You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Booting issue, again  (Read 3309 times)

Budly

• Dark Power
Booting issue, again
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
Have the same issue I had about some months ago.

I will suddenly get booted for several minutes. Out of nowhere. I am still seen as online on the server and I can run about a bit when it happens but I cannot talk, see whats in my inventory and so on.

It is a booting, like the server crashes or something. It also makes for some very unstable RP situations.

I really see no reason why this would happen again, I done no recent changes to NWN.

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Booting issue, again
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »
So much for posting here  :lol:

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
Sounds like router issues.

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
Many people have responded, but they are having a similar problem where they can see themselves on the forum and post, but no one sees the post.   :lol:

And what Knas said.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
Router? But shouldn't it show itself in other games? I can play like League of Legends without problems.

Any way to solve these problems or is the router breaking again? Since I do think when we bought a new one it went away.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
Okay...this is starting to annoy me now! NWN Acting up, AGAIN. I will try my other cable I use in the PS3.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Many people have responded, but they are having a similar problem where they can see themselves on the forum and post, but no one sees the post.   :lol:

And what Knas said.

And this? There been issues with seeing posts on the community board?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:44 PM »
Okay, this is starting to piss me off. Stupid NWN.

Forral

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »
Have the same issue I had about some months ago.

I will suddenly get booted for several minutes. Out of nowhere. I am still seen as online on the server and I can run about a bit when it happens but I cannot talk, see what's in my inventory and so on.

It is a booting, like the server crashes or something. It also makes for some very unstable RP situations.

I really see no reason why this would happen again, I done no recent changes to NWN.

As far as I can tell you're "lagging out" of the server for some reason. I don't know exactly how technically apt you are, but in layman's terms your problems are caused because packages of communication being sent back and forth from the server to your computer aren't getting there fast enough or, alternatively, not at all. The speed in which packages are sent back and forth is represented by a value called Ping; it shows the time in milliseconds that it takes for the communication to bounce back and forth between you and the server. In these situations you'll likely see your "ping" sky-rocket from a reasonable value, usually between 25 to 200, and then spiral up into the 10.000's and even further until eventually your computer decides that the signal's not getting there and you time-out and lose your connection. You see yourself as being able to walk around and such because that happens client-side, that's to say, it happens on *your* computer but chances are no one else will see you moving, because that information is never communicated back to the server. The same goes for your inability to see the items in your inventory, harm enemies and so forth.

Of the potential culprits to cause this problem, router issues are the most likely. It could however be due to any number of other matters, some beyond your control. Your Internet Service Provider might be messing with things they shouldn't, but you might also be overtaxing your internet's transfer rate through listening to streaming music while you play, or perhaps by downloading something. A poorly configured torrent client (if you're into that sort of stuff) can easily hijack your bandwidth and leave you stranded with no juice left for NWN. If you're not doing that, could anyone else in the household be using up the bandwidth on something else? My girlfriend's router actually packs up and shuts down every time she tries to download stuff through torrent services, likely due to both client and router settings, requiring a manual restart of the router to re-gain internet access. She's convinced its the gods of the internet punishing her for trying to download episodes of Once Upon a Time before they are aired in her country.  :lol:

I can't truly offer any helpful advice, I'm afraid, but I know from personal experience that it bloody sucks to be stuck with an issue that you can't solve. Regardless, from what I can see there's absolutely nothing unusual about the symptoms you encounter in the game from your problems; those at least are perfectly normal. The trick is figuring out why the packages aren't going where they should be going, or even more importantly, why they suddenly stop doing what they did so amiably moments ago.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:51:01 PM by Forral »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »
Just found this. Thanks mate.

It is really getting annoying =/

My father uses his computer at the same time. I guess my million tabs in Mozilla might be an issues too.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
Try to direct connect to NWN. It should reduce some of the ressources you need to run the game.