Author Topic: Paladins, Fear and Courage  (Read 1860 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Paladins, Fear and Courage
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
I've got a quick question with respect to the 3.0 Ravenloft book.

In that book, it states that Paladins in Ravenloft remain immune to supernatural fear but not to natural fear (pointing out that a character immune to fear in a Horror setting rather defeats the point). However, it does then say that Paladins get for free a Courage Feat that gives them +4 to Fear checks.

I realise that Fear checks usually only arise in the case of DM events, so my question is, is there a common understanding amongst the DM team as to whether or not paladins would get this +4?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
Re: Paladins, Fear and Courage
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
I've got a quick question with respect to the 3.0 Ravenloft book.

In that book, it states that Paladins in Ravenloft remain immune to supernatural fear but not to natural fear (pointing out that a character immune to fear in a Horror setting rather defeats the point). However, it does then say that Paladins get for free a Courage Feat that gives them +4 to Fear checks.

I realise that Fear checks usually only arise in the case of DM events, so my question is, is there a common understanding amongst the DM team as to whether or not paladins would get this +4?

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought that paladins in game have a "inspire courage" feat that applies the +4 against fear checks to people around them?  (then again I don't play pally's so what do I know. >_>)

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
This is true, that paladins can "inspire courage" in others around them and give a +4 to saves vs. fear to any non-hostile creatures within an area whose radius I forget off the top of my head.  I've also yet to see a DM ask for a fear or horror check in a little over a year of playing on PoTM.  Mostly, it seems that players are simply left to RP their characters response to what ever situation. 

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »
With our current rules set and without a mechanical way to apply it fear & madness checks are usually more hassle than they're worth. Not the least because of how they always seem to interrupt roleplay since players aren't familiar with how to handle them.

Speaking from my experience running events on the server that is. I know Mac at least used to try to use the fear checks a lot in the past.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
He still does, i've seen them be very effective.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:23:17 PM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I thought that paladins in game have a "inspire courage" feat that applies the +4 against fear checks to people around them?  (then again I don't play pally's so what do I know. >_>)

This is true. I suppose one could say it falls under the auspice of this particular Feat.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »
Well I use a lot of fear, horror and madness checks as described in the D&D Ravenloft ruleset in my plots. Paladins often get boni to the throws that I request.

Spoiler: show
And I also encourage other DMs to use them. Hmm.. Knas?  ;)

But in general checks are most times just then used when pcs don't rp horror or fear in a given situation. So it's a mechanic to see in how far an event would affect your character.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:01:26 AM by DM Macabre »

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
I play a paladin, and yeah, he's brave fear does not affect him as bad as his other companions. But hes still affected by it, sweating, paranoia, furtive motions. Hes afraid but does it anyway