You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wildshape Forms  (Read 5159 times)

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
Wildshape Forms
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
Can we haz?? So nice!

It would be sooo nice to have other options for a druid wildshape. The game creators epically failed minimizing it to just the 5 forms, and no bird ones.  (Minus the treant obviously lolz) :D

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

Thani

• Undead Master
Re: Wildshape Forms
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
More forms would be appreciated for any kind of shapechanging ability or spell.

Badelaire

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »
I'm always for more variation. I keep harping on about the custom familiar and animal companion system of CoA. I'd roll a friggin' druid just to snag me an ancient dire crocodile called Snappy. As for wildshapes, Bulette plz. I iz landshark, I iz hungry.

RAWR
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:19:03 PM by Badelaire »

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
The only reason I'd disagree with this; Is because there is already enough 'cute animal roleplaying druids' that roam the outskirts.. when you add mice, puppies and cats its just going to get worse. If people were penalized for not adhearing to a druids oaths and keeping the balance, I'd love this.

The only keeping me from playing my favorite class, the druid, is because of the shifting limitations. After playing one before that has 20-25 underdark themed forms, I can't go back to bioware forms.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:46:14 PM by Rhymenoceros »

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
We should be mature enough to give the player base the benefit of the doubt and assume they wont just all play cute kitten and puppy play, besides if they do just do this

[Stamps on the cats tale] [kicks the dogs hind legs]

Barovia is a harsh land, with harsh people, and no one would think twice about kicking a stray cat or dog out of the way if it was bothering them. Theres no PETA for them to cry too.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Theres no PETA for them to cry too.

Clearly you havn't been to the Outskirts when a shapeshifted wolf, or a DM controlled animal is there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:37:08 PM by Elfric »

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Badelaire

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »

Clearly you havn't been to the Outskirts when an shapeshifted wolf, or a DM controlled animal is there.

Funny bone breakage. It's over 9000.

dark_majico

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Find me a dog and I will skin it and make soup.

Thani

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »
Cat could be pretty awesome if not played like some cuddly kitty.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Perhaps it would be possible to create a custom "shapechange" spell, or alter the existing in some way to include the following....

Player uses a widget or command such as @targetshape and then targets a npc(monster type obviously), and the creature appearance is saved to the widget or PC.  When the spell is later cast they have an option to change to the saved form instead of one of the others.  Druid wildshapes could be limited to forms that fall under the Animal Category, while Mage shapes might be a more broad variety, but also limited in some scope or another.

It would also then be possible to use the same sort of widget/script to target members of another race for the purposes of a Change Self spell, temporarily allowing the guise of another to be used(at least outward appearances).

This would also mean having to find a particular creature to immulate in game before being able to take said form. 

Probably a fair amount of work to implement though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sage - When stories come to life

Thani

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
Perhaps it would be possible to create a custom "shapechange" spell, or alter the existing in some way to include the following....

Player uses a widget or command such as @targetshape and then targets a npc(monster type obviously), and the creature appearance is saved to the widget or PC.  When the spell is later cast they have an option to change to the saved form instead of one of the others.  Druid wildshapes could be limited to forms that fall under the Animal Category, while Mage shapes might be a more broad variety, but also limited in some scope or another.

It would also then be possible to use the same sort of widget/script to target members of another race for the purposes of a Change Self spell, temporarily allowing the guise of another to be used(at least outward appearances).

This would also mean having to find a particular creature to immulate in game before being able to take said form. 

Probably a fair amount of work to implement though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

That would be cool but I bet people would get really creative about abusing it.

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
Well the cute puppy yeah, I can see how that'd be an issue... but the cat form could be a well placed ruse to learn information if played right.

I imagine it'd be easy enough for the devs to remove what forms they don't want too.. I think? No idea heh. I just thought the stags, and the birds and the other bear and lion forms were a nice addition considering the different areas we have. IE: Mountains, Desert, Forests ect

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »

Clearly you havn't been to the Outskirts when a shapeshifted wolf, or a DM controlled animal is there.

I remember the time a DM controlled skunk showed up in the outskirts. All the 'heroes' who would not think twice about driving a pack of werewolves out of the outskirts into the nighttime forest, fled in terror from one normal skunk.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

MadMage99

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »
Would so run around as a puppy... and then when someone tried to stomp Krow's tail. he'd turn into an earth elemental and stomp them! "This is PETA, Medieval style!"

In all seriousness though. Do want.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »
You give players the opportunity to roleplay cute animals and someone will. Seen it here before already.

This is Ravenloft, not Hello Kitty Pet Playhouse.  :dozey:

Thani

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
You give players the opportunity to roleplay cute animals and someone will. Seen it here before already.

This is Ravenloft, not Hello Kitty Pet Playhouse.  :dozey:
This, but I'm also a grumpy bastard when it comes to anything related to romance, cuteness and such that I dare not even type.

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 01:10:09 AM »
You're right its not.

But Vampire MPC's have bat form.

Wizards/Sorcerers with bird familiars can possess those.

It would be nice to see druids have the option to pick something like one of the deer in the forests, or the blood hawks in Ghakis. Or a Lioness in Har'Akir. At least the bird forms would be a nice addition, considering they are animal forms.

Anyhow. I didn't make the suggestion for the kitties and puppies. The text on the screenshot was the creator of the haks thing. I was interested in the other wild animal forms. :) Not the pet forms.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 08:34:51 AM »
In my own opinion; there is a big difference between say, something I've done on my vampire; being a bat and 'hanging about' in a tree in the outskirts.. than say, A druid becoming a bear and rolling about and doing 'beary' thing blatantly in the outskirts, or a badger rolling about in the grass.

I'm a bat because I want to avoid attention and blend in with my environment, without being ridiculous and just sitting in mist form the entire time.

When a druid is blatantly sitting in the outskirts doing animal things. It really doesn't seem to be anything more than "I want to roleplay as an animal" and "I want attention because these polymorphs are 'cool.' Nature and the Gods don't bestow the powers druid's have to be cute, Its a dedicated 'calling' to uphold the Balance.

Heres a good read I've got tucked away from somewhere.

Spoiler: show

Druids have two main objectives:

• Uphold the Balance
  • Protect Nature

The crux of the druidic oath is based on these two tenets. Generally, druidic circles form and govern over a specific area of land.

Upholding the Balance
Druids believe that the forces of Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos are all equally relevant to the functioning of the cosmos. When any of these grows more powerful than its opposing force, the druids will carefully consider the situation, and if deemed necessary, they will aid the "losing" force to the extent that balance is somewhat restored. For example, if Lawfulness is bordering on tyranny, and individualism is being threatened on a mass scale, they will work to promote chaos until a balance is somewhat restored, and vice versa. If Evil is growing in great power and threatening to overwhelm good, they will aid the forces of good until such a time as things are more evenly balances, and vice versa. Thus, a druid who willfully neglects to pay attention to the Balance, or who works to swing things in an even more lopsided direction, could lose druid powers. For example, the nearby lands are dominated by an ultra lawful cabal of rulers, who are oppressing all and sundry in the area. If a druid then works to maintain the status quo by enforcing the laws, or say, joining forces with the ruling powers, they would lose druid powers. If they did the exact same actions in an area fraught with anarchy, they would be maintaining the balance, as per their oaths.

Protecting Nature
Druids are charged with being the defenders of Nature, and swear to protect nature when they become a druid. This does not necessarily mean slaying people out hunting for food, or clearing wildlands to grow crops. Whereas certain more psychotic druids may very well take this stance, it is not the norm. Druids generally oppose damaging the natural world for unnatural reasons. Hunting for food is natural. Hunting for skins to sell and make a profit trading them is not. Clearing land to grow crops is natural. Razing the land as an act of war is not. Likewise, druids will enable no callous harm to animals. Thus, they will oppose casual slaughter, torture, or any unnatural act forced upon an animal (such as being forced to fight in cage event, or even taken out of it's environment to serve as prowling attack creature in an estate). This extends to their own animal companions, who are considered equal beings to the druid, and often their closest friends.

A druid who neglects to protect the natural world, or does something to actively harm it, will no longer be considered a druid.

Other oaths
  • Druids may not wear metal armor or shield, or brandish non-druidic metal weaponry (exception is druids of Mielikki)
  • Druids may not take up permanent residence in a city, castle, temple, etc, as this is considered a concession to the unnatural world.
  • A druid may not teach the secrets of the druidic Order and/or their own Circle, to any non-druid.
  • Violation of a ban imposed by the ranking druids in an area may result in loss of druidic status. A 'ban' is generally achieved when all members of the local druidic circle meet to discuss an issue, and then vote on whether a ban should implimented. For example, if a local druid has slaughtered a village callously because the harbored hunters, the Circle may meet and vote on whether or not to place a ban on said druid. Likewise, a druidic circle my ban an entire area (such as a city) and any druid that willfully enters the city, while aware of the ban, may lose druidic status.

Other notes
When Druids take their oath, they are expected to respect the traditional structure of druidic society. Briefly, this is structured as such: There is one Grand Druid who leads all druids everywhere in the world. Druidic circles form to oversee a particular area (ie, Sanctuary and environs). These circles choose a 'Great Druid' to be in charge of overseeing druidly interests in their chosen lands. This is usually done by a series of challenges among the Circle, with the winner becoming the Great Druid of the area. The Great Druid does not exercise anything near absolute control over the other druids. They generally are in charge of calling moots to decide on issues, or to issue general edicts and things for local druids to focus on (such as keeping an eye out for over-hunting in the area).

Issues such as band and edicts, are often voted on by the entire Circle, with majority decision being the verdict. The Great Druid can be challenged by another druid at any time. Thus, even if a druid is a loner who refuses to partake of the Circle's meetings, the druidic fellowship is expected to be respected by all who have taken druidic oaths. If a lone druid disagrees with the edicts of a certain Great Druid and the Circle, they may challenge the Great Druid for the right to lead. If they simply break edicts and bans and the like, they may lose druidic status - but they must be aware of the edicts in order to lose status. This does not mean that a druid can simply claim ignorance - once a ban or edict is decided, the decision should be made accessible to all druids, and failure of a lone druid to pay attention to the Circle's decisions is their own fault.

For example, if the Circle decides to put a ban on entering the city, and plainly states it in accessible druidic writings on rocks near the Circle's home, a druid who enters the city a week later, having not bothered to keep track of the Circle's actions, may lose status. On the flip-side, if a decision is made behind closed doors, and kept within the Circle entirely with no effort to proclaim it, a druid who breaks it can not be held accountable. Also, if the edict or ban is in direct violation of basic druidic Oaths, the druids of the area may ignore it until a new Great Druid can be selected. For example, if the Great Druid orders all druids to move to the city and take jobs in the government, this can be ignored with no penalty.

Addition: I apologize if I come off as an elitest; I admit I probably am when it comes to druids. I've got a few years experience playing and being involved in the dynamics of druid roleplay and it was absolutely amazing; but it an only work if everyones playing by the rules. I absolutely would love to be involved in this sort of dynamics again- but, I mean this respectfully, cutesy druids and that druids 'don't' get punished for breaking vows and not upholding balance, is the reason I haven't played one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:46:26 AM by Rhymenoceros »

Kelandros

• Outlander
  • Holder of Evil Cookies
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
If i see a bear/wolf/carnivorous animal walk into the outskirt i will ready weapons, if it is a player i will toggle him/her hostile.
A bat is a smaller creature and out at night where people should be more concerned about getting indoors than to stay outside and admire a players shapeshifted form.
An animal which can be a danger like a wolf or a bear for that example entering a populated area should cause people to chase it away or kill it if it attacks.

In reply to Madmage:

Shapeshift in and out of form in the outskirts and i EXPECT the garda to hunt you for being either a neuri or a witch. Any other thing would be immersion breaking.
Corem Dathgor - Flirting with Evil

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
I guess I just look at things the wrong way....

IF this gets implemented....

IF I were a DM here.....

and IF a player was running around in puppy/kitten mode acting cutsie.....

I'd just stand around and watch them get kicked and butchered, and hand out DP checks.

ok... I jest, but honestly it would actually make me laugh

Sage - When stories come to life

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
Wildshape forms aren't supposed to be cutesy. That's just it.

The forms are given to them to better serve their goals and oaths as a druid. A falcon perched in a branch, watching a potential threat of loggers. Or a skunk that starts spraying to chase off unwanted hunters.

The Cute stuff. It makes me cry. And it disappoints me that people out there actually do it, potentially ruining good RP for other druids who would take the forms a bit more seriously.

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
Tabitha pretty much takes the bear and panther forms and that's it.  the bear to open locked things and to carry heavy loads or dead bodies, and the panther to patrol the forest at night.  I would love to be a bird, maybe that could be implemented one day.  A mouse would be great for spying or for following somebody.  It could have high stealth bonuses for being so small.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
For spying... Chicken. Better than being invisible. Raven would be a nice wildshape too.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »
While I do agree with what Rhyme is saying, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more diversity in the available wildshapes. The deers and some birds would be a nice addition.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
Actually having some bird form, particularly ravven form.