You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: About the examining player feature and wisdom scores  (Read 2066 times)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
About the examining player feature and wisdom scores
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
I was just here use the "eye" feature, I mean examine on someone, and when someone has a decent amount of wisdom it says that said character is aware or it's variations. I believe wisdom is also related to life experience, knowledge acquired and passed on through young and elderly. Having wisdom means someone knows about stuff, and not necessarily understands how stuff works. And I'm sure that pure clerics aren't very aware most of the time. They don't get listen/spot as class features, even if they cross-class, only at high level they would have some low awareness.

Then I suggest, instead of saying that player X is very aware most the time, why not say something like player X is naïve, player x looks seasoned. ((just silly examples))

Ovidiu_Lacusta

Re: About the examining player feature and wisdom scores
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:43:31 AM »
This makes sense, since the ability by its self doesn't mean good perception skills necessarily!

This reminds me of an idea I had to make the Examine feature supply information about if someone is Armed or not.

Weapons could be tagged somehow to make you fail the check, unless your hide defeats the spotter and the weapons are then successfully concealed? Ideas!

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
if there in a bag, you wouldn't see them? Specially bags of holding. .

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »
Life expereince might not describe it the best. A young cleric would have a higher wis score than a veteran barbarian. Which one saw more things in his life?

It'd be more like some calm stature, peaceful mind, tranquility. Understanding and questioning the things around us (which is high wis) often brings acceptance of things.
Hrm. I think high wisdom (i know it's not true), but something that should push chars towards the neutral line, be it either chaotic or lawful. It's like fully understanding balance of things.

Dunno.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:00:30 AM »
I rather like the take on that actually :o

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 07:03:48 AM »
Well, consider the high intelligence but low wisdom character. The way I interpret that is someone who is absent-minded, the overly scholarly type that knows the technical functioning of everything (even people) but lacks the insight to appreciate the more social, common-to-man, everyday, living aspect. It could be the expert in Freudian psychology that had no social abilities - like no situational sensibility and awareness. It is also this type of awareness that the description suggests.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
It is also this type of awareness that the description suggests.

J/K

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
Well, consider the high intelligence but low wisdom character. The way I interpret that is someone who is absent-minded, the overly scholarly type that knows the technical functioning of everything (even people) but lacks the insight to appreciate the more social, common-to-man, everyday, living aspect. It could be the expert in Freudian psychology that had no social abilities - like no situational sensibility and awareness. It is also this type of awareness that the description suggests.

I have a perfect RL example of this. I had a room mate when I was in my early 20's. Probably the smartest person I have ever met. He learned Greek for the fun of it. Complicated math was as natural to him as breathing. I saw this man test if an electric clothes iron was hot or not by firmly placing the palm of his hand on it. Or rather I saw him getting ready to do his ironing out of the corner of my eye as I was watching TV.... then I heard a hissing noise followed my a scream. He had little circle burn makrs from the bottom of the iron on the palm of his hand for at least a year.

So for me: Intelligence knowing the iron gets hot (possibly also knowing exactly how it does so). Wisdom is knowing to not test its temperature with your hand.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
I have a perfect RL example of this. I had a room mate when I was in my early 20's. Probably the smartest person I have ever met. He learned Greek for the fun of it. Complicated math was as natural to him as breathing. I saw this man test if an electric clothes iron was hot or not by firmly placing the palm of his hand on it. Or rather I saw him getting ready to do his ironing out of the corner of my eye as I was watching TV.... then I heard a hissing noise followed my a scream. He had little circle burn makrs from the bottom of the iron on the palm of his hand for at least a year.

So for me: Intelligence knowing the iron gets hot (possibly also knowing exactly how it does so). Wisdom is knowing to not test its temperature with your hand.

Hehe, good example.

I don't recall if it's mentioned in any official D&D book, but I recall having heard it described very similarly as "Intelligence is knowing it is raining, wisdom is knowing to go inside."

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
I recall having heard it described very similarly as "Intelligence is knowing it is raining, wisdom is knowing to go inside."

This explains why most characters don't give the slightest damn about rain? Bunch of unaware people!

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »

Ahahahahahh