You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Jurnal de un orfan Thaani  (Read 5926 times)

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
  • The Red Academy of Hazlan
Jurnal de un orfan Thaani
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »

//Buried at the bottom of Nimos Dejti's backpack.

Nazara Xethos - "House Za'am is as contagious as Lycanthropy. Get afflicted."

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
Re: Jurnal de un orfan Thaani
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »
[The following pages are written in balok]

Luna 6 Zuia 1

Tomorrow I am leaving the only place I have ever called home, The Abbey of the Dove. It’s a humble hospice a day walk south of Immol.  

Mother Brigit has arranged passage for me on a Hazlani caravan bound for the city of Arbora. A magi of the Goddess has agreed to tutor me as his apprentice. Sister Lejia has taught me some in regards to candle work, astrology, symbols, reading and writing, circles and rituals. She taught me simple charms and spells, not much beyond glamour cantrips and fortune telling.  Having the opportunity to learn the craft from an actual wizard is a gift of circumstance I never thought was possible. I know in my heart that learning a deeper level of the mysteries of the arcane is the Goddess’ will.

I have heard stories of the rugged seaside city with its calm ocean breeze and pleasant climate.  I am filled with excitement and wonder at the mysteries I will learn.
My backpack and duffle bag is packed. We leave at dawn.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:01:33 PM by Nimos Dejti »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
Luna 5 Zuia 12

I have travelled for a week and a half atop this ox drawn wagon. The caravan master has shoved a crossbow in my hand and told me to watch for bandits. The wagon driver, a one handed Rashami named Cengis said we had crossed into his homeland yesterday. It was easy to notice the change from Barovia to Hazlan. The air was dry and held the scent of cinnamon and wood smoke. The sun showered us with bright yellow rays and the land held a gentle downward slope in an eastward direction. It gave the feeling of going downhill.

All throughout the day I watched the cliffs and ridges for signs of bandits. None appeared.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »
Luna 5 Zuia 26

Finally I have an opportunity to update my diary.

Our caravan was attacked last night as we camped on the road just a few days past the city of Sly-Var. Can’t say for certain who or what attacked us but they came out of the shadows like madmen. All I can clearly remember was Cengis awakening me as flaming arrows showered down upon us. I fled into the grasslands with Cengis. A black rider trampled Cengis down and speared him through the back. 

I ran all through the night, only to stumble into a fogbank at the edge of a low stream. As I crawled on my hands and knees through mud and water, I found myself entering a camp of gypsies. The sound of music and the light of the fire was a welcomed relief.

I was able to purchase some dried clothes and bread from a Vistani merchant. Learned that for some reason, the Goddess saw fit to rescue me from certain death and transported me back to Barovia, this time to the Grey City, Vallaki.

Find myself saddened at the murder of Cengis. I will pray to the Goddess that his spirit finds rest in the afterlife. The gypsy trader said I can earn quick coin by hunting mink pelts. Tomorrow morning I will begin the hunt and explore this place. Hopefully I can learn why the Goddess has brought me here and for what purpose she has in mind.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
Luna 6 Zuia 3

These past two weeks I have hunted mink pelts and gathered herbs. It is easy coin. I have earned enough to purchase some durable clothes and a warm cloak. I spend my nights in the slum district. I have found a safe house, an abandoned hospice.

When I am not hunting or collecting herbs and plants I often spend my day in a placed called, The Outskirts. Its a green lawn between a tavern and a temple just past the cities western gate. Its a strange placed filled with all manner of criminals, faerie-folk, fanatics and madmen. The city guard tries its best to regulate these homeless foreigners, but there efforts appear to be futile.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »
Luna 7 Zuia 11

I have made a considerable sum collecting herbs and sellling them in the Outskirts. I have bought a few books and varja scrolls from the gypsy merchant. Studing is slow. I wish I had paid more attention to Sister Leija's instructions.

The abandoned hospice I found serves as an adequate home. I share it with the lost and forgotten of Vallaki.

For this, I am blessed and grateful.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
Luna 7 Zuia 21

Saw a strange figure last night. The sun had just set and as I was closing and latching the door to the hospice I saw it. Standing in the shadow of the alley it watched me, judging. Cloaked and cowled it stood silent and still, my fingers froze with an familiar fear. Times like this I despise being alone and vulnerable. As I gathered my senses I slammed the door and secured it. All night I stood vigil in the hospice nether sleeping nor awake, but something different, something new.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:34:42 PM »
[No date entered. The hand writing is shaky and scratched]

I have asked a local guild to research something for me. I fear they do not grasp the danger lurking beneath Vallaki. They bragged arrogantly about travelling to the Land of Red Sky and Lightning, They have giving a name that I have not heard in along time, The Silent Masters.

This confirms my worst fears.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:49:56 PM by Nimos Dejti »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
[Again no date and the handwriting appears rushed]

I have entered into a contract with a magi. As per his instructions I will make no record of his identity. Within these pages he will be referred too only as, Lord White.
Lord White has begun my instruction in the arts of the lesser arcana. He has taught me many common runes and signs. The written script he is teaching me is called, Draconic. Lord White said it is the proper language of all competenet wizards.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
Luna 1 Zuia 2

These idiots. No one appreciates the situation. Those whom I had sought for help speak openly in taverns without respect or discretion. I had asked for confidential amenity, instead that foolish girl openly mocked and insulted The Silent Masters. How can I entrust her with The Grey Codex? Amateurs!

Lord White refuses to give advice. According to the terms of our contract he will neither aide nor hinder. Frustration and apprehension rule my emotions.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Luna 1 Zuia 13

Lord White has taught me a new spell. A summoning ritual. I have called for and bound myself with a child of the woods, a fey of the Seelie Court. Her name is Simu. A kind creature who loves to play games and practical jokes. Her fickle nature is amusing but her attention span is limited. Yet still I feel less alone. She has begun teaching me her speech, she calls it Sylvan.

Its good to finally have someone I can call friend.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
Lina 4 Zuia 11

Spring has arrived and I have been busy gathering herbs and roots for potion brewing. Simu has continued to teach me the words of her folk. Lord White, as sporadic as his lessons have become has started my instruction in The Fifth Circle.

Simu has brought me to a secret place in the village of Barovia. A temple to an ancient goddess. Not unlike my beloved Hala. The priests call her Mystra, they have offered me sanctuary. I am grateful to finally have a safe place to rest my head.

It has been months since I have last seen The Silent Masters. Hala willing, I have been forgotten.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
[A page inserted from another book. Notes have been added to the bottom]

These cultists hide nothing from me. Secrets are revealed with honest intentions. Ancient words and formulae are instructed with no price asked. I command fire with mere words, I bind spirits within circles. Forbidden runes have been made known to me. New worlds open before my eyes.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »
Luna 6 Zuia 1

After months away I again find myself in the Outskirts. Nothing has changed. The Ladies Rest is still a rowdy circus of criminals and madmen. The stench of cheap ale, unwashed bodies and urine greeted me as I opened the tavern door. The bouncer turns a blind eye and the inn keeper collects her coin.

I have had the good fortune of sharing a drink with my old associate and part time body guard Giano Flomen. Giano was among the first in Vallaki to offer kindness and a helping hand as I crawled from the mists lost and without coin. He bought me a cloak from the gypsy and some food. A deed of kindness I have not forgotten.

Something has changed in my old comrade. He has lost weight. His once tanned complexion has turned pale with an unhealthy sheen. His eyes swollen from lack of sleep. Something vexes my friend but he refused to speak of what it is.

In truth I have witnessed this before. He is not unlike the rest of these outlanders. Lost and discarded. Stolen from their homes and loved ones. The land has a way of draining its inhabitants of mirth and joy. Not unlike prisoners held with a life sentence. No hope of escape, freedom a forgotten dream.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »
Luna 6 Zuia 7

Word has reached my ear that my mentor Lord White has perished. This would explain his absence. Even though he remained an enigma to me I morn his passing. I am told he died at the hands of a Nosferatu. Giano says he fell in the sewers. I must learn the indentity of his murderer. I must bring justice to my master.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Luna 7 Zuia 11-20

I have found myself in the most curious place. I paid the vistana at Tser’s Fall for passage. I had no destination in mind I only wished for someplace new.

Now I find myself at one of their camps. The caravan captain said it is a place that is not a place. It appears as an opening within a forest surrounded by ancient oak and hemlocks. The glen is surrounded by a think ring of white fog. This fog hides the sun, moon and stars from view. I even braved the forest in an attempt to find an end. Despite my best efforts to walk in a straight direction I found myself always returning to the camp in an opposite direction. It’s almost like this “Mist Camp” is a realm of its own.

I have witnessed a myriad collection of travelers. These gypsies have quit a lucrative business in ferrying travelers throughout the Core. Two individuals of note was a man and woman, or elf-maid I should say, one Professor du Bourge and his companion Lady Goldflame. Both man and maid proved to be very polite and pleasant in conversation. The professor invited me to attend one of his lectures  at the University of Dementlieu within the city of Port au Lucern.  I think I will make every effort to attend.

I have purchased a scroll from the Vistani trader. A protection charm that repeals a rival wizards curse.  This being a most useful and powerful abjuration spell.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »
[No date and the hand writting is sloppy]

Only two days back in Vallaki and I almost died. Was ambushed last night in the sewers. Four vampires I counted. One was small, the next a man with bare chest and hood, the last twin sisters. The mean sister stunned with me a magic word. The small one wanted me to bleed on a pile of gems.... This one I think is Scurvy. Mothers' son.

Strange part is that none of them feed. Instead they toyed with me. Asked me questions on life and my faith. I walked away only to be rewarded with an arrow in the back. Saw that one coming.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:25:37 AM by Nimos Dejti »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
Luna 1 Zuia 27

The power of one word! I have researched and discovered that one word that the vampire used to disable me. The formulae is so simple, yet so complex. I have tested it on a large black wolf. One word and the beast stood stunned, at my mercy.

Now my hunt begins!

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Luna 2 Zuia 11

I forget sometimes how cold Barovian winters can be. Long months spent at the Mist Camp, no rain, no winter, always summer. This has softened by hide.

A business contract has been reached between myself and a man calling himelf, Viktor the Svalich Gypsy. He is a strange man to behold, albino! He collects and sells artifacts. He has agreed to sell my varnishes. Condition being I help him retrieve "Said Artifacts". Translation, Tomb Looting.

Why not, It has a lucrative potential.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:30:41 PM by Nimos Dejti »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »
Luna 2 Zuia 13

Viktor will met me at the Mist Camp in three days. From this point we will stock up on supplies and water skins. Our destination is the desert wastes of ancient Ha'akair. Treasure laden tombs await with rich plunder.

I must admit this gypsy is charming and convincing, but I hope he can handle himself in a pinch. Rumors have it great wealth lays beneath those ancient sands, wealth and death.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
[No date]

I am fascinated at how easily I can lose track of time while staying at the Gypsy Camp. Days run into weeks run into months. I left a message for Viktor with the Mist Captain. Told him I’ll meet him at the rest hall in the Village of Muhar.

It was a quick journey in the covered wagon. When the small painted door opened, I was blinded by this extraordinary new world!

Though I was raised in Immol I never felt like a Barovian. I never felt like I belonged. Here, in this place, it’s like the ancient monuments call out to me. The yellowed sands and the hot desert winds welcome and invite me to wander the wastes.

It’s strange for me to admit this to myself but, I feel some unexplainable and haunting force compelling me to search the desert. For what I don’t know, but I have no fear, no concern. Only a thirst to explore!

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »
[No date]

Here in this decrepit oasis village I have found a wise man. A man named Khnumhotep. He claims to be the last in an ancient line of Akiri Magi.
Khnumhotep runs a small relic shop in the center of the village. He is attended by a mute dark eyed slave girl.

For a price Khnumhotep has parted with “Some” of his knowledge. According to his story, the ancient magi of this land once revered a deity called Thoth. According to my new friend the Temple of Thoth was a vast repository, a library of magical study and education. The Magi of Thoth served the gods in humility and harmony for thousands of years.

That is until the cursed king, the Pharaoh Ankhtepot committed some unknown and unspeakable vile act thus offending the gods and severing the “Ma’at” from the land. As punishment the gods sought to isolate the evil of the pharaoh. The gods cursed the village and the surrounding desert with the “Wall of Ra”. Little else was given regarding this damned king or his curse.

By deduction I have come to believe that “Ma’at” is the Akiri term for magic or the “Science of Magic”. If Khnumhotep’s tale is true and this temple still exists buried out there in the wastes, then I intend to find it. What wonders and secrets it must conceal excites my imagination with no end.

I have purchased several papyrus scrolls form the “Last of the Akiri Magi”. The formulae and script is in a strange runic pattern of symbols and pictographs that Khnumhotep calls, Hieroglyphs. I have set myself to the task of learning this code and uncovering it secrets.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:21:30 PM by Nimos Dejti »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »
Luna 7 zi 12

The vistani Protra made no joke when he said "Water is life in Har'akir". I find myself constantly needing drink. Even in the shade of the drinking hall or inside a tent my thirst plagues me. A slave told me it would take time for my body to acclimate to the desert heat.

Time indeed. I do hope Viktor got my message. If our venture is to be successful in this land we will need adequate supplies.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
luna 7 zi 13

Without proper supplies I am hesitant to explore the wastes alone. Until I get used to this heat I feel the wisest course is to gather as much information as I can from the locals. I have secured a month’s lodging in the House of Rest. The matron is a native woman who is very fond of cats, her name is Am'sheir.

Spoke with the defacto ruler of this village, the Priestess Snefu. She is a striking beauty of dark and mysterious features. She freely answered my questions.
This land is indeed under a curse. According to the priestess the "Wall of Ra" surrounds the northern, western and eastern edges like a horse shoe. The south is bordered by canyons and a step plateau. In ancient times this area, called the Abal River Valley was a fraction of a much larger and powerful empire. This empire was ruled by "God Kings". These semi-divine rulers alone answered to the gods. They ruled by proxy and wielded undisputed power.

The last of these god kings, Ankhtepot brought "Disestablishment" to the Ma'at. The gods where angered and cursed the king and his subjects. According to the priestess "the dead now rebel against the living, jealous for the life they have lost".

Now the inhabitants of Muhar cower behind stone brick walls as the angry spirits and vengeful dead stalk to night sands. Not unlike Barovia.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:16:46 PM by Nimos Dejti »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
luna 7 zi 29

At last my business associate has arrived. We have begun the dangerous process of exploring the forgotten temples and ruins. Gathering of scarab caps remains few and far between. Some relics have been retrieved so far. For now we build our inventory.