You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Mining, ingots and commerce.  (Read 3224 times)

Badelaire

Mining, ingots and commerce.
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »
Just a simple idea but perhaps a good one for fledgling smiths and PC's starting out. The ability to redeem whole ingots of metal of varying value for money to an artificer, such as one in Krofburg or Dvergheim much like the delivery and bounties that earns you a small sum of gold and experience.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:55:40 AM by Badelaire »

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
Re: Mining, ingots and commerce.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Or perhaps some instructions so fledgling smiths would learn the correct ammounts to mix to make bronze and steel because there really is no information available unless a generous player tells you.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
Or perhaps some instructions so fledgling smiths would learn the correct ammounts to mix to make bronze and steel because there really is no information available unless a generous player tells you.

Thats true of leatherworking too. I eventually found out by searching on the forums and found an old topic about something else where the ammounts were mentioned in passing.

For that matter Vallaki has a bookstore. It would be nice to actually have some useful "how to" books in the bookstore for budding masons, alchemists, herbalists, ammounts needed, variations of recipes, etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:01:20 AM by respawnaholic »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
@respawnaholic: I think having books on how to do the various crafts would be quite helpful, but I dissagree with it being in vallaki or anywhere else in Barovia. Barovia is known for being a place where reading and writing is rare, the avarage person can not read in barovia and are illiterate. On the other hand places like Hazlan and Dementlieu prize learning and being able to read and write so having the books in those locals would probaly be better.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
@respawnaholic: I think having books on how to do the various crafts would be quite helpful, but I dissagree with it being in vallaki or anywhere else in Barovia. Barovia is known for being a place where reading and writing is rare, the avarage person can not read in barovia and are illiterate. On the other hand places like Hazlan and Dementlieu prize learning and being able to read and write so having the books in those locals would probaly be better.

Not disagreeing about the rarity of literacy in Barovia, but Vallaki DOES have a bookstore so presumably someone in Vallaki can read. As for what places should have access to said books I could rationalise said books being in Vallaki for the reason that most people in Vallaki, like you pointed out, would be illiterate, and tend to be hard working peasant types. The types of books a city like Vallaki would have would tend towards concrete trades and how to books rather than books on history or poetry which would serve less of a concrete function.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
I d say leatherwork and smithing books are fine to be in Vallaki, while herbalism, alchemy, enchanting, gilding and whatnot should not be there.
After all, some people in Vallaki can read (heh even most of the guard PCs can read and write I assume).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:47:02 AM by Springer »
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »

Yet Vallaki does have a rather large and fancy bookstore.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »
Nobles can read, but you'd never get them to smelt ore, let alone enter a smithy ;)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
Nobles can read, but you'd never get them to smelt ore, let alone enter a smithy ;)

However, the poor people in Dementlieu can read, this includes craftsmen, artisans, and so forth. The noblity of course would have a better grasp of the language and writing, and be more literate then the poor but literacy is something most have in dementlieu.

I do not know enough about Hazlan, but I figure that the mulani would be literate and they would be wlling to do enchantment, alchemy and herbalism I imagine.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
Yet, the concept of reading a book to learn a handicraft is historically quite new. It'll probably be more fitting to learn through an NPC if you don't feel like seeking out another PC.

MadMage99

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
Or PC master craftsmen can make use of the paper, quil, and printing press in Demu and write their own guides. We have the tools. use 'em.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
Or PC master craftsmen can make use of the paper, quil, and printing press in Demu and write their own guides. We have the tools. use 'em.

the problem here madmage, is the word limitation. It is quite small, so you would need say lots and lots of pages, that might not be conductive. There does exist writeable books that are a bit longer, that could work for this sort of thing. Or one could ask the DMs.

Yet, the concept of reading a book to learn a handicraft is historically quite new. It'll probably be more fitting to learn through an NPC if you don't feel like seeking out another PC.

That is quite true, though I still think that finding books, including some incomplete ones in dementlieu would make sense for that domain as it is an enlightment age domain. However for Barovians and Barovia you are totally right. I think some NPC that teaches the first few basics would be good. Nothing major but still something to get started at.

Badelaire

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
So yeah, back on my original idea...

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
I like the idea of finding alternative ways for Natives to earn money ICly, without having to go dungeon happy.

As for the books, I think Master PCs should do this, but instead of writing a whole book, what of writing recipies?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
So yeah, back on my original idea...

You are right, sorry.

It should be fairly easy to expand the supply system with this, but have to look at it more. Got it noted :)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
What would be really cool would be a way to facilitate a proper market. A way to encourage the separation of tasks. I've always found it odd that a smith has to also become a miner if he wants to learn his craft, largely because they're the only ones who are motivated to go get the stuff.

Other PCs won't become miners in any kind of reliable way, because the value of ore and ingots is intangible and transient, measured speculatively by Crafting XP gains and the resellability of Crafted items, rather than having a "hard" market value. This is not very realistic: such items as ore and ingots should have a "hard" market value.

I think the idea of having a smith NPC give a PC gold (but perhaps not XP... I think this should be a purely mercantile bonus)  for delivering ore or ingots is a great idea, but why not expand that logic one step further up the supply chain? Why not have the smith NPCs then resell those ingots, with presumably a significant resale cost attached (middlemen have to make a living too!)?

In that sense, it would be a matter of turning all Smith NPCs into merchants that buy and resell ore and ingots, then adjusting the value of ore and ingots carefully to balance the incentives correctly.

Such a NPC-supported market would do two things:

* It would put an actual Gold value on ore and ingots, thus proving to PCs that a potential market is viable, as is a potential mining career..

* If a PC-driven market collapses (due to player attrition or whatever), it provides a back-up and a substitute.

As long as the NPCs make the resold ingots expensive enough, this will not dissuade PCs from networking: it's still in their interests to come together to "cut out the middleman" and get their ingots cheaper.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:15:31 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
Yet, the concept of reading a book to learn a handicraft is historically quite new.

It is indeed.

It'll probably be more fitting to learn through an NPC if you don't feel like seeking out another PC.

And that, unfortunately, could involve trawling through reams of conversation again and again to remind yourself of something from months ago whereas a book with the simple scrolbar on the side of the description would be so much easier. My dwarf, Durak, has actualy considered writing a book on the art of the forge but because the exact mixes for some metals kept changing recently he hasn't bothered. That, and the fact that he doesn't know any native languages.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
Obviously what we need is a stolen journal from a respected smith. 

A "reporter" ended up "finding" the journal "out on the road" and decided that the best way to "locate the owner" was to make duplicates of it and sell them off to the highest bidder.  :twisted:

NightShadow

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
Now, I'm new and have only a faint grasp on the crafting systems, so some of what I say may be wrong, but..

I think it would be nice if we could go to any crafting NPC (such as those in the Warehouse District) with a crafted item, and have them tell us how it was made, for a price, which goes from what it was mined/harvested from, how it was smelted, refined, etc., and just goes through the whole process of making it. The problem being that you have to pay for the service and have the item on hand. This would be possible for just about all basic weapons (steel swords and the such) at these craftsmen. For more advanced weapons, one would either have to go to a master craftsman PC, or find an NPC somewhere on the server who excels at his craft.

Perhaps adding a recipe shop to some craftsmen, which when bought, will negate the -5 penalty to trying new recipes (at least, I think that's what the -5 is for...), and perhaps grant some crafting experience.
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »
Toward the original idea, I'm going to implement more things into the supply system already in place at the cargo masters office (bronze swords, daggers, ingots). It's really the easiest way to get about it, and it makes good sense too.

Paying NPCs for mentoring isn't a bad idea, but it takes a bit more work to set up. Got it noted.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:58:45 AM by Zarathustra217 »

andrew_novak

• Outlander
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »
cool.  very cool.  may i ask that just for rp two of those items be healing potions and arrows.  the guards would get their supplies from the cargo master after all and they would need refills each shift.