Author Topic: Adding More Exotics At the Beginning  (Read 4368 times)

BalorVale

• Undead Master
Re: Adding More Exotics At the Beginning
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 05:45:28 AM »
There is no need to run out and get a fancy looking sword and to pretend you didnt just do that. Simply enter the world as you are with the basic starting gear. If you have to have that double bladed scimitar then wait until you first 'explore' the city and aquire it then, that might by what, one or two IG days later at the most?
I think there is, If I was a dungeonmaster for table-top in this setting and someone asked me if they could have a weapon for purely characterizational purposes, I would allow it. We aren't talking about giving all the low level "Uber" equipment, a double bladed Scimitar is not much to ask for, especially since its not even remotely powerbuilding since no feats are supportive of it. If they want a few other tools at player disposal its just less work for both players and DM's alike.

It is unfair that such a simple solution is being shot down by people complaining of "uber" building and +3 Fullplate mail, when they didn't even read the first post. He asked for tonfu and weapons that may be atmospheric to some characters, are we going to deny these characters their rights to make these sort of exotic characters? Of course not, but will we limit them on weapon selection? "HELL YEAH" Its very counter productive, I say, let them RP how they want to esspecially if all it costs is a 1d4 damaging Tonfu.

Stating that the current set up is counter productive is a gross exaggeration. There are plenty of exotic looking weapons which are sold cheaply in a shop three areas away from the starting location, no one is denied flavour equipment. Most builders would probably put weapons like Shurikens and Wakizashi's, and Keu sun Ki (or whatever they are called) in a far away location so its a challenge to even acquire them, these are not the sort of weapons that are native to Barovia, and we are fortunate this sort of content is so easy and cheap to acquire, the same goes for the double bladed scimitar, you dont have to make a perilouse journey or walk across half the module to get one.

I dont feel ithere is any point compareing what you would do in a table top game to what happens in PotM. this is a persistant world running 24/7, 365 days a year. The things that DM's and designers here do are not the same as a table top game.
I was using table-top as an example that it isnt game breaking to give someone a double bladed scimitar. The feats don't exist for them because they are buggy and require lots of scripting, I never said the current set-up is counter productive, I said dismissing a perfectly simple solution that creates new character idea's is counter productive. Tell me how a tonfu, sai, or double bladed scimitar is OP, please convince me, because I don't see how they are. We aren't talking about adding EVERY item, only a few of the more exotic ones to create a sense of flavor and diversity.

Many of us wield longswords, but if we are coming from Japan, English style Longswords don't make sense, and Its using Meta-Gaming knowledge to go to a Barovian Shop and pick up the item. Why would Barovia even have Katanas?

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Adding More Exotics At the Beginning
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
I agree with Balor and Honoun.. A few more exotic weapons arent too much to ask  for if they are RP based, and the character actually needs to use them for character progression.

Up.

Still not happening. Doesn't take much work to make it so!