Author Topic: OCR and RPd Reaction  (Read 6215 times)

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
OCR and RPd Reaction
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
Now I'm curious how OCR works on a scale of reactions, is it:
Zero or Negative: Beloved and/or respected (Local celebrity)
1-5: Liked (Just a person you like)
6-10: Normal (The people you see in the street)
11-15: Disliked (The people you see in the street listening to overloud ipods)
16-20: Hated (The people you see in the street who try to foist their religion on you)
21+ Wanted criminal/monster (Serial murderers, people who play the accordion)

I'm curious how much power someone with a negative OCR has in terms of influencing groups or individuals related to that OCR (Yes, this is a selfish enquiry)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:31:41 AM by Amon-Si »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: OCR and RPd Reaction
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:29:52 AM »
well part of the problem is that currently you are unable to see what someone's OCR is besides your own. so you can't really react to others.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:38:38 AM »
True, I mean... Eliza has a negative OCR across all domains currently, I'm just putting it down to her being a lovely person and hot enough to melt ones eyeballs, but what does that mean when DMs (In the distant future, when interaction with my characters happens more than once in a red moon, by law) possess NPCs to mess with me? ;D

I mean, she has a better reputation than any of the guarda, and probably a lower OCR than any other active native, but what does that really mean? Is she so well loved that people would accept that she's a witch if she came out about it? Hell to the no! My question then is... what good is having such a low OCR?

Geiger

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:45:33 AM »
OCR is more or less an OOC mechanic only. It's only there for NPCs to react for the most part with people who do not belong where they should be. It's to keep people from being 18 foot tall Caliban and no force of personality from loitering outside the the citadel with reasons like: i want 2 bu ur frieend garda-san, kawaaiii~.

The only non-OOC aspect now is reputation, which is something as far as I can only be done by DMs. Thats probably going to be your character being known/rewarded during quests (for better and for worse). It doesn't really give you advantages other than 1.) People know who you are in some regards. (maybe) 2.) Some NPCs may talk to you/new dialogues may open. 3.) An aid for less-than loved beings to maybe not exactly be killed on site, but now be known at least to be left well alone (for better or for worse).

In other words: You do not influence players with this. That is up to players and DMs. It's so NPCs are not ignored.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:04:01 AM »
OCR was designed to show how well your char blends into society across the Core.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »
OCR was designed to show how well your char blends into society across the Core.

So someone with low OCR can fit in pretty much anywhere?

Talek

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »
correct...

and on a related note, if you are getting attacked by guards and notice your ocr is low still, that means you are probably marked by the faction as an enemy.. everyone has a base... if you are a gundarakite... your base is going to be a little higher in barovia..

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
I do kinda wish that an OCR was attached when you use the examine object on someone.   Make it so that it gives you the OCR that's appropriate to your character, maybe make it based on a check like what the npc guards do.   Would probably be the most useful for Native PC's so that they could see "Oh crap, that guy has a 27 OCR and 17 of it is from reputation.  That's must be that wizard everyone was talking about!!!"

KBlackwell

• Undead Slayer
  • Back, after 10 years
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
That does seem more than a bit meta-y to me.  Just like we can no longer see classes and levels, we shouldn't be able to see OCR as well.  Less OOC knowledge = less OOC influence.
Adelaide D'Amore - Deceased.
Sylveen Cassowary - Active

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
I don't think that anyone should have negative OCR in Barovia....because it's for healing, at least that's the only way I know of to decrease it, and I don't like the concept of Barovians liking someone using magic to heal them

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
I don't think that anyone should have negative OCR in Barovia....because it's for healing, at least that's the only way I know of to decrease it, and I don't like the concept of Barovians liking someone using magic to heal them

Uh... What?

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
I'm not actually sure, even now after almost 2 years playing here, what OCR is for aside from gauging NPC reactions. Perhaps DM's look at it before possessing an NPC to give you a realistic reaction? My characters' OCR is in the negatives and she's a caster, amongst other things, so I'm assuming it's amazing personality, and/or bewbs that distract NPC's from realising there is something not quite right about her, so I'm still not sure what a PC's reaction should be, but I guess since OCR is only available to view for DM's and the player, the character description can include any elements that might contribute to OCR for PC's to RP with.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:29:09 AM by High_Priestess_of_Tinsel »

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:26 AM »
I'm not actually sure, even now after almost 2 years playing here, what OCR is for aside from gauging NPC reactions. Perhaps DM's look at it before possessing an NPC to give you a realistic reaction? My characters' OCR is in the negatives and she's a caster, amongst other things, so I'm assuming it's amazing personality, and/or bewbs that distract NPC's from realising there is something not quite right about her, so I'm still not sure what a PC's reaction should be, but I guess since OCR is only available to view for DM's and the player, the character description can include any elements that might contribute to OCR for PC's to RP with.

Becoming a known witch will swiftly sort out that pesky negative ORC for you ;D

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »
It is a mechanic to decide how NPCs react towards you

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
My question is, how should one RP OCR 16 when no one really hunts you but you're still a obvious freak!

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
@Budly, I'd say by acting like a freak that would attract that kind of attention :P Either by making sure you emote why your appearance is giving you such a high OCR (if that's the reason) or by simply acting the way you do if it's been raised by your acts. (being careless around magic or a big trouble maker)

Just think of it as OCR 16 is a character who doesn't really go by unnoticed by the general public (unless he's activly working on staying unseen)

Of course the OCR system is more of an NPC mechanic and we currently do not force anyone to change their rp to suit their OCR. (We'll adjust it accordingly!  :twisted:)

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
this is how the garda handle those pesky Outcast

Spoiler: show
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIlb0w0afMY[/youtube]

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 06:25:16 AM »
@Budly, I'd say by acting like a freak that would attract that kind of attention :P Either by making sure you emote why your appearance is giving you such a high OCR (if that's the reason) or by simply acting the way you do if it's been raised by your acts. (being careless around magic or a big trouble maker)

Just think of it as OCR 16 is a character who doesn't really go by unnoticed by the general public (unless he's activly working on staying unseen)

Of course the OCR system is more of an NPC mechanic and we currently do not force anyone to change their rp to suit their OCR. (We'll adjust it accordingly!  :twisted:)

Its pretty hard to hide a tail for example, funny part is, the stupid cloak hide two big wings but a tail seemingly cannot be hidden. And people will complain lol :)

I also noticed some can walk by Radu with tails and wings and such and he wont react. Just cause the OCR is not high enough. How do one RP that? Should one consider to be banned from the Inn even if the NPC mechanic do not kick in about slapping your face in with that hammer? Radu is pretty hardcore and could probably kill Strahd. I saw him two shot a very large demon once... :lol:

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 09:06:27 AM »
I'd say the idea of the OCR though isn't that you should adjust your RP to fit it, if the system works it should automaticly or with DM help be set to something that reflects your characters rp and traits.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
I'd say the idea of the OCR though isn't that you should adjust your RP to fit it, if the system works it should automaticly or with DM help be set to something that reflects your characters rp and traits.

I just think that Radu would probably hammer in my tieflings face  :lol: but right now said tiefer can go up and hug him or atleast swing the tail infront of him and he just  :x ME RADU ME MAD! GO EAT! instead of "Hammer swings"  ;)

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »
perhaps it would be an idea, to be able to see the OCR of other players?

Talek

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

would be useful for native pc's

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »

would be useful for native pc's
I could see it done through the examine tool, but it would need to be flexible and take into account what makes someone an outcast--things that raise outcast rating in Barovia would not make one an outcast in Dementlieu, and so on.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »
Get the Target's domain
Get the target's OCR for that domain
Check an array for messages to send dependant on OCR
Print

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »
But, if a character has a really high OCR, it's meant to reflect word of mouth among NPC's isn't it?
What if a character is trying really hard to maintain a different reputation in different areas or with different player groups? If players can see other peoples OCR, isn't that going to help metagame a little bit? It could change someone's reaction to a perfectly well played, disguised and acting, high ocr character, that no-one knows what class or level they are, into "OMG ur ocr = ova 9000! U R EBOL MONSTER. KILL!"