Author Topic: Armor sizes.  (Read 4564 times)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Armor sizes.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
Every item has to be customed made by the Devs, before being implemened, that means every type of armour and for every race...
and to some degree even subraces

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
Every item has to be customed made by the Devs, before being implemened, that means every type of armour and for every race...
and to some degree even subraces

As i said, the Dev's have better things to be working on. And i would certainly be irritated if half the item slots available in the server were different sets of armour.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
I was trying to figure out how to explain it from the merchant and crafter angle, and you did a pretty good job Taty. It's a rock and a hard place. People get ridiculously indignant in tells if merchants don't drop everything and come and do business with them (Or if they don't deal with orders in tells, or list stock in tells, etc etc). People get ridiculously upset if they have to wait for something. And then you get people who want everything to be RPed out exactly like it's real life and call us bad RPers for trying to be more efficient. Living in a mine is absolutely horrible and unfun, I cannot tell you how much I did not like doing crafting for the Vardo. It's actually even worse to try and hire other players to craft things because now I have to do all sorts of managing that makes the game like a real job.

What amazes me about this thread is that there is actually overlap between the want it now sort and the realist sort. Sorry, player merchants just aren't wal-mart.

Meriana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
I would certainly find interest in roleplaying out the acquisition of proper items more than what I have encountered so far, though I have not taken the initiative of bothering the merchants overt with obvious questions either... Hmm... My current characters wear clothing, though.

As for the argument regarding time issues - would it not simply be possible for the smith/merchant/customer in question to decide how the acquisition occured and have it happen off-screen? This would easily establish the proceedings as they happened, hopefully just take a few minutes and allow for an easy blend between those who roleplay the crafts "fully", and those who roleplay them out "efficiently".

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
I'm not attacking anyone particular. I seen this done with many other merchants/smiths/sellers.

One time I had a set of armor that I coupled with a Talon cloak I found. Took some time an made it matching. Because the cloak was limited to human, I stated the armor was also made for human. It took a long time to sell that like over a week or two min. I know how hard it  is to sell a heavy piece of suit especially if it is limited to race.

I tried different schemes of setting up sets because I tried to attack this as an artist smith would, so for me it become adding dyes, do modifications. Lots of traveling for the ore. Then measure the person, the travel back for dyes. On and On.

All a merchant has to do is say the armor is size to fit a human, which would probably be most armor out there is Vallaki because Vallaki is mostly human. But they can have a smith resize it up or down. Then the merchant can charge a little extra for the resizing (between 200 to 800 (2d4X100) to be exact according to the PHB page 124 under Full Plate about captured suit).

That is a simple rp fix, instead of saying size to fit.

I know about timezones, because I live on the opposite end of the world to most people on this server.

Noture is right about merchants cant be walmarts. 767 in Barovia. Probably like 1400 to 1500s in Barovia and 1600s in Port Lucine, not 1990s.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
Yeah that would be very hectic, massive amounts of scripts and codes, the vendors needing to sell 5 types of templates per armor type, people wanting the armor for smaller races to weigh less or more for half-orc's and caliban, smith's then wanting the ingot cost per armor to vary based on the race less for smaller more for larger, it just goes on and on and is probably best left to rping instead of game mechanics.
Yes. Too much of a PITA to implement for too little benefit.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002