Author Topic: PC Diffusion by Terror  (Read 12224 times)

Springer

• Dark Lord
Re: PC Diffusion by Terror
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
You could be quite lonely in those parts of the server though. I started to play lot less with my char when I moved him away from Vallaki cause I rarely meet any people there.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »
You could be quite lonely in those parts of the server though. I started to play lot less with my char when I moved him away from Vallaki cause I rarely meet any people there.

That's because the DM, and A/MPC attention is drawn to the outskirts, and it's the main server part for old/new characters. Which we've now entered a paradox.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 11:26:50 AM »

That's because the DM, and A/MPC attention is drawn to the outskirts, and it's the main server part for old/new characters. Which we've now entered a paradox.

The thing is? On a MMO server there would be -hundreds- of people online at any one time, so there would always be somebody to RP with no matter where you are and people would be fine to spread out more.
But in a population of about 10-60? You're going to want to be where other people are so you're not left alone and bored. Hence people going to the outskirts as a safe bet.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »
Thus our solution to expand has run into a paradox. Maybe we can set RP exp for zones? Barovia having the lowest...

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
Thus our solution to expand has run into a paradox. Maybe we can set RP exp for zones? Barovia having the lowest...

I'd make the area around the village (i.e. east of the Tser Falls) a "high XP" zone.

Plus, there's loads of dungeons around the "lowbie" areas that are really high level only, like most of the things around Mt. Baratak.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
Even loot wise. Good old vamp crypt, purple fog dungeon run alone can bring lot of profit due to bounty items. Also there is a silver mine, the only source of silver ore with its last floor being quite hardcore and deadly even for the highest levels outthere.
Also balinok mountains - Invidian camp and its crypt, mount Ghakis.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »

A good idea, but not really workable as it would mean re-coding -every- location on the entire server with a new variable.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
It might be easier to make a limited number of "bonus XP" zones, like the Mist camp offering a higher rate of RP XP....
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
It might be easier to make a limited number of "bonus XP" zones, like the Mist camp offering a higher rate of RP XP....

To be honest? I worry that the sort of person who would move to a location just to farm it for RP XP is not really the person with the right attitude to Role Play. I understand the desire to reward good RP, but i think there is no real mechanic to represent that other then GM opinion (and even that is fallable).

If it was my choice? I'd have the Vistani offer more "Waiting journeys" like the ones in and out of the mist camps to the more remote locations on the server so that as long as you don't mind going off to make a coffee you can have your character be a lot more mobile and don't feel the need to stick around one place to meet people.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
The thing is? On a MMO server there would be -hundreds- of people online at any one time, so there would always be somebody to RP with no matter where you are and people would be fine to spread out more.
But in a population of about 10-60? You're going to want to be where other people are so you're not left alone and bored. Hence people going to the outskirts as a safe bet.

NWN has always been like this, no it isn't EVE where you have 30,000-55,000 online, on a single server at any given time.  However, MMOs are not known for their rp, and if they have rp it's what I would term very light.  I don't play EVE because no one rp's on it, I play here because the focus is on rp.  I've never seen an MMO where rp came first and foremost.  Nor have I ever heard of a server or other game that gave xp based on a script.  The fact is, getting /any/ xp at all for rp'ing that isn't given by a dm who liked your rp is an invaluable encouragement to rp and staying ic when DMs aren't watching.

Perhaps it's because I don't play MMOs that I don't perceive having 10-60 online as a problem.  I've spent a lot of time places such as the mist camp where I knew people would eventually pass through, and eventually there was rp.  The rp was assured but not in a timely manner perhaps, there is time spent waiting to rp.  Some one with a much more limited amount of time to play isn't going to want to spend it waiting for rp, I can agree, but comparing NWN to an MMO is like comparing apples to oranges, they have very little in common that I see other than being online games.  Hundreds of people online when none of them rp, isn't worth twelve that do imo.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
I want some feedback on this idea .
Now vallaki vistani get a travel vardo to BUT you can only use it to get to other places the only way  to vallaki would be on foot , my only concern is low levels using it and die
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »
Yes, this is a gothic horror server. Is it really necessary that every single square inch of ground that happens to be "outdoors" be a terrorizing place for characters to be?  PC's have been trying to "push back the darkness" for years, and focusing efforts on Vallaki's outskirts. Why not let them have the minor victory that one outdoor area out of the entire server seems to actually be relatively free of monsters, to the point people can breathe a little easier out there?

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »
Doesn't serve the setting atmosphere. But I think we can agree on the outskirts are just a necessary evil...or good if you will. :p The whole place is like an OOC consideration in itself for low levels especially, just some thinning of the horrors to start with.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
I'm not saying that the entire western outskirts needs to turn into a safe zone.  What I'm saying is that I'd prefer if DM's/MPC's/Ne'er-do-wells would at least leave the space between the temple, lady's rest, and vistani camp alone.  I don't understand why the vistani camp is allowed to be a magical safe zone for people to be outdoors in, but the space that consistantly has PC traffic (aka the twenty yards between the lady's rest and the Morninglord templ) is deadly, deadly dangerous.

At the end of the day, I realize that this concern is more of an OOC/game issue, and that it isn't what was originally intended for the Ravenloft setting.  The thing is that sometimes you have to make concessions simply because this -is- a game.  Maybe the area could be redesigned a bit to suit that?  Have some hastily made barricades and make the outskirts look and feel more like a ramshackled Outlander shanty-town and less like a single inn on the outskirts of Vallaki?  Throw a few shelters up, some basic barricades and a bonfire or two.

The night is supposed to be dangerous, yes, but gothic horror isn't about certain doom.  I don't think it should be the equivalent of signing your own death warrant if you stand four feet outside a door at night. (that is what the barovians feel, but they're a fearful people)  I don't like the idea that people are so devoted to the "deadly night" thing that they're willing to sacrifice the ability for people to meet up and rp with eachother.  Sitting alone inside a building with no one else in there is not atmospheric, it's not fun rp.   It is boring.  RP is only fun when you have someone to rp with.  Otherwise it's the equivalent of writing fan fiction. :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:25:54 PM by LackofCertainty »

Blackthorn51

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
I'll toss in some input here I think, in the form of an Interview with an AMPC

Who do I play? I am currently playing an AMPC Werewolf (With a 2 week life spawn)

Why do I play him?  Because I want to help contribute to the Roleplay Story and Fear Element of the server's Old Night.

Where is my AMPC?  Typically in wolf form he roams the area between the North Western Farms and Constantines Fishing Lodge.

How Often is he there?  Almost every in game night that I am online.  A total of about 6 or 7 nights so far, has he "Wolfed out" and roamed looking for victims.

How many Victims has he found? In his current travel path , he's found only 2 other PCs (one of whom is my IRL friends pc).  They were both Mid Level.  We fought a bit, and got some good RP out of it.  Then they ran away to the temple.  Haven't seen another PC out there since.  In total he has killed 0 People.  Maimed 3 (Number 3 was in Outskirts)

Why would he go to the outskirts IC?   I've taken him to the outskirts each night if he has gone from hour 18 to hour 3 without finding a single person.  Wolves gotta eat...   

Why would he go to the outskirts OOC?  Boredom.  The character only has 2 weeks in game, so I want to make the best of them and help spread some fear.  Wolves are territorial however and dont often roam very far from their hunting grounds.  I dont want to waste his 2 weeks in an empty area, when I can spread some fear a few areas over.

Who does my wolf typically see in the outskirts at night?  Each time I have seen High level characters usually between level 10-18.  There's sometimes one or two low level characters who are standing close to one of the higher level ones.

What happens when my wolf arrives  Of the people there, about 10% of the mid-high levels will rp some caution and go indoors when they hear my @voice emotes.  About 20% will stay out of curiosity, but still appear cautious.  The other 70% will draw their weapons and start screaming to "Go away or I'll kill you" or "Go away or be destroyed."  Then I send my wolf out of stealth and offer some descriptive emotes about him drooling, growling, ect.  He'll pick at target and charge it to attack.

What about when he attacks?  He'll strike and land 1 maybe 2 blows on his target.  Then he's beset upon by the higher level pcs present and within the blink of an eye become 'Badly Wounded.'  Naturally, he'll turn to flee.  Most High Level characters will break off the attack and often send a tell asking if I got away okay.  Some high levels will chase as far as Constantines Lodge from the Outskirts hoping for the kill.  Most low levels will wait until the next day and then RP trying to track him and follow him (I respond via stealth mode by leaving marks for them toward where he went).

So he has to run away seconds after he attacks every time?  Yep!  Sure does!  There has only been 1 encounter where he got to put up a good fight, then flee into the night.  That encounter was also the only one that occurred north of the Outskirts.

How many times have you died from this? Only once.  In most cases I escape, although one person did chase me across the world to kill me.  After killing me, I was taken to the Temple where the pcs gathered in a circle to try and decide what to do with me.  While I was on the ground, a random pc entered the temple and revived me.  This caused a seen of chaos as they circled my terrified barovian and shouted curses about him being a lycan.  In a last ditch effort to survive, he jumped out a window and ran off into the woods. (Turned out to be a very fun and rewarding rp).

So how have you avoided death or capture since then? Well, I have him stick more to his territory and avoid the outskirts when at all possible, because he knows that last time he went there it all went to hell and he got beaten up by a very powerful monk.  Of course, this is the option that equates to less roleplay as there are long expanses of time where no one goes away from town.

How do you feel about the lack of encounters on the roads? Its a double edged sword really.  It means that we are doing our job enough to keep low levels indoors, but at the same time that leaves mostly high levels to torment, which I simply can not compete with.  So I'll wait until that one golden moment where a low-mid level party come across my path and try to get as much rp as I can out of it.  Yes that means many hours will pass where I sit around bored, but thats okay.  I dont mind because that one golden moment of rp will make all the hours of waiting around worth it.

Would you play an MPC again and how would you deal with high levels? Absolutely!  Although I think next time I will request a very high level one but with only a week long lifespan.  I'd make him specifically to prowl the places high level people gather at night and try to give them hell.  When I see low levels, I'd give them some scary emotes, maybe a chase but over all let them live/escape without any real harm other than psychological.  High levels on the other hand, would be made to be frightened.

Do you really think that would have an effect?  Yes and no.  Some high levels would hopefully see that there are some creatures of the night even they should be afraid of.  Others will see it as a challenge they must overcome.  Either way works out to be great role play however.  For the people who want horror and fear, they would have it.  For the people that want to try and be the hero, they could team up and track it down, then kill it permanently so they can have their glory.  I think a mpc for this purpose would be a lot of fun for everyone.

How would you make sure you weren't griefing high levels?  Well, with a higher level monster comes his ability to hide better and more health/ac to live longer.  This means more time I can spend emoting and roleplaying before eventually having to flee off into the night.  Currently, when I show up I have to be as quick with my typing as possible because im thinking "Okay, if this guy hits me even twice I will be at badly wounded and have to run away."  With the ability to do this, I can also spend more time allowing them the opportunity to flee into the temple or other nearby building.  This way those who don't want to deal with a fight can get away and those that do can still have theirs.

------------------------------------------------------

Okay so bare in mind, these are more observational than they are anything else.  This is just what I've noticed in my short time so far with an AMPC.  I would like to say though that I have been having a very good time playing Dimitri and I look forward to continuing his story to its conclusion.  Also please don't any of that as complaints, for I really don't have any bad emotions so far as an MPC.  I've been able to at least give a few people the gothic horror element and that alone has made it a rich experience so far. 

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

Who do I play? I am currently playing an AMPC Werewolf (With a 2 week life spawn)

Why do I play him?  Because I want to help contribute to the Roleplay Story and Fear Element of the server's Old Night.

Where is my AMPC?  Typically in wolf form he roams the area between the North Western Farms and Constantines Fishing Lodge.

How Often is he there?  Almost every in game night that I am online.  A total of about 6 or 7 nights so far, has he "Wolfed out" and roamed looking for victims.

How many Victims has he found? In his current travel path , he's found only 2 other PCs (one of whom is my IRL friends pc).  They were both Mid Level.  We fought a bit, and got some good RP out of it.  Then they ran away to the temple.  Haven't seen another PC out there since.  In total he has killed 0 People.  Maimed 3 (Number 3 was in Outskirts)

Why would he go to the outskirts IC?   I've taken him to the outskirts each night if he has gone from hour 18 to hour 3 without finding a single person.  Wolves gotta eat...   

Why would he go to the outskirts OOC?  Boredom.  The character only has 2 weeks in game, so I want to make the best of them and help spread some fear.  Wolves are territorial however and dont often roam very far from their hunting grounds.  I dont want to waste his 2 weeks in an empty area, when I can spread some fear a few areas over.

Who does my wolf typically see in the outskirts at night?  Each time I have seen High level characters usually between level 10-18.  There's sometimes one or two low level characters who are standing close to one of the higher level ones.

What happens when my wolf arrives  Of the people there, about 10% of the mid-high levels will rp some caution and go indoors when they hear my @voice emotes.  About 20% will stay out of curiosity, but still appear cautious.  The other 70% will draw their weapons and start screaming to "Go away or I'll kill you" or "Go away or be destroyed."  Then I send my wolf out of stealth and offer some descriptive emotes about him drooling, growling, ect.  He'll pick at target and charge it to attack.

What about when he attacks?  He'll strike and land 1 maybe 2 blows on his target.  Then he's beset upon by the higher level pcs present and within the blink of an eye become 'Badly Wounded.'  Naturally, he'll turn to flee.  Most High Level characters will break off the attack and often send a tell asking if I got away okay.  Some high levels will chase as far as Constantines Lodge from the Outskirts hoping for the kill.  Most low levels will wait until the next day and then RP trying to track him and follow him (I respond via stealth mode by leaving marks for them toward where he went).

So he has to run away seconds after he attacks every time?  Yep!  Sure does!  There has only been 1 encounter where he got to put up a good fight, then flee into the night.  That encounter was also the only one that occurred north of the Outskirts.

How many times have you died from this? Only once.  In most cases I escape, although one person did chase me across the world to kill me.  After killing me, I was taken to the Temple where the pcs gathered in a circle to try and decide what to do with me.  While I was on the ground, a random pc entered the temple and revived me.  This caused a seen of chaos as they circled my terrified barovian and shouted curses about him being a lycan.  In a last ditch effort to survive, he jumped out a window and ran off into the woods. (Turned out to be a very fun and rewarding rp).

So how have you avoided death or capture since then? Well, I have him stick more to his territory and avoid the outskirts when at all possible, because he knows that last time he went there it all went to hell and he got beaten up by a very powerful monk.  Of course, this is the option that equates to less roleplay as there are long expanses of time where no one goes away from town.

How do you feel about the lack of encounters on the roads? Its a double edged sword really.  It means that we are doing our job enough to keep low levels indoors, but at the same time that leaves mostly high levels to torment, which I simply can not compete with.  So I'll wait until that one golden moment where a low-mid level party come across my path and try to get as much rp as I can out of it.  Yes that means many hours will pass where I sit around bored, but thats okay.  I dont mind because that one golden moment of rp will make all the hours of waiting around worth it.

Would you play an MPC again and how would you deal with high levels? Absolutely!  Although I think next time I will request a very high level one but with only a week long lifespan.  I'd make him specifically to prowl the places high level people gather at night and try to give them hell.  When I see low levels, I'd give them some scary emotes, maybe a chase but over all let them live/escape without any real harm other than psychological.  High levels on the other hand, would be made to be frightened.

Do you really think that would have an effect?  Yes and no.  Some high levels would hopefully see that there are some creatures of the night even they should be afraid of.  Others will see it as a challenge they must overcome.  Either way works out to be great role play however.  For the people who want horror and fear, they would have it.  For the people that want to try and be the hero, they could team up and track it down, then kill it permanently so they can have their glory.  I think a mpc for this purpose would be a lot of fun for everyone.

How would you make sure you weren't griefing high levels?  Well, with a higher level monster comes his ability to hide better and more health/ac to live longer.  This means more time I can spend emoting and roleplaying before eventually having to flee off into the night.  Currently, when I show up I have to be as quick with my typing as possible because im thinking "Okay, if this guy hits me even twice I will be at badly wounded and have to run away."  With the ability to do this, I can also spend more time allowing them the opportunity to flee into the temple or other nearby building.  This way those who don't want to deal with a fight can get away and those that do can still have theirs.

------------------------------------------------------

Okay so bare in mind, these are more observational than they are anything else.  This is just what I've noticed in my short time so far with an AMPC.  I would like to say though that I have been having a very good time playing Dimitri and I look forward to continuing his story to its conclusion.  Also please don't any of that as complaints, for I really don't have any bad emotions so far as an MPC.  I've been able to at least give a few people the gothic horror element and that alone has made it a rich experience so far. 

Nice post, you have a great attitude.

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »

Mine roams the streets and sewers of Vallaki, and it is great fun just scaring people without attacking them, letting them think something bad might happen to them at any moment.   :)

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette GĂƒÂ©rard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
If you don't object to me participating in your idea, Blackthorn, I might answer a few of your questions as well, from my own perspective as an MPC Vampire?

Blackthorn51

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback!  And yes, by all means if you wanna give your own impressions, please feel free to borrow my format!!!

It is my hope that such a format will better help people understand the old night from a monsters eyes.  Reasons why they do what they do and reasons why they are rare.  Also, things they could do to better enrich the experience for both monster and player.  While the outskirts seem to be a more or less safer area, there should still be that element of fear and caution while one is out at night.

Do I think going out at night should be forbidden?  Absolutely not!  I just think it should be done with caution and care.

Going outside should not = instant death.  To me it should = The heightened chance of an encounter with a nasty monster that leaves you with the feeling of fear or horror.  It can often be -more- scarey when a monster lets a person live than just killing them.  Plus it leads to a lot more RP.

Also, as a Werewolf -- I have Subdual ALWAYS activated, that way I dont kill people, but just knock them out for a bit. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:14:39 PM by Blackthorn51 »

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »

Going outside should not = instant death.  To me it should = The heightened chance of an encounter with a nasty monster that leaves you with the feeling of fear or horror. 

Definitely in agreement there.

Also, as a Werewolf -- I have Subdual ALWAYS activated, that way I dont kill people, but just knock them out for a bit. 

You know, if the same person gets knocked out, only to come at you again a second or even third time, I'd say go ahead and turn the subdual off for that one person. I mean, after a while it's  not so scary to get beat up by a monster you know is only going to knock you out.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
Blackthorn, I am very impressed with your attitude, really.  Though I do not know who are, kudos man.

Let me share some "...high level..." perspective.
I have had my share of encounters when I was quite sure I was lower level, and also many where I was the higher level by some good bit.

Firstly: I think everyone on this server should have a (OOC) mindset of "do not kill the MPC". It does not prove anything, and just ends someones good efforts.
I have indeed never killed an MPC, even in times we engaged and it appeared certain my PC would overcome them, I have either run or encouraged the monster to flee IC.  MPCs should not be destroyed except to prevent further loss of life or risk of infection IC. Its a tight rope act, honestly. The rule should be that they do not die, and the exception be that they earned a death.

Secondly: If an MPC blocks the exit paths it is likely to invoke being attacked because it feels the MPC player is wanting pvp without allowing other options. Another is that so many MPC players seem to think a character should be okay being fed upon rather than fight to get away. IC, I have never ever considered being fed upon by an MPC to be no big deal, its a fate almost worse that death with the risks it might pose AND the feeling you are sustaining a cursed beings further existence.

Fighting an MPC tends to require out-of-character reactions to make it go swimmingly for the MPC. If you attack and pwn you are a bad guy, if you go along with their feeding routing through RP, they appreciate it but you feel you let your character's will to not allow it happen down. Good MPCs know how to avoid both, having some other sort of encounter. Experienced players of the MPCs opponent also get better with practice.

I greatly enjoy MPC encounters, and the players that choose that role. I have had great encounters, poor ones. I have collected a bit of experience to draw from, you get better with playing a PC that meets an MPC the more you have it happen. Try to not repeat times you felt you could have made it work better etc. No amount of PVP or DM pwning will make players show more common sense or fear though. That is not going to happen. It takes individuals choosing to act IC, and not caring about being the paragon of killing and boasting.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Blackthorn51

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »
Thanks!  I would like to say though that I truly do think MPCs SHOULD get killed.  Its part of the story and also makes it so that the hero's get their victory.  To me, IC should be maintained as much as possible.  Ideally, its nice when the paladins or heroes put up a great fight, maybe a couple get gravely wounded and eventually the beast flees into the night.  Sometimes this means not giving chase much further than the crossroads sign in the outskirts for example.  Even this can be explained in an IC way as well, such as "Well the wolf just came out and attacked in the night, if I chase it much further it will likely lead me to a larger group of wolves."  Of course this doesn't work in every situation for there are always exceptions.  But it might still give you the 'I chased it off, now I can help the wounded' feeling.  Its important to learn to stay IC while maintaining an OOC respect toward your neighborhood MPC.  If the monster just killed your sister and ate your dog however, the reaction might only make sense if is that the character kill the mpc.  It makes for a great story if done with care and entertaining role play.  I for one am looking forward to the climax of this character, to see how his story ends.  Could happen tomorrow, or could happen at the end of the 2 week period.  Will be fun one way or another. 

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »
Yes, I didn't mean that they should not be killed, but that the OOC mentality should initially be "no kill" unless given such necessary reasons as you stated.
We are in agreement.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »
Thanks!  I would like to say though that I truly do think MPCs SHOULD get killed.  Its part of the story and also makes it so that the hero's get their victory.  To me, IC should be maintained as much as possible.  Ideally, its nice when the paladins or heroes put up a great fight, maybe a couple get gravely wounded and eventually the beast flees into the night.  Sometimes this means not giving chase much further than the crossroads sign in the outskirts for example.  Even this can be explained in an IC way as well, such as "Well the wolf just came out and attacked in the night, if I chase it much further it will likely lead me to a larger group of wolves."  Of course this doesn't work in every situation for there are always exceptions.  But it might still give you the 'I chased it off, now I can help the wounded' feeling.  Its important to learn to stay IC while maintaining an OOC respect toward your neighborhood MPC.  If the monster just killed your sister and ate your dog however, the reaction might only make sense if is that the character kill the mpc.  It makes for a great story if done with care and entertaining role play.  I for one am looking forward to the climax of this character, to see how his story ends.  Could happen tomorrow, or could happen at the end of the 2 week period.  Will be fun one way or another. 

I think they ment not get killed without it furthering a larger and more meaningful story arc. Converesly i'll go OOC in a heartbeat and get someone raised if i thought they got ganked for no good reason other than bragging rights.

Gorasin

• Undead Master
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
I raise those mpcs who didn't get a proper death. Death by player unless it is fulfilling a good story arc means...you live and escaped. All MPC deaths should be a dramatic ending not some cheesy killed by player thing.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.