You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wulfgang Krieg - Rise of a Commander  (Read 3089 times)

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
Wulfgang Krieg - Rise of a Commander
« on: March 10, 2012, 03:02:51 AM »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
Re: Wulfgang Krieg - Rise of a Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
[Written in scrawling Falkovnian is the accounts of Wulfgang Krieg begining during his first expedition out under orders of the Kingfuhrer]

I have been posted to Barovia under orders, a few of the privates straight out of training were sent but we ran afoul of cretures of the night and were spread far, we were ordered to meet with command in the city of Vallaki but that was as much of the orders as I heard. The coming battles in the land of Dementaliu are on everyone's mind and I'm sure they will be fierce. My blade grows thirsty and I know that soon I will whet it in the blood of the Kingfuhrers enemies. Some of my peers believe I am too patriotic... Traitors.

[A large amount of scribbles in a differant flowing dialect decorate the space between the next entry]

I have met with my peers, a small squadron of Falkovnian Soldiers, including to my great surprise a Hexenmeister! They have informed me of our mission and granted me rank among them, I hope to prove myself to them and gain special commondation under the Commanders. I have met my enemy, Inari Delacroux a swordswoman of the state of Dementaliu, she's skilled, more skilled then I at this point, perhaps I will have her executed by my men... No... Then I would not have the pleasure of making her watch her city burn...

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
[The following entry is written in a Falkovnian Cypher, in Wulfgangs precises hand writting]

My time in Barovia grows stranger and stranger, I have not heard from command and it makes me nervous, have they abandoned me here? Was I sent here to get me out of the way? I know I hit the Lt.s son, but damn, the fool was fraternizing with a filthy knife-ear. He deserved to have his lip busted. Speaking on violence I was accosted in the temple by three fops, at least one wore armor, comrade barovian and I hacked them down like wheat, my first taste of true battle since basic training.

My skill with the bastard sword grows, many things that could tear me apart fall rapidly to my blade. But I must be better, better and stronger to kill these weak fools who attempt to challenge the might of the Kingfuhrer. I have failed to find a teacher worthy of instructing me in the art of the blade, and I have had to rely on myself, self teaching has been slow coming but I feel as though I am approaching the level that I need to be to truely find my path with the sword.

Herr Wund has been tutoring me in the art of squad combat and in many of our engagements it has proved invaluable knowladge, I hope that soon, we will be able to put these skills to the test. Herr Waldemar will be tutoring me in the art of stealth and manipulation soon I hope, he is a man of quiet demeanour, but I find his loyalty to the crown reassuring. Hexenmiester Appenzaller is a funny man, unsurprising for one of the Ministry but, he too is trustworthy, his brutality against the foes of the Kingfuhrer warms him to my eyes. Herr Wunjikir is a good medic, but... his faith in the religon of witches bothers me, a man should trust himself and his allies, not some invisable being, then there is Herr Kafka, I have yet to have a sucsessful outing with him at my side, I think I will slip a note to the regional commander to keep an eye on him.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:46:20 PM by Cursed Ink »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
[Written in the Falkovnian Cypher is a list of stratagems and tactics that Wulfgang has developed, these seemed to be littered through the book]

1} The first rule of war, cut off the enemies supplie lines. -I believe our first step against the fops should be to poison their rivers and burn/salt their farms. Of course it says without saying the grain should be cut off in trade, the true difficulty however will be destroying the trade lines, we don't want to push the other countries to honor their treaty but we cannot allow food or water to seiged areas. Perhaps hire Invidians to dress as bounty hunters and bandits and fortify the roads in and out. Blockade ships would help immensely, a propaganda drop on Blaustien would be in our favour, inform the pirate lord the fops are ripe for the picking. Starve them out, and let their own scavengers pick at the carcass of their country. [Addendum; Tactical thought, bring in a heavy load of food, have a feast before the gates of the city behind our barricade, let the smell of delicous food waft into their camp.]

2} Propaganda, this is key, instill dissention among the troops and civilians of the fops. convince them to over throw their generals and leaders in favor of common leaders. Propaganda and lies are key here, they have already begun it themselves. They will take away the trained leaders and instill farmers and bakers, after they unleash a sea of blood on their own people. The lack of food will help this, as will the poisoning of the water, the government will obviously have to expend troops to quell the rioting. Confusion can kill an army faster then any weapon. [Addendum; Perhaps launch dead animals and carrion into the ciry via catapults, to begin with this will help spread disease in a cloistered environment.]

3} Third, in my reading I have discovered the importance of prisoners and how one should deal kindly to his captives, when one captures a high ranking member of the Dementaluisian army, yes show him kindness and explain that you only want answers. I will elaborate on this later in my musings. But, Prisoners have one major advantage, a psychological one. Keep your prisoners, valuable, ransomable ones, when the battle is near to be joined, make it all too apparent you wish to exchange your prisoners, then butcher them. Hack them apart viciously, let their ranks fall in morale as they realise that prisoners can not be ransomed or rescued. Morale is more then half the battle. [Addendum; Morale can be broken in a varity of ways, should we defeat the fops outside of their city, collect the dead, remove their heads, and lauch them over the walls, into civilian areas, let the fear spread.]

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »

1} ChateauNoir. This is a fortified town that leads down to Mordent, they call them Chateaus, converted castles the serve as large fortified town houses to the rich. These places should be considered carefully, there is no reason to take a town that does not threaten you, why waste men on a place of strategic insignificance. It's only use is to block the road helping to cut of their trade routes, which we could do with well placed mercenaries any way, it would simply be easier. As a staging area it is far to cut off from the rest of the army to pose a large threat.

2} ChateauFaux This is another fortified town isolated from the major rallying point of Port-a-Lucine. See above.

3} Road to Mordent, This road leads to Mordent the primary road in and out of that country, I am of the opinion cheap mercenaries could be posted here to harass and harry the trade caravans effectively cutting off supply lines, they'd have to be disguised, we don't want Mordent joining the war. With Mordents weapons and influence out of the way the people will begin to starve, driving the populace even more to revolution.

4} Edrigan, This small outlying village is many days ride from the chateaus defenses and supply much of the country's food, wine and beer (*1) this place would be an excellent staging point for a larger assault, though, I believe it could be used more effectively as a tool for morale destruction of our enemies, burn the village, impale the villagers, poison the wells and salt the fields of the first two villages, letting only one man leave. See their forces crumble with fear.

5} The village of Josquin, This small outlying village is famous for its fish, and is a major provider of the country's fish and oils for food (*2) So famous infact there is a chateau near by, probably armed to the teeth, that is alright however, a battle here would not be a huge strategic win in terms of location, but destroying their supply of meat and oil, along with the fame this village possesses it will strike a heavy blow if taken, if we are forced to leave, poison the lakes kill the fish forever so the fops know what it means to face the Hawks.

6} Carlion-de-Luc This is a large chateau set up on the road to Lamordia, see 1}

7} Dock and Pierre du Mort This port is unfortunately a major trade hub which would disrupt our attempts at starving the people out as we have no navy. Perhaps a deal can be struck with the pirate lord of Blaustien to blockade the docks?

8} Lake Calignet This Lake is a large body of water just over the border from the Motherland, this is a prime staging point, flat lands with a body of fresh water, my opinion is that we stage facing the lake, backs to the border. Having your back to water in a battle is akin to suicide.(*3) If we can get our siege engines over the border and to here we can construct a makeshift fort in which the next rally can be staged.

(*1) In many country's the water is horrible and can make you extremely ill, the presence of a marching army triples this risk and makes the presence of clean water rare, most commoners turn to wine and beer for hydration.
(*2) Fish oil is also a decent substitute for sword oil and can be used in all weapon maintenance.
(*3) Having an army have a clear line of retreat is advisable if you want your troops to live, having your troops have no escape is advisable if you want them to fight to the death, if your troops have their back to water, they will try to retreat and get stuck, this is akin to suicide.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:01:57 AM »
[Written in another cypher these pages become harder to decode, a mind greater then Wulfgangs must have invented this]

I reached a new rank today, truly my career has begun. I was made Captian by Herr Shiller of the Talons. He placed command of a squad under me because of my experience on boats, our sloop came under attack by a frigate. The pirate lord Ahmed fought valiantly, heading command to drive the ship close to the heavily armed Frigate , volleys of cannon fire and musket shot hailed on our single masted ship until Ahmed and others were shot down. With blackpowered ballista bolts we blew apart the captain's office. I took command of the ship and ordered it to ram the frigate, it road up busting a small hole in the first level of the three story frigate, where we boarded. True to the reputation the Falkovnian squad overwhelmed the fops, slaughtering them to the last man, even pitching an officer over the side.

For an hour I was the proud owner of a dementaliusian war frigate, we have successfully made the Pirate lords attack all dementalusian boats in the ocean, even merchants.

I was promoted and received a commendation to the Falkfuhrers, but a commendation for what? Advancement? Medal? Or Talon-hood?

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:21 AM »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:45:08 AM by Cursed Ink »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »

"I need your clothes, Your boots, And the Keys to your Vardo"

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 12:17:13 AM »
Defense Map of Falkovnia; Hauptmann Kriegs initiative.

1: Lekar, primary objective for the Four Towers invasion, not a huge concern as Lekar is the most fortified building in the core, Drakovs personal guard and legions of the most highly trained forces in the land are centered here, if they push hard  against this objective, we will be ready.

2:Silbervas, The Jewel of Falkovnia. Taken in a blitz by the Richemulot forces, first question is how? Their soldiers are barely conscripts and their only major forces are the Reiners guards, I suggest as a major point to offer the mercenaries they've undoubtedly hired gold to turn on their masters, and the same to the lesser nobles with promises of more after the war. (If we get our hands on people, slaughter them) Their nobles are greedy, undisciplined. However, I wish to lead a ditingent of troops to Silbervas and liberate the city, through blood and fire, our troops will be able to punch directly through to them and reclaim the pride of our country.

3: Delmunster, this has fallen quiet, the Borcans infamous assassins must have struck and I say we do the same back, hire on some skilled shadowknives and take the hidden blade to their leaders, also, a force of mercenaries or a small group of soldiers sacking villages in their country would force the Borcans to split their attentions. I suggest we stock up on draughts that help defend against disease and poison, which is unfortunately common to our land and retake this position and hold while not as important as Silbervas, it is still unacceptable.

4: Aerie, is another of the heaviest fortifications in the Core, well stocked with soldiers and weaponry it will be able to hold for a long time, the standard castle can be estimated at being able to hold off odds of 10:1 while I estimate Aerie at either 15-20:1, still a competent commander and savage advisers should be posted here in the south of the country to guard the South Towers front.

5:Stangengrad, while a major city concerned with the distractions of minor Darkonese warbands I trust in the cities competent commanders and the Falkfuhrers judgement in commissioning soldiers to bring down through the Nachifleiger Woods to flank the Dementaliusian and Mordentish forces where they rally. We should ratchet down the offensive against Darkon while holding the line as to focus on the immediate threat of the Four Towers, once they are whipped back to their rotting holes we can turn our attentions north.

6:Morfensi, bringing troops down from here to patrol and defend from Borcan sabotage of our wheat fields is an IMMEDIATE concern, we cannot have them cut our food supply, it is a low risk as the rest of the core, including them would begin to starve without the wheat from our feeds. However, just in case we should build up a force of quick moving scout-warriors to keep them off our crops.

7:Rigirov, I apologise for my tone but I do not care what these men have done, we require the troops from the castle Rigirov, we should take small ditengints of soldiers from here to sweep down through the forests and road and harrying the foppish forces, they can also keep guard from a sneak maneuver from Lamordia, if you wish for these men to suffer, they can be put on pike duty *1

_________

Extra Notations.

Central Prison: I have requisitioned Tower prisoners to be brought to the front from the central prison. Any and all, I want them blindfolded by the undermines and what ever gun powder we can spare strapped to them, I will release the prisoners with assurances of freedom as the Tower forces grow near after lighting the powder wick, if they are kept sufficiently oblivious to what they are carrying, they will run straight into their own troops, either destroying them with explosions, or the fops will put them down, killing their country men and crushing their morale. No doubt the Borcans assassins will attempt to discover a way to use the Prison, be on guard.

Mordentish: We can outmaneuver the mordentish tactically, using our Landshnekts to tear through their forces at the front, the harrying and flanking by small groups of reiters will more then likely force back the mordentish line to allow us to focus more heavily on the Dement forces. A display of brutality against the new inexperienced commander will shake his nerves, heads on pikes and people suspended higher then trees.

Rationalising Troops: These are conscripts, untrained and untested, a few small units of powerful foot soldiers backed up by peasant archers will scatter them if we hit hard and fast enough, keep up morale for the troops, let them take what they want from any battle with these men, feed them, water them and keep them disciplined, and we will carve these fools asunder.

Dement Forces: Trench Warfare. I would commission as many digging slaves as possible to be double marched to the site of the coming battle and be made to dig a series of trenches and fox holes. ALOT OF THEM. Work those slaves to death if need be they can be replaced I will not have excuses due to the cost. Trenches and archers, once we are upon the Dementish Fops we will have no issue hacking them down, they cannot stand up to our men face to face but those guns are deadly, I would like to state again I despise the use of pistols and muskets, but a cannon would be appreciated.

Rebellion Leaders in Falkovnia: Spread word that I wish to meet with the leaders of this rebellion, we cannot be a country divided in a time of war, Falkovnia must be strong, they will not be harmed by my wrath. This is simply necessary.

Peasantry: We MUST conscript, force the young, the old, the women, the infirm into conscription and build thousands of small guerrilla units to harry and force the Towers back, push them back and allow the real soldiers to successfully hold the line, also an increase in patrols will stop the spies from moving about as easily.

1: Pike duty is suspending the corpses on the pikes.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
Borcan Proposal 1:

After dossier 12a was issued I've read over the forces of Falkovnia stationed in Invidia, and they are substantial, enough to police and aid in military operations of an entire country. My proposal is as follows.

1:] Remove the forces we have issued to the lord of Invidia and rally them on the border for 24 hours, if the forces entering our own country do not withdraw then move onto stage 2.

2:] Begin a systematic scorched earth march through to Tevkarest. Each mile we march must be burnt to the ground, I cannot be clear enough on this other then each inch of ground must be ash, black with ash. Once the ground is sufficently cleansed of life, it must be salted, nothing will grow there, each soldier will have pouched of salt, which will be used to spread a signicicant layer of salt where we march. This will of course kill any life growing in this country. A message must be sent, if they will use the fruit of their land to kill our people, their land will never bear fruit again.

3:] Should their forces not withdraw nor split their attention, then continue the march, burning and salting, we will hold no ground, make no fortifications, we will keep nothing from this land, it is not a mission of conquest, it is a crusade of slaughter. Should any settlements be encountered on our march to Tevkarest, let the men do as they will, but issue the order, all civillians must be executed in the kings fashion, apart from one, to spread the word.

4:] If the Borcans have still not shaken in their resolve to invade the Motherland, then the next step shall be initiated, the sacking of Tevkarest. As before, this is not a conquest, this is more akin to a raid, we wil , burn, destroy and rob, but we will take no land, should the city prove even slightly difficult to sack then leave it. Begin burning their forests, continue the burning and salting until they have no choice, should need be, retreat to Invidia to resupply, but this is of the utmost, strip their land bare.

----------------------------
Addendums.

1* This is only the begining, a new proposal shall be issued on the responses given about the results of this proposal.

2* Barovia must not be touched, we must keep on neutral ground with them for now, I have no intention of bringing another enemy into the fray.

3* Do what must be done here, Destroy their spirits, I want this country to run with gore, only then shall they break and turn from the homeland.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:52:34 AM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:59:12 AM by Cursed Ink »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:10 AM »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
Deep within enemy lines. Fighting, bleeding, each day they were more like animals covered in blood and death. But he dreamed. He dreamt of the war.
The Kingfuhrer commended him directly, he knew his name, knew his deeds and heroics in the war, he had not yet returned to Falkovnia for his commendations.

He had met Aderre, his deeds had travelled far... that day the slaughter was glorious, and yet... Now he still serves, waits for the call. At least his woman slumbers beside him.