Author Topic: Suggestion: Self-Sufficient Crafting  (Read 1544 times)

Geiger

Suggestion: Self-Sufficient Crafting
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:46:40 AM »
 Here's my idea:

:arrow: Make it so we can make some of the base craft components so that characters who don't want to be or shouldn't be involved with the NPCs. Calibans, outlaws. Really, it has application for characters who have taken oaths not to have money and other such goods as well. Essentially - all the bottles, alchemical containers, smiths tools, leather working tools and everything else can be made by one of the other crafts so as to make a player-run economy more viable - and easier for the not-so societal acceptable to participate. It still works on punishing wicked Caliban, it'd still be hard and would make it more tedious.

:D (Pros): Players can do stuff, even when the merchants are dead/broken. (Or if it seems viable, maybe even remove them at some point? ;))
:cry: (Cons): Work for the developers (not sarcasm or anything, I'd understand it'd take a bit of work).

Another suggestion: With all this in mind - could we have it so herbalists could actually make healing kits? Have it be 1 benifical herb, 1 cloth/leather/fabric, 1 metal tool, etc etc etc. So that we can actually make these ourselves? The items don't cost much as is, so if they were made to be based mostly on the players that'd be cool too.

I mean given time and the removal of some of the NPCs (or their infinite inventories) it could actually make your weapons, resources and other such crafts actually.. useful and worth it, despite not being as impressive as the higher end crafts like herbalism, alchemy, and enchantment. It would make it so players had to rely on themselves and other players to do these things. I don't know, I think it could be really cool.

What do you think? I mean it doesn't be as hardcore as I'd like to see it, but it'd be amazing just to have that ability. I was playing a character the other day that didn't believe in society or money so him buying these things was out of the question.

Jay

• Dark Power
Re: Suggestion: Self-Sufficient Crafting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:16:58 AM »
While i like this idea for the sense of immersion, it adds another layer of investment to what is already a massive time sink, ensuring that it's not worth taking up a craft if you can spend at least half your server time crafting instead of role-playing.

Geiger

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:49 AM »
Crafting can be a role-played thing (and should be!). It also really depends on the craft.

However, that is also why I said: It'd nice for a hardcore mode, but if we just had the option of making our own stuff that would be great.  :D

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
While i like this idea for the sense of immersion, it adds another layer of investment to what is already a massive time sink, ensuring that it's not worth taking up a craft if you can spend at least half your server time crafting instead of role-playing.

Half...if your lucky.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

If you want to be a master craftsperson, it *is* your roleplaying time. And that is how it should be.  If you want to master a craft in the real world, you need to spend years upon years practicing at it as a full time job, after having invested years studying and learning under a highly skilled tutor, mentor, or teacher.  Also, it takes time to make the items we make by crafting in the game. An actual suit of full plate armor, for instance, would take 9 months to a year in order to make it, and the suit would only fit the person it was made for. In the game, you click on the anvil with the crafting tool, wait about 6 seconds, and voila, one-size-fits-all full plate which can be used interchangeably for a massive half-orc or a tiny gnome.  An English longbow required that the wood used be set out to cure for a full year before being made into a bow.  Again ... click and wait for 6 seconds, and you have yourself a longbow with the "mighty" quality. 

As for being worth it, if someone doesn't think it's worth the time, that's fine, but that's why some people make a surplus of items, and some people buy that surpus from them.  Some people are willing to spend the time and possess the skill after honing it for years, and other people just want to hand over some gold and go use the item.  Either way, to each their own, but spending the time at crafting or not is not a detraction from role play but is an RP decision, as it ought to be.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »

As someone who has spent a lot of time crafting, I'd have to say that the idea of making your own tools and other materials that you use to make things really should not take a lot of time, because one you make a smithing hammer, for instance, you can carry it around with you if you want and never have to make another.  Also, what takes time in crafting is actually not the time spent at the station making stuff, but the time it takes to walk to the place you are going to gather materials, adventure through the area, then walk back to the crafting station.   

Also, the act of gathering materials to craft with gives people a reason to go into adventuring areas.  It gives you someting to role play about and gives your character a reason to interact with other people who are going to help you extract what ever material it is you are after.  Again, it's not a detraction from role play, but an addition to it.

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
I would like to see more tool making and such. I think it might be nice to be able to more more RP friendly items like candles, lutes, and such.....