You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Adding More Exotics At the Beginning  (Read 4366 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Adding More Exotics At the Beginning
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:12:47 AM »
You all know at the very beginning on character creation that the shop gives you limited items to choose from.
Well, when I created my character I had to only buy armor, then wait during the day to run to the weapon shop to buy a double bladed scimitar, and pretend he didn't do that.

This is my suggestion.

Put all the non-magical and not powerful exotics at the beginnings. A list I think maybe good to have for beginning characters.

Double bladed scimitar (particularly if someone rolls a valenar elf) Which isn't a good weapon because feats don't apply to it.
Sai
Nunchucks
Some of the weird Asian weapons that aren't a submodel of a normal weapon.

I think this can help someone with a starting weapon that can make them unique when they enter the mists.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
Re: Adding More Exotics At the Beginning
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »
I would agree, any weapon that is normal ie has no magical enchantment or what have you should be included in the starting shop. The more varied the better, as variation is the spice of life ;)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »
+1

I myself had to run for the market too, to get a maul.

Rawbbeh

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
Even some of the simple weapons aren't even listed... I asked a DM for a Heavy Mace since there isn't one in the list.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Accessories as well, the mugs, books, walking stick/Cane, the hold-able wand, and all that jazz. The little things that can add detail to the persons back story and role play when they come through.

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
I agree, having a mug for a drunken master monk, or a walking stick for an old man... All sounds like they would only improve RP

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
but when you enter you are basicly naked and empty handed.

so makes no sense you arrive with all these weird weapons.

they can be bought  the scimitar in the market district and the nunchucks and sai at the odds and ends shop   in the....uhm   lemmie think.....tip of the tongue.....yes been drinking......commoners district   or somthing its linker to the slums.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »

Not quite -- you arrive with what you had with you when the mists took you.  For a lot of characters, other items might be more appropriate than the default stuff in the setup area.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »

they can be bought  the scimitar in the market district and the nunchucks and sai at the odds and ends shop   in the....uhm   lemmie think.....tip of the tongue.....yes been drinking......commoners district   or somthing its linker to the slums.

Picture this....

A ninja secreting his way into enemy grounds, the moon hangs high and as he slowly makes his way to the building where his target lies a fog rolls in. "Perfect", he thinks. "This mist will cover my approach even better than I could normally. Luck is on my side". Ever closer he inches his way towards that silouted shape ahead when suddenly the mists part and what he had thought was the house of his enemy was rather a wagon, one of many in a circle with colourfully clothed people all dancing and singing. "What... Where did all this come from....

Well you know what comes next right ;)

Now... Would this character be berift of weapons or tools at this time? OR would he have the full arsenal that every good ninja carries on a mission of assination when the mists captured him?

Dare I say the latter? Yes I do. Now I'm not saying to grant a newly arrived character with special uber weapons at the start but to include weapons and other items that would for example fit the above character on his arrival into the Domain of dread. Perhaps a pair of Nunchucks would in this case not go too far off the mark. As for characters from other cultural settings fit them with weapons that fit their culture. The point is that it really depends on what the character was doing and where they come from when they were captured by the mists. The more you think about it the more it does make sense.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:12:00 PM by Honoun »

Meriana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
Dare I say the latter? Yes I do. Now I'm not saying to grant a newly arrived character with special uber weapons at the start but to include weapons and other items that would for example fit the above character on his arrival into the Domain of dread. Perhaps a pair of Nunchucks would in this case not go too far off the mark. As for characters from other cultural settings fit them with weapons that fit their culture. The point is that it really depends on what the character was doing and where they come from when they were captured by the mists. The more you think about it the more it does make sense.

I want my character to have a book called 'the history of socks' now.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
Now if the server worked that you had items when taken loads would have +3 full plate armor etc  it doesnt so why have these weapons
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Shadowthrone

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
Now if the server worked that you had items when taken loads would have +3 full plate armor etc  it doesnt so why have these weapons

Because every level 2 character has +3 platemail outside Ravenloft?

kanedellesk

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
Sheltatha is right. And yes, I do feel the need to shower after typing that. Your character, upon entering the Dread Realms is level 2. if you had the exact same pixels and the exact same starting numbers in another server, and on that server the character was level 600, had +100 armor, was declared the God(ess) of Awesomality, etc., thats there. This is here, same character new version. Start unknown, weak and woefully underequipped. Hopefully end up famous to 4 or 5 other characters, still defenseless against the true terrors (clerics, of course :lol), and only inadequately equipped. 

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
There is no need to run out and get a fancy looking sword and to pretend you didnt just do that. Simply enter the world as you are with the basic starting gear. If you have to have that double bladed scimitar then wait until you first 'explore' the city and aquire it then, that might by what, one or two IG days later at the most?

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
There is no need to run out and get a fancy looking sword and to pretend you didnt just do that. Simply enter the world as you are with the basic starting gear. If you have to have that double bladed scimitar then wait until you first 'explore' the city and aquire it then, that might by what, one or two IG days later at the most?
I think there is, If I was a dungeonmaster for table-top in this setting and someone asked me if they could have a weapon for purely characterizational purposes, I would allow it. We aren't talking about giving all the low level "Uber" equipment, a double bladed Scimitar is not much to ask for, especially since its not even remotely powerbuilding since no feats are supportive of it. If they want a few other tools at player disposal its just less work for both players and DM's alike.

It is unfair that such a simple solution is being shot down by people complaining of "uber" building and +3 Fullplate mail, when they didn't even read the first post. He asked for tonfu and weapons that may be atmospheric to some characters, are we going to deny these characters their rights to make these sort of exotic characters? Of course not, but will we limit them on weapon selection? "HELL YEAH" Its very counter productive, I say, let them RP how they want to esspecially if all it costs is a 1d4 damaging Tonfu.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Now if the server worked that you had items when taken loads would have +3 full plate armor etc  it doesnt so why have these weapons

Because every level 2 character has +3 platemail outside Ravenloft?

we could all say we use daddy's old equipment   so yes every lvl 2 COULD have it  if we run it by that story.

but i dont see the need for these weapons   they are basic  there arnt any other versions around, it would send off the wrong signal and ppl would expect for example a  +1 double scimitar or other kinds of it, its best left as it is.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
The posts are not being read and words are being put where none were uttered. I do not think any of us are saying to have uber +X weapon or armour added. Just the generic exotic stuff that are no more powerful than what is already in the starting zone.

For all of you who are saying no character would arrive with +3 Full Plate you're right and we agree. But read what we are saying before making a statement that is out of context. For crying out loud, you can even alter any uber weapon you put in to be as basic as needed if need be, just remove all the special bonuses etc. Or just create a new item using the exotic skin of what ever is being put in the shops inventory, you can make it as basic as you want then. It's not hard just would take a little time and effort. Again I'm reminded how many here never played with the toolset.... And this game is how old now? And nobody here was even been a bit curious to have a little go at it?... Tell you what, send a copy of the shop waypoint my way an I'll do it for you. It's really not that hard.

EDIT: I really wish I could type better :P
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:54:38 PM by Honoun »

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
I think there is, If I was a dungeonmaster for table-top in this setting and someone asked me if they could have a weapon for purely characterizational purposes, I would allow it. We aren't talking about giving all the low level "Uber" equipment, a double bladed Scimitar is not much to ask for, especially since its not even remotely powerbuilding since no feats are supportive of it. If they want a few other tools at player disposal its just less work for both players and DM's alike.

It is unfair that such a simple solution is being shot down by people complaining of "uber" building and +3 Fullplate mail, when they didn't even read the first post. He asked for tonfu and weapons that may be atmospheric to some characters, are we going to deny these characters their rights to make these sort of exotic characters? Of course not, but will we limit them on weapon selection? "HELL YEAH" Its very counter productive, I say, let them RP how they want to esspecially if all it costs is a 1d4 damaging Tonfu.

Stating that the current set up is counter productive is a gross exaggeration. There are plenty of exotic looking weapons which are sold cheaply in a shop three areas away from the starting location, no one is denied flavour equipment. Most builders would probably put weapons like Shurikens and Wakizashi's, and Keu sun Ki (or whatever they are called) in a far away location so its a challenge to even acquire them, these are not the sort of weapons that are native to Barovia, and we are fortunate this sort of content is so easy and cheap to acquire, the same goes for the double bladed scimitar, you dont have to make a perilouse journey or walk across half the module to get one.

I dont feel ithere is any point compareing what you would do in a table top game to what happens in PotM. this is a persistant world running 24/7, 365 days a year. The things that DM's and designers here do are not the same as a table top game.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:58:19 PM by dark_majico »

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Hmm, so let me get this straight. If you create a character that would normally use say a Scimitar cause you know they are a pirate or something then all they need do is walk the two or three maps to get one and ta-da.... They're done.... They get the IC appropriate item without much trouble then, correct? So what's the big deal if those same items are placed in the starting area? Instead of walking three maps to get them they can have them right from the start. I really don't see what the issue is here, whether they move through relativly safe maps to get them or getting them right from the start, the only difference is WHERE they got them NOT that they were obtained at all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:57:49 PM by Honoun »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
thats what im trying to point out honoun its not about +3 armors     majico gets it.

true the ppl do not enter this world with daddy's old equipment,  cause we have a balacing issue  if that happend, adding these weapons to the starter kit as to name it such would indeed not trow off the balance.

it just doesnt fit.

1: you are showing new people some strange weapons and they might expect a diversety of them on the server.
2: along with point 1  they dont have feats  so again you are bull shitting ppl with confusion.
3: its overall a nice idea and it would indeed add a little flavour, but if we add those weapons we should add EVERY  weapon type there  and it would get crazy.

we enter barovia  with not much on us  so why would we suddenly have the weirdest weapons?   

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
It actually makes less sense that a xenophobic society would have in it's local stores weirdo weapons or what have you for sale from other cultures. Makes more sense that the character arrived with them, is what I'm saying. A Samurai would have in his possesion a Katana. Not a short sword or any other sword for that matter. In that light it makes less sense that a Samurai character would have to travel to a Barovian pawn shop to get a Katana, a weapon he would have in his possesion anyway if we are being truthful here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:54:47 PM by Honoun »

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »
First off we are over arguing which is getting us no where.

Second, you have a excellent background creator that covers a variety of different campaigns. Even though most outlander characters are from the Forgotten Realms setting Faerun doesn't mean that everyone is or nor should they be. The issue I saw is the lacking of diversity in equipment that doesn't match the diversity of backgrounds. As is the beginning equipment seems all Forgotten Realms. Yes, the beginning shop will be quite huge if you consider all the mundane items including adding the exotic weapons. However, I don't see how a maul, a glowing wand, a mug, double bladed scimitar, or any of that is going to unbalance the server.  Just don't throw in full plate or half plates or their equivalents.

Third, so what if the player has diversity. So, what if they get their hands some exotic weapon like a double bladed scimitar or a sai. They will have to learn quickly to adjust to the land in order to survive. Imagine someone from modern day LA California gets trap in the mists of Barovia. Sure he may have pistol, but he will run out of ammo and find out it becomes useless. He will have to learn new skills like using a bow in order to survive. Eventually the character will have to adjust, and maybe having some choice in equipment might help prevent some people building characters based on the loot table. Most of the time a player would create a test character to read the rules and the setting  and to look around a little before making there real character.

Fourth, Feats aren't an issue. This server has more feats given to fighters than most. Also, the character actually starts at level 2 with an extra feat. It is alright if the character isn't 100% effective or efficient with what they got. They will have to learn to adjust, and that learning to adjust is part of the RP aspect.

The reason I made my character in the first place because I discovered that two bladed scimitars existed. That would be something that the character would had to begin with. You can read about Valenar, I posted a section under Setting at a glance. It just seemed un-natural to rush the store when it opens just to get something he would have from his homeland. I created several other character first to find out that this weapon existed.

All I am suggesting is to help add things that can help a person create a concept that may not follow a normal Forgotten Realms character. I think it can help with a start of some character concepts that you wouldn't normally find. A person may see the diversity when they look around and create a character from what they saw. People can get creative if they see something that sparks them.

kanedellesk

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 11:57:55 PM »
Um, actually I meant my comment to be in favor of the OP's idea. I think my little rant made it sound like I was against it, though, unfortunately. So let me try it again.Say your character is a fighter, from an Egyptian/desert setting. They are just your average rank and file soldier, but scimitars (or whatever) are more suited to close quarter combat in that region. By that logic, the character in PnP could use their starting wealth to get a scimitar instead of the standard short sword fighters start out with in the PHB. If it is more expensive, then they must skimp on armor or shield or other equipment. It balances out, so why not let starting characters here do what they can in PnP? it wouldn't harm the setting at all that I can see. The other items mentioned would only enhance RP options also, at the cost of starting wealth. Anyone trying to pull the +3 armor deal would get the DM smackdown stick for violating the cheesing rule, same as if they tried to claim their PC was uber-god because they got the same character to level 1 million Super Saiyan Mode on another server. So I don't get why this is such a problem. Is that better?

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »
It'd be awesome if upon choosing your origin at character creation, an NPC shopkeep opened a store based on the place of origin.

Someone choosing to hail from Darksun would have a shop with gear more designed for desert survival, and poorly lacking in metal goods.  They might have an option to purchase items for RP flavor based on their homeworld.  Or at least bearing descriptions more suitable to such.

It would require a lot of mundane items to be made with appropriate descriptions for each place of orgin, and of course a seperate shop of non-specific origin for those playing characters from homegrown worlds or acceptable but unsupported realms.

I can imagine playing a Cleric of Mishakal from Krynn, feeling the waning of power from my goddess and in a freak run in with an ooze having my holy symbol ruined.  Replacing it would be far more difficult as it is doubtful any local groups would be producing them for distribution.  Characters would have cause to hold onto these things from home, and guard them closely from harm.  It becomes much more real as the reminders of your past are slowly lost or traded away to those who desire to replace the things they themselves have lost.

Sage - When stories come to life

Glade

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 04:48:01 AM »
I agree with Balor and Honoun.. A few more exotic weapons arent too much to ask  for if they are RP based, and the character actually needs to use them for character progression.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:51:34 AM by Glade »