Author Topic: Keen... Keen edge ...and peircing weapons  (Read 1911 times)

IrishIron

• Undead Slayer
Keen... Keen edge ...and peircing weapons
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Hi I was wondering if Whetstones and even the perhaps the keen edge spell could be modified to enchant peircing weapons. With a whetstone you can definantly sharpen a dagger and even a rapier. I was sadden to find the whetstone unusable for such weapons. The spell seems stange that it wouldnt help with such weapons as well. As usaully for most mellee weapons the damage type for peircing weapons is purely how you use them. A spear can be used to smack, a rapier has a wicked edge for draw cuts, and a dagger can also cut.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Keen... Keen edge ...and peircing weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:15:05 AM »
Well its because the spell sharpens the edge of the given weapon, and therefore only slashing weapons.

This is the way the spell has always worked, and if you where to use the rapier for any other form of combat, than its intended, your likely to have to suffer a AB, or it would function as an improvised weapon.

Keen Edge has always been a Slashing only power in DnD. Even if some special functions allows you to get Keen on other types of weapons

Badelaire

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »
Keen spells only affect slashing weapons. Keen added as an item property however does increase the critical range of piercing weapons.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »
Would it then be possible to add some OTHER item to the game (such as an alchemical concoction or item similar to the whetstone) that, when poured over/used on a blunt or piercing weapon, gave it the Keen property?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
Whatever for?

Shadowthrone

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
In 3.5 the spell Keen Edge can actually be used on piercing or slashing weapons. There is also a separate property for blunt weapons that gives the same effect.

But then in 3.5 multiple effects that increase a weapon’s threat range (such as the keen edge spell and the Improved Critical feat) don’t stack.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
Whatever for?

for higher chance for critical range with Rapier !, can't believe ye don't understand that or ye just coil and try fishing for obviously answer more power for Rapier (Spear)  Critical user ! I say use Scimitar !!!! no need changes !!!! Who need variety weapons ???!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:29:20 PM by Mayvind »

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »
Backoff mayvind the forum only has room for one troll and thats me
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company