Author Topic: Adding onto Demenltieu  (Read 1859 times)

Elfric

• Dark Power
Adding onto Demenltieu
« on: December 21, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
What with all the revamping, and adding in new areas. I've been wondering if Dementlieu itself, not Port alone, can get some expansion? Right now it only has to offer the city of Port, it's sewers, pistols, no OCR, and all craft stations in a single area. The lands itself from what i've gathered do have forests, and plains which might be able to support Woodworking and Herbalism. Despite them not being able to export much, and rely heavily on imports... It brings to question, why are there no vendors who sell raw materials in port?

Now i know the quick answer is "Because if we did, then everyone would go there instead of searching for it!". This is true, very, very true. Yet it seems such woudl be almost canon to do so. Giving the "lack" of resources the country has sides fur, wood, trade goods, and tin. Then again why constrict ones self to canon while Barovia' contains majority of the metals in one mountainside. There is a rather large Tin mine in Dementlie, near one of the southern villages. Why not make that, and have it similiar to the mountain near Vallaki? Where all the metal can be found, and mined. Even place a gilding station at the mining camp itself, just so there's a secondary place for Silver gilders.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Adding onto Demenltieu
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
No one on the dev team seems interested in taking that project, its why no one builds. If a dev decides he's inspired enough, or someone wishes to join the team to contribute, I am sure we would be open to such project.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
...Curse you Heretic, tempting me once more. [Grumbles] I'll go work on an entry area.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
Actually, this thread about aboleth has given me an idea...

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
I am happy, and horrified all at the same time. Yay Blue.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:42:57 PM »
Sub-sewer seacave, as in my other post :)

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
Catch is the Brain is canon [and i think server] wise already in the lowest parts of the sewers. Controling the criminals, and such of Port in an effort to reclaim his entitlment as ruler of Dementlieu.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »
A suggestion of using the university, library & the several book shops in Port-a-Lucine to enable something more to while away the hours other than thug bashing ...

Its also a matter of risk vs reward, cleaning out all the bounties in the port will ussually net me twice the amount I would have gleaned from a dungeon in Har'Akir with a friend.    Yet there is no risk of implosion or random death magics going off in my face & its takes 1/10th of the time.

There is a set of scripts on NwNvault that encompasses "usable libraries", Ive seen the result in Thay- Realm of the red wizards PW....someone asks you to find out a little piece of lore for them , off you go to a library, have a little cut scene & either sucseed by reciving a set of notes on your character , or you fail & have to have a good nights sleep before attempting again.

I'll look a little more into this & hopefully post on the suggestions forum.

Well this is the link http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2746 ..but I suppose I should at least attempt the scripting myself as per "The" Heretic's suggestion.

So a few questions, I guess you would prefer to avoid the quest journal & item route & stick to variables on the character ?

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
If I were able to script I would for sure work on it, because it's almost one year I DM a lot in that side of the server and I've noticed myself what is missing when a DM is not there.

I. Some countryside areas, on the model of what has been recently done in Hazlan and on the way to Krezk. More for some herb, wood, and simple animal hunting, than for real adventuring. In this way adding the chance to craft things as part of automatic mini-quest (like those of crafting wheels, barrles, etc in Vallaki). That could be paid, turned in, to the several NPCs in the Bazaar, the, let's say, economic hub of the town. Providing leather for books to the several bookshop is another possibility. Added to this, maybe, as an idea, some generic spawn of thugs/brigands of those of the town, which would be spread in a larger area and thus avoiding people "stealing" it to each others. I'd say 3-4 maps would not be too hard to add.

II. I have used myself sometimes the idea of the "escaped experiment" on the crossroad to University. Mages are common in Dementlieu. Some laboratory idea on the mood of the Scrags liar would fit a lot in Dementlieu.

III. War zone. Something on the idea of Invidians, with Falkovnian mercenaries and skirmishers, if some more of 3-4 maps were added in the country. A sort of dangerous zone where war may break out at any moment.

IV. There are some activities in town which, in time, I've tried to use to give IC jobs. The Theatre of the Cathedral needs a key for the backroom. The Golden Fig and  the Croissant Bleu may have the same system of Igor in the Broken Bell, that is that of the waiter/waitress buying undercost things and then RPing the role (this would need less and less a DM). The Broken Spire and the Bullseye could be helped by an accessible area to possible waitress/waiters too.

V. This is a bit more problematic. I've employed some 5 people as Gendarmes in time, as I've tried to mark a difference between those who are citizens (locals), those of more recent citizenship (many PCs) and all the others, occasional visitors of the town. S ome form of OCR or grade of criminality which could be applied to PCs without needing a DM supervision would help dynamics.

VI. A road by the bay with some villas which could be used to host NPCs or someone who is employed for them.

VII. I'd love, but that is very personal, the other sides of University being opened, such as the History or Religion quarters.

VIII. Some form of "illusion" dungeon, maybe hosted within the halls of an asylum, modelled maybe on the Lich Tower scheme.

[EDIT] IX. A sort of Drain, freaks friendly, to be built in the sewers.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:21:50 AM by DM Tarokka »
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Weaselmonkey

• New to the Mists
  • You can't prove I'm not a bear.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »
I've been talking with a couple of people about the idea of forming a mercenary company, with an actual headquarters and everything. This is the first time I've brought it up in public, but it seems to me that if a warzone were implemented, some sort of tavern/merc recruiting ground/hangout would be in order. Even if the warzone doesn't come about, it would also give PCs like Roderick, my PC behind this idea, a place to socialize without feeling out of place in Port (as huge, ugly, unwashed barbarians are wont to do in centers of culture and enlightenment.)

I'd be happy to help with idea, if you're interested, as I have a decent amount of creation and scripting experience, and I just went form being extremely busy to having all of the free time.
Rodrick Gninneb, smash for hire.
Conrad Von Gottlieb, lighting the darkness.
Bret Redfrun, totally a merchant, honest.
Sir Jacen D'Abney, honor and chivalry. And hilarious snark!

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 02:26:12 AM »
The Bullseye seems fitting for your idea. It's the pub close to the flintlock shop, yet it has not rooms. Room in that area are available in the Broken Spire though.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »
Oh there's plenty of Taverns in Dementlieu to choose from. The Bullseye, which would be suited to Reiters, and Landsknechtes. Meanwhile you've got the Mutilated salior which has one room, but it is a place for true pirates. The aparments in the slums is nicly suited, but that said you can't go out a night without risking cuthroats. The last "Commoner" bar would be the Broek Spire, which is the most tamed of all. I suppose finding Musketeers would b- I just realized i typed this all out, thinking of M&B: Eagle and the Radiant Cross ._.

Weaselmonkey

• New to the Mists
  • You can't prove I'm not a bear.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »
I've been hanging out in the Sailor, which is a bit silly as Roderick hasn't been a pirate in years. But I love the idea of the bullseye, and I was wondering if we could get, say, a board people can post job offers on or some such. That's not actually necessary, as people can just drop notes, but if I can get this idea of the ground, being able to change the pub around a bit would be really neat.
Rodrick Gninneb, smash for hire.
Conrad Von Gottlieb, lighting the darkness.
Bret Redfrun, totally a merchant, honest.
Sir Jacen D'Abney, honor and chivalry. And hilarious snark!