Author Topic: Throwing Axe Weight Reduction  (Read 1114 times)

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
Throwing Axe Weight Reduction
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
I'm curious if it'd be possible to reduce the weight across the board for throwing axes.  (at least down to 20 lbs a stack or, preferably, 10lbs a stack)

I feel like, in pnp, having throwing axes weigh 1-2 lbs each is fine, because a character only needs to carry a handful of them. You can always choose to use them as a melee weapon when you're down to one, and then scoop them up off the ground and rethrow them.

In nwn, the way they're implemented means that you will want to carry around 100+ throwing axes if you want to use them for an extended period of time, but at 1 lb each that becomes impractical for pretty much anyone other than a RDD or max str caliban.

10 lbs per stack would make them decently heavy, but light enough that most str based characters could rely on them as their ranged weapon of choice.  Plus it'd put them more in line with darts power wise.  They would weigh twice as much, but still be slightly better.  As it is, since they're 10x as heavy as darts it's nearly impossible to justify them. (especially since it's easy to get +mighty bows on the server)

If it's not feasible from the workload side of things, then can I just suggest that all throwing axes made from now on get a 80% weight reduction that doesn't count toward the value of the item?  (or maybe some axes with unlimited quantity to represent returning weapons? Not sure if unlimited ammo works with thrown weapons, or if that would be exploitable on the server)

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
Re: Throwing Axe Weight Reduction
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »
I agree with this, weight should be reduced to balance the fact that you can't retrieve them after throwing.