You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Incentivising high level PCs to leave the Vallaki area a bit more...  (Read 8336 times)

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
Re: Incentivising high level PCs to leave the Vallaki area a bit more...
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
What I hate about threads like this is it essentially says those of us who are in Vallaki for RP reasons are bad RPers or doing it wrong. How many factions are based out of Vallaki? Once I hit level 10 am I supposed to drop it all and go to Port?

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
What I hate about threads like this is it essentially says those of us who are in Vallaki for RP reasons are bad RPers or doing it wrong. How many factions are based out of Vallaki? Once I hit level 10 am I supposed to drop it all and go to Port?

:clap:

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
LOL nope you two.  Its not about that at all and anyone can go anywhere on the server for a reason.
But if you want to be the centre of attention if a plot comes around, via MPC or DM, just be aware how you might skew it and go elsewhere. I am sure the DM/MPC would really see the sportsmanship in it. No one of the staff would have ever started this level based locales if not for how many bad experiences were had in the western outskirts with a level 15 behemoth wrecking what could be done. Consideration goes a lot further than trying to make systems that enforce it, unfortunately common sense is not common at all.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »
Yeah, well, its really more about being around & brooding around the outskirts. I think being a high level in Vallaki is possible, if there's a sense of OOC responsibility behind it and if the interactions you promote with low levels, promote RP and good dynamics.

Being the 1st to answer a guard horn 'raaarhhgh' and charging into the mob of Wererats the DM is spawning is not helping us with the setting - this is where high levels need to show some self-restraint sometimes - I've seen players like Kayne and others do this, moving away such events, finding any excuse to leave the actions to low levels.

With merchants, I know its a very selfless job, so if your role as a merchant/promoter, is to hire new players, give them a good incentive to travel, see around, interact with others, to have a healthy economy too, then I consider this positive, but keep it away from the outskirts and keep high end/magic stuff away from obviously new players/characters. We have told the RVT in Vallaki the same - they took their business into the Service Building.

Finding options to conduct the business & support it is another matter though, we know we don't have an array of locations to promote player-mercantile around Vallaki, but I guess it should also be compromised to some extent.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »
So what you're saying is RPing in Vallaki is cool, it's outskirts loitering that is the issue? I'm planning for the future with Ratty, and Vallaki has a lot of underworld that I want to be in contact with. Yes his fingers will be in the Port underworld as well, but there's just more of it in Vallaki. Rebels, Vardo, Romulich, Verzi, and that's just off the top of my head.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »

Finding options to conduct the business & support it is another matter though, we know we don't have an array of locations to promote player-mercantile around Vallaki, but I guess it should also be compromised to some extent.

If you have what people want/need, let them know it, and where you will be on a fairly reliable basis, you can base a merchant /crafter/services operation from pretty much anywhere that would suit the pc from an ic perspective. The Drain, Degawwny, a Vallaki market district stall, the mist camp, Dvergenheim, an inn room or abandoned home and so on.  Not all locations suit or apply to every character but the possibilities are many.  The concept of  impromptu marketing and sales at other events such as tourneys has also been successful for some pcs.

Adding storage to certain areas such as the Drain, Degawwny or Dvergenheim for example would make it even easier for those players with the initiative to try, and could help expand possible locations to base operations/dynamics out of for those players who  have characters that aren't merchants or crafters specifically but are elves, outcasts/caliban or dwarves.

Another possible option might be considering allowing AMPCs to have more levels if they commit to focusing their activities outside the domain of Barovia. If high levels were locked out of Barovia areas for new pc week, it might not be too difficult to block certain level AMPCs from cerain server areas.  A drawback with AMPCs in general is, since they have a limited duration and level and those levels they get really can't compete with a mixed level base of level 15+ characters in large groups.  It might also help those lower level AMPCs in Barovia as well as give ic reasons for characters to experience horror away from the Vallaki/Barovia hub/domain.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:46:42 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »
Adding storage to certain areas such as the Drain, Degawwny or Dvergenheim for example would make it even easier for those players with the initiative to try, and could help expand possible locations to base operations/dynamics out of for those players who  have characters that aren't merchants or crafters specifically but are elves, outcasts/caliban or dwarves.

Another possible option might be considering allowing AMPCs to have more levels if they commit to focusing their activities outside the domain of Barovia. If high levels were locked out of Barovia areas for new pc week, it might not be too difficult to block certain level AMPCs from cerain server areas.  A drawback with AMPCs in general is, since they have a limited duration and level and those levels they get really can't compete with a mixed level base of level 15+ characters in large groups.  It might also help those lower level AMPCs in Barovia as well as give ic reasons for characters to experience horror away from the Vallaki/Barovia hub/domain.

Those are good suggestions. We already allow AMPC's to have higher level than just the starting one, especially for proven AMPC/MPC players, that have already demonstrated being positive in the role. If a concept was to rise, we would be open to the idea.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

I have to go to Port every time I need something in storage. Sure I could hire a player to run it into Vallaki for me, but players Ratty trusts aren't always on. I also save money to go and bank in port for anything over about 3750 fang.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 12:08:35 AM »
Bounties for artefacts in the Village might also be good. As of right now artefact bounties are in already quite popular places like vampires or overseer temple.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 01:05:58 AM »
I think the most troubling points are:

Ninja loot being at sale for lots of golds to people that got their loot ninjaed in the first place.
Then having to pick herbs for money to get the gold back.
Lose the gold by dying and getting looted by someone.
Repeat!

This is the player economy in a nutshell outside of deliveries.
Istavan Donner

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
Ninja looting isn't actually a problem, I don't think.  The treasure respawns extremely quickly compared to creature spawns, and the quality of the treasure doesn't deteriorate as long as the creature spawn is left alone.  The point I was making with the loot tables is that the loot is a lot better in the new player areas than in the higher level areas, and a successive distribution would be beneficial for exploration.

If you are an "adventurer who has escaped the life of a commoner", then likely your "goals and dreams" are to get rich so that you may one day retire.  Either that, or you're a thrill seeker.  What I would deem a suitable adventure for a party in the 9-12 range has much much worse loot than an adventure for a party in the 5 - 8 range, and only slightly worse loot for than an adventure for a party in the 1- 4 range.  For extremely risky encounters suitable for a party of level 13's to 16's, you can expect your reward to be vases worth 10 gold, Warrior's Sashes, Scrolls of less than 3rd level, and stacks of gold under 100 coin.  As far as loot is concerned currently, your ultimate adventure ends at Mount Baratak, and you have very little reason to go anywhere else unless you're just grinding experience points.  

The Dev team seems to be working on this, as I've noticed there's a lot less treasure in the Werewolf caves than there used to be, meaning that the design is for higher level encounters to be worth more from a GP standpoint, and they are slowly balancing out areas aimed at lower levels to be worth less from a GP standpoint, as it should be.  I think when the quality of treasure and craftable resources increases in gradual increments as you move away from Vallaki, we will start seeing more people migrate towards the Mist Camp, and RP like PC Merchants and new Faction Bases will develop naturally out of a player population being present.

Overall, it's not the worst thing in the world for higher level PC's to return to Vallaki, since canonically it is a major trade city right in the middle of the Old Svalich Road.  Heretic's point of high levels hanging out in the Outskirts brooding, and disrupting plots aimed at low levels is a very valid one though, and higher level PC's should realize that everyone needs to have a good time, and some adventures are tailored for certain levels, even non-DM run ones.  Again, I'd like to compliment Mordsch and single him out for being awesome about avoiding lowbie events and areas for any reason other than Roleplay.

P.S. The Sullen Woods loot spawns need to go the way of the Fisher.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:32:39 AM by Ternce »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 05:25:07 AM »
I'm planning to give the dungeons around Vallaki a revisit to make them more fitting for the zone. It seems to me that the main issue actually is that certain places too quickly climb to maximum spawn level.

Not overnight. But if you bring your high level faction friends with you, I'm sure you can make it active. The only two active factions we have that are actually tied to Barovia is the Vallaki Guard and the Gundarakite Rebels. The rest have relevance in most other places.

The reason why we base this on encouragement is very much to not have a sudden OOC overrule of the IC, but allow yourselves to take the initiative. This amount of freedom leaves you with a responsibility though.

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »
Making coal and silver available elsewhere would also help, or at the least lowering the difficulty in getting them so that higher levels can employ lowers to get them. It should also be noted that other than Perfidious the only places to get materials for enchanting are near Vallaki and Perfidious is no walk in the park.

It all boils down to economics, people are where the resources are and the difficulty in getting them demands high levels be involved. It is no simple thing to rebalance everything .

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
There is a coal in the Village of Barovia. you just need to know where to look.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
There is a coal in the Village of Barovia. you just need to know where to look.

If I recall it's random and in small quanitities.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »
correct taty

springer brilliant the bounty item idea.

norture yes you are right these topics do NOT say those high lvls in vallaki are doing it wrong, these topics are more to ask for ideas on what would make them move elsewhere   it's how you look at it.
but yes MOST factions are in vallaki   rebels,guards,vardo,ezrites,morninglordians       now the rebels can be in all barovia, the guards can be in the barovian towns aswell, vardo' s only have two options port and vallaki    ezrites basicly have two options aswell vallaki and the port (due to the size of the churches)  morninglordians can swap between vallaki and the village.

so there can be shifts and there can be branches but we all want to enjoy the game and thus stick together cause most ppl often means most interaction, thus often more story or new members.

so maybe thats the problem?   bah i still cannot think of a solution  long term wise  or a quick fix    :cry:
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
Sounds to me like we need more factions elsewhere other then Barovia. I think this would help. I also believe we need to spread out more area's that have more crafting, Valkari right now has the most of them all. Spread some silver, coal, Herbs, and such in other places and people will go their to get them. I believe that is why you find parties in valkari that go to dungeon's in other domain's and then come back to valkari to craft. I think this would help but i don't know how much.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »
The things is there are many factions opportunities in the Port that no one is taking advantage of. Both the Hala and Ezrite Churches have all the toys a faction needs. The Gerderme is having a tough time getting people. The RVT are the true success story of Port Factions but they are not really a social presence. Les Chat is tiny but we have been able to have some impact.

For whatever reason there just does not seem to be a desire to make the Port Hub 2 by the player base. I do think a little player empowerment might help with that (to date only absolom has been allowed a creative outlet and he's dead), but I can't say for certain.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 10:16:15 AM »
I think it might be cool to actually move certain resources to other domains.  For instance, Blaustein could become famous for its vistan's tears blooms that grow almost all year round, with few other herbs that grow there.  Ravensclaw could be more abundant in Darkon.  Both of these herbs could be decreased in all of the country of Barovia.  Silver could be completely taken out of Barovia and put in places like Har'Akir and Falkovnia, and Vlad Drakov could have the mines in his land under his thumb, requiring a special pass for citizens and those who have attained a certain trustworthy status in his land to have access.  White stags could be moved to Mordent.  With specific resources localized in certain areas, you could see trade develop between different lands, where Darkonese herb gatherers trade, say, 20 vistan's tears for a single lump of silver from a Falkovnian merchant, as miners and gatherers specialize into the niches that their land provides.

The specifics of what goes where isn't the point, and I know there are going to be issues with removing resources from a given area (especially Barovia) too soon or too quickly. But the point is just the idea of making certain countries known for certain resources, so those with that interest will have incentive to go to that specific land.  Given lands could become centers of extremely highly skilled craftspeople, such that people know where to go to find a given skill.  And as for Barovia, its claim to fame could be as a meeting place where all these goods get traded, having been produced elsewhere, as its position on the *trade* route suggests. And what could contribute more to the oppressive feel of Barovia than an actual scarcity of resources of its own?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:18:36 AM by Sharauvyn »

Gorasin

• Undead Master
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
Or People would go to the lands themselves and completely disregard your whole setup since they will just go store what they need in vallaki eliminating the need to trade with others.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
Or People would go to the lands themselves and completely disregard your whole setup since they will just go store what they need in vallaki eliminating the need to trade with others.

Some would. Some wouldn't.  But the point was to give people reason to travel around for given resources.  Some people will continue to float, but some will land and put down roots.  And thinking realistically, different places *do* have different resources compared to other places. 

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
Both Harakir and Blaustien have herbs unique to them. I know for a fact folks go to Har'akir specifically for that herb, don't think they do for the other.

Gorasin

• Undead Master
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
I do I do. The are quite useful depending on the circumstances of their usage. Harakir has two herbs by the way. I count one creatures drop as an herb. I think she would mean Hazlan near the border of Immol would be best for certain blooms. I think according to the Richten notes. Vistan Tears only grow in barovia.
The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
the factions that I know that are based in vallaki are the following:

The garda
the rebels
the ezrites
the wayfinders
the vardo
the morninglord cult.

of those factions, only the vallaki garda and the rebels have to stay in vallaki. The morninglordians have the village which is bigger, the ezrites have lots of places. Though admitably, vallaki afaik is the faction's base at least in barovia. But even being based in vallaki does not mean they can not go to dementlieu on pilgrimages for example. One can be based in vallaki but still travel to other lands. The vardo are already in the port as it is. The wayfinders could go to dementlieu, i mean if they are a bunch of people seeking to do good, then going to the place where you can research on monsters is probaly a good idea.

however the issue with factions is that there are not many in other places at the moment. all the vallaki factions can work in the  village, even the garda and rebels. It would not be common, but I can see the garda maybe having to go there once on a blue moon, though that is more part of an event. and the rebels may strike there in order to help encourge the idea that no place is safe. People just need to go there, there are plenty of dungeons there after all. I think being able to get morninglord potions from the ML church there might help

the Port though does lack factions.  There is the vardo there, who do stuff on occasion.  There is also the society of the erudite, which IMO should do far more, as it is a group dedicated to knowldge and doing events at the university, I could see them doing much there but I do not atm. I am in the gendarme with edmond, however atm the only way is if the DMs allow someone to join the faction, though I honestly think allowing the PC gendarmes who are already in it to look for people to recurit could help add another faction and dynamics to the port.

I think if dementlieu was given a revamp and given resources outside the city for the diffrent crafts then it would help greatly in allowing more people to come the port. Having the resources in order to do the various crafts might not only help dynamics in dementlieu but also help others go to the port more often as it has every crafting station, sans a gilding station but I think it should have that too.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
Speaking as one who plays a Morning Lordian, and another character who really doesn't get along well with a certain lamplighter, the village, even above ground, is more of an adventuring area and less of a home base.