, chest and thighs, brutally carved up, badly burnt, cauterized.  He had lost so much blood.  His eyes were swollen shut.  If there was a torch light filtering in between the bars of his cell, he wouldn't have known.

With trembling fingers and blood-caked lips, the broken man sits upright, writhing into a posture worthy of invoking Ezra.  He knew the words to ease his suffering...

He recited the words for several minutes.  Yet it seemed that deep in the bowels of the Citadel, isolated from the rest of the world, no comfort would come to him, despite his earnest plea to the Guardian in the mists.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:01:54 AM »
4/27/767

As I write this I am ordered by the "interim Sentire" to retire to the Rectory.  I am the extremist? Her title is still Toret until she is made a Sentire.  Yet here I am, censured by her, she won't even acknowledge that I've already confessed. That I've already repented. She won't let me speak. Do my actions somehow call into question my loyalty? I am fiercely loyal... Even being absolved, I still feel the weight of this. These wounds mend slow, they need to understand... As the inquisitor said, the ways of serving are multifold.

I can see Ezra's light, better than ever before.
Ezra bless,
Warden Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
5/1/767

The Festival approaches.  I'm making preparations for the distillations I will offer to the congregation, and other little mundane details. In her wisdom, the acting Sentire has graciously offered to lift my censure on the upcoming holy day.

Perhaps she believes this will relieve the pressure upon anchorite Costinus... I do wish that were the case.  As flattered as I am to earn the attention of the Borcans, politically speaking, my agenda is not political.

I will drive the proverbial nail into Mugur's coffin; a nail he cast himself from his own inadequacy.

And they will defend his heresy with misplaced loyalty.

Warden Lacusta
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:24:33 PM by Ovidiu_Lacusta »

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:33 AM »
5/8/767

I had a disturbing vision.  In it, I locked eyes with none other than the heretic.  I sensed that she was aware of me, much as I am aware of her.  Very disturbing.  Detestable wretch!

In light of this I am taking a short hiatus to reflect and pray.  Sinister forces are at work in my homeland, moreso than ever.  A man proclaiming himself the Clarion of the "Fifth" sect has made himself known.

When I have gathered myself I intend to interrogate him.  There is much work to be done.

Beata Ezra,
Warden Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
5/15/767

Fifth day... I have prepared a fine enough sermon.  There are many seeking the Fourth Revelation in this forsaken country and I am so pleased to provide Her salvation to them.

Training continues on it's course, but we're still poorly equipped.  I had almost beheaded that werewolf, but the others kept attacking... I need to submit my report on that incident, still.

If I suffer that Morninglord Priestess and her audacious preaching again, I may just bloody her lips, that woman should know her place.

Beneath Ezra.

IIII

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »
Lacusta's Anatomy chart

This document for Ezrites contains a summary of contents to broaden a knowledge of medicine in the reader.

It is to be noted that due to the demonistic mutations present in many living Servants of the Legions of the Night, a contrast of different anatomies is necessary for the serious student.

Creatures such as trolls, caliban, or the Beasts that Rend, are equally comparable for their "near human" physiology.The Anchorites of the Last Redoubt have battled and overcome all sorts of terrible incarnations of evil.  See next a skeletal comparison of a human with a horrific servant of a legion.

*A sketch depicting some training material possibly used in Nevuchar Springs, Darkon.*

These skeletal comparisons are a necessary foundation to understanding that, the bodies of all beings in the Hollow follow certain laws of composition, as you see here, the exclusion existing in the unliving Legions of the Night, a topic to which this document is not relevant.  To the conclusion I present the points of critical anatomical importance; those ones usually targeted on the field of battle.

*The document seems to exclude the reproductive organs completely*

The document is left unsigned.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
5/21/767

Today I write of a prediction.  That the mistakes of the predecessor will be exceeded by the successor.  I have seen the face of corruption in this church, and I know it's name.

I pray, Ezra grant me the resilience to tolerate another day of listening to that sore upon Her Faithful. 

I have more than once, secretly wished the Time of Unparalleled Darkness would just come, and purge all the vileness I see before me!

I am interrogated in Ezra's church, for an "incident" where all I did was decline to tithe to the Morninglord!  I am villified at every turn!

She shows them more patience than she shows me.  I hate those heathen scum!  Why should I try so hard to avoid them, only to have them "report" to the Sentire about me.  Why wouldn't they.  Her door is always open for heathens.  And witches, that whore Roxanne, the list goes on!  I hate them, Ezra, keep them away!

Now the Sentire defends those laity who were in a pact with a Daemon.  That little imp, Salera, betrothed to a fiend!  There is little left to doubt of the diminished moral capacity in demihuman races.  Now the congregation is harassed by age-old Legions of the Night.  It seems it was quite a mistake to invite them back, the consequences of this are impossible to meter, for now.

I have just watched the passing of my nineteenth birthday.   What a meaningless occurence.  We never celebrated it when I was growing up.  After my mother died to carry me into this world, my father always resented me.  After all is said and done, he's still just a heathen who doesn't accept Ezra. I don't need his approval.

I only need you, Ezra.

W.L.
IIII

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:48 PM »
5/29/767

What a peculiar thing it is to watch, as the spider responds to a vibration in it's web.  First, Warden Morello moves in to ask me how I'm doing. How I'm feeling. What sentimental women they are, they place so much emphasis on a truly fairy tale church.  Warden Morello is like a blunt tool for a precision task anyway, it's not hard to see she's soliciting my opinion about the Sentire.  It's interesting that you empathize with bias against the Fourth Revelation, in spite of your bias against the Fourth Revelation, Warden.

What unclean, profane things unfold! I can see it clearly.  They've accepted donations from none other than the scheming, conniving temptress herself, SERAFIM! *a few droplets of spittle seem to hit the journal here*

*...another piece of paper, copied lightly*
« on: October 15, 766 »
...serafim, seems to have some sort of demonic shadow entity around her. -- described it as darkness and black tenticles around her. I am not sure, I do remember that Inquistor Meisser spoke out against Serafirm when I last saw him. It is possible this is her own fault then, nevertheless, it is probaly good to look into the whole picture and what exactly this darkness around her might be.  I suspect this might be some form of the Legion of the Night, it does after all sound similar to the shadows in the sullen woods.

How many eye-witness accounts like this does it take, to prove what a daemonic harlot, what a living extension of the Legions of the Night Serafim truly is!! And now! They're going to build Her sacred church atop a pile of wolf fangs, which were earned in that den of ill repute!

The loathing I have for such negligence is unspeakable!  How can we dare to dedicate this effort to Ezra, and then take funds from whores, from those despicable, lewd folk!  Art commissioned entirely on the fees for the pleasures of the flesh...??

I won't be able to look at it.

IIII
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:36:42 PM by Ovidiu_Lacusta »

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
My sabbatical has ended.

Traveling, and living the capacity of the anchorite always broaden the perspective, especially together.  I cannot say that Krezk feels the same to me anymore, and I felt no more welcome in Teufeldorf.  Given my heritage I've no intention of going so far as Invidia, though; a mission to Sithicus could be interesting.  I have my doubts whether those Elves may be truely saved, but there are those of their kind enough in Darkon.

The work to be done in Barovia, in Vallaki in particular, cannot be stressed in it's importance.  The mission in Darkon thrives, yet in Vallaki, it seems the Legions of the Night and the Mists of Death have influence in every layer.  While the burden of service here is a great one... I've found no other calling to be so fulfilling. 

Everything will be scrutinized, the vellum will be held up against Her light, and the pin-holes of inadequacy will shine through.

W.L.
||||

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
8/17/767

I return to Vallaki to learn of the following "policy"

...a new policy regarding sermons given by visiting clergy.  The senior presiding anchorite must approve all sermons given by those outside of our parish before they can be delivered.  I cannot give specific guidelines on this, just use your better judgment.  Any sermon that may appear to incite or inflame local authorities or citizenry, or be offensive to our laity, should be scrutinized.

It seems that all visiting anchorites are now under censure.  I'm quite sure this doesn't apply to the Home Faith, or their ambassadors, and most certainly targets the Anchorites of the Last Redoubt, and their inquisitors. Perhaps someone spoke out about the tragedy of the death of Heris Jarian.

Heris was a good man, and I will never forget the intolerance and opposition, and the lack of support he was shown by his supposed brothers and sisters in faith.

I certainly have no intentions to forgive it, either.  His blood... is on all our hands.  Watch over me, brother, and may your soul rest in Her Grace.

W.L.
||||

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »
8/18/767

It is always a whirlwind, coming up to speed with the current caseload of work in this city.

I saw a demon woman in red yesterday, pale like the moon, nearly kill a heathen of an outlander religion...  I've seen Caliban in broad daylight, she-devils the color of soot running around freely... All of these, signs of the impending doom upon the land.

People are nonchalant.  The Legions of the Night creep so slowly into the senses, a werewolf becomes a normal affair! One must harden their resolve to regard these things as the vile filth they are and remain acute in our position against it!

Help arrives from Darkon, the call is being answered... Thank Ezra, we need all the support we can get in these dark times.  Now we must make ready our sword edge, make fast our shield arm... for the war is soon to come.

W.L.

||||

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
8/21/767

The heretic brags.  She flaunts aloud that she will rejoin the flock.  The churches camp of long-time supporters of this damned woman, this living extension of the Legions of the Night, surely attempt to subvert the will of the Inquisition.

"It's a matter I would leave for Inquisitional debate," Marcus had said.  There is no debate!  This blight upon the flock has been condemned... Yet, they would unravel my holy work however they can.

If this daemon-thrall, this woman of the night, were actually allowed to re-enter the fold, does anyone think it would truly last?  Do they really imagine this will be successful?  That she won't simply hold the door for any iadul fiends to walk freely into Ezra's house?

I am surrounded by opposition.  What little support we receive, is drowned by the current of Borcan corruption.  Acolytes and laity alike, seek the church and are turned away.  The Borcans discourage and belittle the Fourth Revelation, they'll use their little congenial facade to smear us into the black.

You frightened devils are not perfect, and thank Ezra you do make mistakes.  As your Templar Commander has taken it upon himself to deny the training of one of my templars... you know exactly what we're going to do.

And Templar Commander... I could vomit.  Your pursuit of unlawful carnal knowledge sickens me endlessly.  I will watch as your faith is devoured by that insatiable whore.

W.L.
||||

Ovidiu_Lacusta

Re: Journal of a Blackcoat
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
8/27/767

Ezra mourns those who shun the light, who are thus beyond Her reach... but Her scorn falls heavy upon those who turn against Her, those who take up sword against the living gospel...

Mercy does not shine upon their blackened skulls.  Yet there is a role in the Rationi Magna, for each of us... For some, the price of failure is worse than death.

I am to learn that our Sentire will soon face all charges against the church, in the Village.  I pray to Ezra... for an outcome that best serves the congregation.

W.L.
||||

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
The Warden lit some rosemary incense, as he studied the weathered, heretical book.

The outlander who gave it to him, seemed to know little of it's vileness. Well meaning, the man turned it in to the lawful authority of the church.

The files regarding the heresy were all sealed.  The book was Lacusta's only glimpse of the depravity... and it was quite enough, no, too much for one man to bear.  He had heard much about it in Darkon, but never details.

He closed the book.  There aren't enough hours in the day, he thought.  He couldn'tl make sense of it right now, in the midst of everything.

His attention turned to his road-worn robes.  The robes of the anchorite. In spite of numerous washings and all the incense he could burn, he could not get out the smell.

The ceremonial cloth had become saturated by the thick brown smoke; that smell of burning hair.  The day he would never forget.  A day of true betrayal and loss to the church.  He thought of the blackened skull left over from that day, and the place where it was buried.  He thought of the aspiring templar that he invested so much in, the man he lost face just to defend.

Only to have the same man turn on him and his precious acolyte, and attempt their murder.  As the thoughts cascaded through his mind, he habitually made a sign in the air over himself.  Ezra keep him, Ezra hold him, Ezra insulate him from this wickedness.  Ezra keep this secret.

Ezra bless the brothers that sprang to action... the limbs that rush? No, no...  Fold it up, store it with the wolfsbane and the belladonna, yes, keep it hidden, with the cyanide.

He looked at his other belongings.  Among them, a silvered steel sword, forged by none other than the former templar commander himself.  The blade had to be forged by one of Ezra's children, to be fit for it's intended recipient.  Another artist guilded the precious metals onto the steel, gold letters that shine powerfully, reading "A SCATTERING OF DIM STARS IN A SKY OF DEEPEST BLACK."  Ovidiu had at that time considered the former templar commander to be one of those dim stars... But after seeing the bias that he had for his base urges, toward that whore, the harlot, the viper in the flock... Ovidiu had to consider him forfeit.  His dismissal from the commander position would be muted and downplayed, another cover by the Borcans to keep their precious attack dog safe.

Yet, there were more imminent threats than one corrupted templar.  The Borcans were guilty of so, so much more.  They had refused supplicants of the Fourth Revelation for baptism, for ordination, they had turned away those seeking Ezra's glory.  They had said they must be more educated.  They must have more training.  We must train them.  No, you can't go to Darkon, that's insubordination.  They had done the same thing to Heris Jarian.  And where was he now?  Then the Warden would learn that one of the nuns of that new order, a fringe heresy of its own, one of these nuns did not even know who the Praesidius was.  Did not know what the meaning of the word Bastion was.  Knew nothing of the churches holidays.

Was in fact illiterate all together.  Not a crime, but if she was taught nothing by word of mouth... the fault is on the one who allowed this.  The bias was now clearer than ever.

The blister, the sore, the pox upon the faithful.  The one who condemned him.  The one who tried to ruin him.  The one who put us all in danger.

Alea iacta est, he thought.  He closed his eyes in prayer.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
4/27/767
*The letter is written in a diligent, fierce hand*

To his holiness, Inquisitor Meisser,

On 4/22/767, the Vallaki congregation became aware of a credible threat upon Warden di Morello's
life, a threat made in person, by none other than the hedonist defiler Serafim Ianescu.

Warden di Morello had entered the Refuge of Fifth Light distraught and frustrated that, in spite
of the threat posed by the League of Nine and the need for templars to protect the clergy closely, Templar Sinovia instead has chosen to keep company with Ianescu, neglecting his duties.

I voiced my own objections at the Templar taking counsel with heretics or apostates, saying that such efforts are exclusively the duty of the Anchorites.

The Vallaki congregation seems to possess such a great sympathy to this sensualist monster, Ianescu, and her pagan cabal, that her verbal threat to take the life of Warden di Morello fell upon deaf ears.  Warden di Morello herself spoke of ending the threat of this blight upon the faith, in a permanent manner, which others of the home faith criticized, then ignored.

The crimes of Ianescu, and her orgiastic, flesh obsessed predilections are well known by all.  Her livelihood earned running the house of ill repute in the Vallaki slums, has surely enabled her to spend even more time destroying faith and unraveling Ezra's will in the Rationi Magna.

As Serafim has placated, and poisoned the faith of so many, sympathizers, my mounting fear was that she would be able to pursue her threat upon Warden di Morello unchecked, and continue on to destroy any who she could not poison.  Warden di Morello has shown resilient faith and purity of mind regarding the defiler, and I suspect this is why Ianescu would escalate to a threat upon her life.

Among the criticisms defending Ianescu, was Toret Milea's remark that Ianescu carries the child of none other than the excommunicated pagan-witch, Krow.  Such a damned, caliban offspring would only bring further turmoil to the faith, and if carrying such an infernal minion in her womb insulates her from rightful justice, surely all dangerous enemies of the church could simply copulate to render themselves immune to the repercussions of their vile, disgusting conduct.

I, Warden Ovidiu Lacusta of the Fourth Revelation, ordained by Toret Francesca Boyce of Nevuchar Springs, will not abide this while there is breath in my body!

I immediately set aside the necessary tools for Ezra's holy work.  The defiler was easy to find. I had prepared to use the Inquisitive Purging verses, among other prayers, but I knew that prayers alone would not be enough to purge this monster.  I devised a collection of Darkonese Ezrite symbols, Sigilum, canonical to the Fourth Revelation, representing five moral virtues.
Of these symbols, I succeeded in branding her with, Devotion, Repentence, and Chastity.  I was interrupted by, and had to flee the witch Krow before I could complete the other two Sigilum.

Since the faithless political climate of Vallaki certainly prohibited simply ending the life of this wretched woman and her ill-begotten spawn, these Sigilum were deemed by me to be an appropriate level of force to dissuade any attack against Warden di Morello.  In carrying out this work I have made a great sacrifice of my progress, made by tiptoeing around the supposed sensibilities of the faithful, which are still detrimentally saturated by the fickle attitudes of the Pure Hearts.

Additionally, the appropriate placement of my Sigilum would have, in theory, inhibited the flow of blasphemous, pagan or arcane energies.  By marking Ianescu with holy runes of Our Guardian, I was intending to free her from the skeletal grip of the Mists of Death.  Her child, unharmed by my work, would have had a chance to develop rightly in that tainted womb, protected by the symbols from the forces that would twist it's likeness into the Legion-serving, flesh eating caliban that it's unholy parentage would otherwise ensure.

I knew I could trust none in the Vallaki congregation with the merciful piety I bestowed upon that horrible fiend.  Within a single day, the wardens silently ostracized me from meetings on ecclesiastical matters, placing all accusation immediately upon me without the slightest proof, only their speculation.  I offered them nothing in return for their lack of faith.

During the next mass, on the twenty fifth day of the fourth month, just passed, Sentire Costinus publicly interrupted worship to hand me over to the Garda.  It was truly blasphemous and a blow to our veneration of Ezra on Her Holy day.  I was summarily tortured for false charges of murder, the demonization of my holy work made complete, the garda refused to honor the sentence for assault, which I calculated, would have led to release after a few days.  They instead pandered to the, then present, deranged hedonist Ianescu, who because of the Vallaki church's actions, had the full support of the garda.  The Ezrites I had protected from Ianescu had now subjected me fully to her sadistic whims, now empowered by the cruelty of the Garda.

Instead of a conventional punishment, the Vallaki garda dared to emulate the symbology of Ezra as they imitated my Sigilum, upon myself.  They poured alcohol on my wounds, set me on fire, bludgeoning my head with gauntlets while shackled and naked, all in their effort to please the flesh daemon.

Her wretched influence far exceeds even what I originally thought.

Ianescu has surely set the Garda against the Church, such that they would dare to accuse Inquisitor Rowley of bribery and threaten him with a year in confinement. The Sentire's sympathies for her, at best, may be because of his previous failures and feelings of vengeance toward the Fourth Revelation, and at worst may be evidence of an even more base involvement with the sacrilegious, corruptive, half-Vistani desecrator called Serafim Ianescu!

In Ezra's holy name, your humble servant writes.

Warden Ovidiu Lacusta

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
9/13/767

The Defiler still thinks she is welcome in Ezra's holy church.

The Bringer of Ruin, she is truly a blight upon the efforts I make in Ezra's name.

Will she ever destroy enough?  Will her blasphemous appetite never be sated?

I do not think so.  Milea called Sinovia the harlot's Champion.  Why has he not been dismissed completely, now that his carnal nature is known?

Now I am punished, placed under censure again, because I set an example where none was set.

Call it my fault all you will, Milea.  You are the one who keeps allowing Serafim Ianescu to harm the church, even from a distance.

I will be patient and pray.  The Fourth Revelation in this country is nearly a dozen strong, now.  We are going to turn this tide of corruption and smite those who embrace the Mists of Death.

Warden Lacusta - IV

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
9/14/767

A wounded animal gnashes it's teeth in desperation.  The bourgeois facade fails, as the pin-prick holes of inadequacy show plainly, as the vellum is held to the Light.

Bias.  It is the color scarlet, like Sin, Ezra sees it plainly.  And so do I.

Hubris.  When she suspended me, she actually dared to say, "This is my church."

Blasphemy. No, woman; this is not your church. 

Denial. Do you think the garda are the ones spreading this rumor?  Or is it the Defiler who would have every household despise the church?

I know the answer.

Caterina di Morello would make a most fitting Sentire.  Her demeanor is neutral, her judgement fair; she is approachable.  And she does not openly disparage other sects.

Alea iacta est.  Your move, Milea.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
Ovidiu looked once more at the report that his faithful brother had provided him.  Sister Misha had acquired a shadow in the form of this one-armed necromancer.  It had to be him.

DOSSIER # 3

Name: Unknown
Legion Archetype: Necromancer
Pre-Legion Species: Human, Barovian.
Region: Barovia

Known Affilitations: None

Appearance Assessment:This indivual is can be easily identified by the fact he is missing an arm. During the Writer's brief encounter, he appeared wearing furs. White hair, with a poorly trimmed beard.

Personality assessment:

Narcissistic. Legion believes himself to be of some sort of "repute" and subseqeuently arrogant in all mannerisms. Aggressive and quick to anger. Practices the necormantic arts and can raise formidable undead.

Lair Assessment:

Unknown, although he was sighted within the Sun Cultist church crypt and grounds. He has made mention of being a resident of the Village of Barovia.

Threat Assessment:

High Risk, given his obscurity and quick-to-violent nature and penchant for raising the corpses of the living to undeath. Ezra cannot tolerate such defilement of the peaceful dead. Thorough investigation and quick dispatch is recommended before this madman engages in more sacrilege.

There was no question in his mind.  His brother was wrong after all, when he said he didn't have that much enthusiasm for the church.  For the holy work of Ezra. Yet here it was, all on paper.  He had said that nearly ten dossiers were complete - it was a fine start to much, much more.

The warden was jumpy.  The necromancer confirmed well enough his identity when he began uttering necromancy in front of them all.  When he used magic to follow them around after they declined his company.  "Ezrites keep to their own," he had said.  He didn't want the arcanist, the living extension of the Legions of the Night, to know he was on to him.  It was too late for that now.  Now he was just another piece of what they were planning, to come.

An interesting finding from his very long day was an explanation for while the Defiler had the Vallaki garda wrapped around her thumb.  He had a rueful smile, having learned that Ianescu had pursued a romance with none other than a former Vallaki guard.  That the man had died, they thought her a widow.

He laughed.

Evidently, the Prancing Nymph gave a lot of special attention to the Garda as well.  Ianescu was well known to spread her legs for the coin.  Hearing it made Ovidiu's spirits soar.  It was no surprise to him that, yet again, her influence was the result of her despicable conduct among the lewd folk.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »

Propagandist leaflets with vivid images of a Warden standing upright, lacerations on his body are sprawled in front of the large Temple sparing no expense in their appeal and printed typography - telling the tale of the exploits of a young Martyr Warden of the fourth revelation that hails from the wicked Lands of Barovia - dubbed as the greatest battlefield second to Darkon and the biggest threat of them all come the end of times.

The apocalyptic text recites in a romantic way, the struggles of a young Warden that stood up to the political corruption of greed and sensualist influence in those lands, betrayed to local law for standing up to what he believed to be right, sacrificing himself in body to torture with unwavering resolve in Faith. It follows with fervor about the need of aid in those corrupted, heathen-ridden lands - that it is every young anchorites' mission then to make pilgrimage to Barovia sooner than later to help a congregation 'in dire need of help and guidance' in what will be a raging battlefield of the Times of Unparalleled Darkness...