Author Topic: Armor Speed Reduction  (Read 5187 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Armor Speed Reduction
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »
the unbalancing is that a mage a ranger a rogue a cleric well anything that doesnt wear armor and is ranged  can beat a barb and a  figther     while these are classes that are supposed to be able to handle armors they took the feat or simply have the feat for a reason.

now arnt we getting a little crazy with the realism and wanting reductions ideas?
its a make believe world with magic     realism means theres no magic either   also that means that majorety of the playerbase should swap to natives and not fearun chars  as there are more barovians and other core people then there are outlanders.

so whats next i got to push a button to breath every min else i die ingame?

Here is the funny thing; this is not realistic. Fighters and barbarians and other guys who would have trained for using heavy armor. Can run and jog and what not in them. That is possible, that is realistic. Hell people could do cartwheels in plate armor. So this request is not giving us more realism ironically enough.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »

I can already tell this is going to be one of those threads. Do be civil to each other.

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »
now arnt we getting a little crazy with the realism and wanting reductions ideas?
its a make believe world with magic     realism means theres no magic either   also that means that majorety of the playerbase should swap to natives and not fearun chars  as there are more barovians and other core people then there are outlanders.

:rock:

Eagle882

• Outlander
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but... these are the mechanics I'm sure we've all been dealing with for quite some time.  Why make a fuss over this now?  Just because a developer can custom script weight reduction to make things more "Realistic?"  Besides, if this were to be done, there would have to be some sort of balancing act, and figuring that out can be tedious.
Temporarily retired.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »

I can already tell this is going to be one of those threads. Do be civil to each other.

so can i that means civil wise is not an option   
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Badelaire

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
REALISM!!!

People wore armour for one reason and one reason alone: To protect themselves and if it didn't allow you to be mobile while wearing it, it failed one of the design keys to making armour. It never made much sense why a hulking great warrior dressed head to toe in steel would be taking the same damage as a thin, reedy dude in his wizard hat and robes when both get stabbed with a dagger. Realistically (urgh, seriously?) there would be heavy DR properties for each type of armour, even a boiled leather cuirass can turn a sword blow very well.

Inversely, plate mail wasn't designed to be worn 24/7 though in campaigns, there are many accounts of nobles being forced to sleep in their armour due to impending attack. They aren't pleasant accounts as far as relieving yourself goes. If you wore armour indefinately, you' have -10 charisma from the smell of stale sweat, piss and faeces alone. >.>

Fear not though ye playboy swordsmen who want to fight battles AND dalliance with the ladies. There is a rare loot drop one can aquire in game. Tis the Armour of Comfort, a very nice banded mail that only weighs 8lbs and is magically imbued to smell like lavender. BANG!! And the smell is gone.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:51:07 PM by Badelaire »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »
Always looking to sell stuff huh. Pffff typical vardo
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 04:41:50 AM »
The topic was brought up on the feedback portion under wilderness feature. Some of the other members add movies to the thread. I think it would be interesting to talk about Arms and Armor. What it meant for people back in the period where are character would be from.
Remember we aren't just playing a game, but trying to emulate a point in history with a fantasy twists. So, it is good to keep in mind actual historical facts about things. I would like to touch on Arms and Armor.

Here are some quotes from that thread.
interesting experiment using replica armor and running on treadmills

http://io9.com/secret-history/

Here is a video on armor that might be helpful
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC_squo6X4&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLJwUKM3t_dDI[/youtube]

If you notice in the movies that they modeled some platemail, especially in the longer one from the museum a guy had a suit of plate modeled for him.

What I am saying from an RP perspective, is the smith and the character receiving the armor should be together at the forge or at least the smith needs to take measurements of the character. This goes especially for platemail, since its quite an investment of the character and the suit would be tailored to fit his/her body. We are all guilty of producing plate without a wearer in mind. I'm trying to change that some.

If not then the suit should be modify using RP to fit the character. The suit should be modified by a smith or someone learning smithing at least one crafting level in it.  I don't believe a character with little knowledge of making arms and armor should be able to modify armor without causing some damage to it.

Same goes with blades and arms. A person of this time would know how to maintain their armor as well as their blade. A sword isn't just a sword. It can be the pride of a character. Even if the blade is a mundane steel sword. Swords were often passed down through father to son, if my information is correct. Again, a blade is an investment to a warrior just like a Winchester rifle was for a civil war soldier. A warrior should have some means of costuming their weapon but not completely altering it without damaging it. One of the reasons smiths traveled with armies were to help repair and maintain weapons and armor. Something that can be RPed. 

A good movie to watch on western martial arts is Rekindling the Blade, or something like that. (Cant remember the exact name) It touched greatly on sword play and what the sword meant. Some things I just want to bring up.

And old post. Understand armor and you would understand it doesn't make you slower. It just burns calories which the devs already put in place with the exhaustion system

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 07:12:58 AM »
Well, it does kind of have PnP backing (Heavier armour does reduce speed quite substantially in PnP)

However, so does applying a permanent movespeed reduction of around 20% to Halflings, Gnomes, and Dwarves.

Go in for a pound or not at all, I say.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
REALISM!!!

People wore armour for one reason and one reason alone: To protect themselves and if it didn't allow you to be mobile while wearing it, it failed one of the design keys to making armour. It never made much sense why a hulking great warrior dressed head to toe in steel would be taking the same damage as a thin, reedy dude in his wizard hat and robes when both get stabbed with a dagger. Realistically (urgh, seriously?) there would be heavy DR properties for each type of armour, even a boiled leather cuirass can turn a sword blow very well.

Inversely, plate mail wasn't designed to be worn 24/7 though in campaigns, there are many accounts of nobles being forced to sleep in their armour due to impending attack. They aren't pleasant accounts as far as relieving yourself goes. If you wore armour indefinately, you' have -10 charisma from the smell of stale sweat, piss and faeces alone. >.>

Fear not though ye playboy swordsmen who want to fight battles AND dalliance with the ladies. There is a rare loot drop one can aquire in game. Tis the Armour of Comfort, a very nice banded mail that only weighs 8lbs and is magically imbued to smell like lavender. BANG!! And the smell is gone.

Most people are typically not aware that the assembly and removal of full plate was a fairly extensive process, often entailing of interval of two to four hours and requiring between one to three vassals to unfetter the entire rig. Ergo:

REALISM!!! (Note: This does not entirely apply to Latin segmented plate. That is an entirely different matter.)
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
I think this idea of realism is taking it too far. After all the setting is magical and well Ravenloft and Dungeons and Dragons in general is a FANTASY setting! That means we have Dragons, Vamps and stuff. Adding realism to decrease the fun-factor is a no-go in my opinion. If the realism ADDS to the fun, then it's a different matter.

Gimme the GEP gun.