Author Topic: Design Philosophy: NWN vs. PnP  (Read 6137 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: Design Philosophy: NWN vs. PnP
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
- Removed Greater Restoration scroll from Arja's stock.  Same questions.  Hell, I don't even know who Arja is.  Still curious as to why this change was made.
uh.... Greater restoration scrolls do not require any UMD and are even better than heal scrolls.  Which have not been sold anywhere ever as far as I know. It was likely an oversight that those spells were ever available in first place. Do you know how ridiculously easy it is to say fully healed even in the toughest places without a cleric was to those rich enough to own stocks of those scrolls. It was a needed change.

- Made it so that it badly impaired/wounded corpse prevents respawning.  Same questions.  I again have no idea why this change was implemented.
I assume this is to prevent circumnavigating the exorbitant cost of resurrection via the respawn option. Also, IC a badly impaired corpse is...  very damaged, no way it could sustain the life of a character again without much repair.

- Fixed familiar and animal companion raising to depend on associated class level of owner rather than the total HD.  What does this even mean?  How does it differ from the original system put in place?  Why do I have to go out and get my familiar killed in order to find out?
My assumption on this was.. that a 9th level character was getting charged based on his 9 total levels to raise his companion, who was actually the companion of a 6 level Ranger.  For multiclassed options, and was probably fixing an oversight. Companions and familiars progress only as the class that granted them, not total HitDice.

As for Sullen Woods... 
I'm planning to give the dungeons around Vallaki a revisit to make them more fitting for the zone. It seems to me that the main issue actually is that certain places too quickly climb to maximum spawn level.

I think the revision is just slowing down how fast it reaches a very lucrative spawn is all.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »

I'm really sorry, I didn't realise that it was every minor change you felt in need of a reasoning of. For pragmatic reasons, we can't really do that (or we would have a lot less time to fixing and improving things), so when a change seems trivial or just self explanatory, we might not bring up a big announcement about it. You are always welcome to ask if you are worried about what a change may entail though, pr if you don't understand the wording. But it has nothing to do with us not wanting to explain it if asked.

Aside from that, I cannot help to notice the slight irony in the fact that you seem very motivated toward wanting us to be more accepting toward you, but you have no quarrel in calling others simpering sycophants, accusing us of exercising "thinly veiled" attempts of censorship, acting immorally and whatever other degrading opinions you don't seem to hesitate the slightest in typing out. Could it be that this is why you perceive some scepticism toward what your posts?

No one is telling you to play "our way or piss off" because you don't like some changes. We wouldn't use that tone or nor such a careless rejection. Several people in this topic (and other places) have presented that they disagree with some decisions, and we've all managed to get along fine anyway. Because we can be mature and respectful toward each other despite the disagreement and present our arguments in mutual tolerance and peace.

On the other hand, when there are conflicts with others - the so called "dissents" - it's not because of people's opinion, but how they choose to bring it in to the discussion. We fully tolerate and accept that some disagree to our opinion. But do you?

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »
- Revised the treasure setup of the Sullen Woods.  Why was this done?  Because a couple of people complained on here the loot was too good?  Also, why was it done the WAY it was done (i.e. completely removing the 3/4ths of the loot) as opposed to simply lowering the value in the loot tables?  I have no idea.  None.

I believe there was a thread on this before the patch came out.  IIRC the issue wasn't that the loot was too good, I believe, but that the zone was easily exploitable.  Since it's entirely outdoors and there's lots of ways in and out, a person could easily sprint through the zone and grab all the loot from each spot without having to fight, stealth, or even cast invisibility on themselves.  If people don't clear the monsters from a dungeon, then when the loot respawns it stays at the same quality.  This meant that a person could sprint through and get a very sizable reward, and then just wait a while for the loot to respawn and do it again. (which added up really quickly if the place was at a high spawn, like during new character week for example)

So I think the overall drop in quality and amount of loot was basically to make the zone not worth exploiting your way through. (or at least reduce the rewards you get if you do exploit there)

I might be wrong on that, since I didn't pay that close attention to the thread, but I think that was the general idea.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:36:55 PM by LackofCertainty »

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 12:36:50 AM »
As for greater restoration the other problem with spell being so accessible is that IC wise it restores your char completely. All scars are removed, cut off legs and hands are restored, teeth, eyes whatnot...
Basicly your char is like a newborn just of the same age that he was when he used the scroll. Basicly its just like a get out of consequences spell.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »
Can "simpering sycophant" be my forum title? :D
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Gorasin

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
The loot in sullen has not been changed.There is still the same number of looting spots. They are spread throughout both sullen maps with shadows now and are randomized as if people didn't keep dying in the same spots. This makes it harder on ninjas since some of the spots are in the larger groups of mobs. I think this was a welcome change since you cannot just ninja them all easily.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
The loot in sullen has not been changed.There is still the same number of looting spots. They are spread throughout both sullen maps with shadows now and are randomized as if people didn't keep dying in the same spots. This makes it harder on ninjas since some of the spots are in the larger groups of mobs. I think this was a welcome change since you cannot just ninja them all easily.

Actually, it is a bit of both. The loot was too high in spots priorly by mistake (perhaps a typo), so that the amount you'd find on a corpse exceeded what you'd find in the central treasury. But yes, it was also revised so that it not spawns at randomly picked points by the reasoning you stated. :)

Can "simpering sycophant" be my forum title? :D

It can. And I have forgotten to express my appreciation for all the reassurance and support many of the posts in this topic has also expressed, directly or indirectly, sycophantism or not.