You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Permanent Placeables?  (Read 1915 times)

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Permanent Placeables?
« on: December 08, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
  Okay, so first off I just want to start with the fact that I wasn't really sure whether I should put this here or in the Aesthetics section (since it technically applies to both) so admins feel free to move as needed.  First off, I want to say (once again) that PotM is the most enjoyable server I have played on to date (and I've had NWN for 8 years at least now.)  The custom systems are just so wonderful and add so much to the atmosphere and realism of the environment.  Many have attempted this in various ways and I have to say that in virtually all cases, you've surpassed other such attempts.

The only thing I really wish you had: permanent placeables.  When I used to play on Arelith they had some craftable items you could place that would remain through resets until it was removed by someone or destroyed.  They don't use haks, so I'm sure it would be entirely possible to do that here.  I'm not saying you should have quite as many permanent placeables as Arelith did, since a lot of people seemed to go overboard with them, but things like tents and some deployable crafting stations would be cool.

I'll give you an example as to why I think this would be a fun and worthwhile addition here: I play a wild elf, and there are a fair bit of rangers or other forester type characters that I am sure would like to find some little corner of the PotM world to claim as their home.  So if they could deploy a tent that would stay there through resets, that camp would be there for any others to see when they come through the area, even if the player who "owns" it isn't there.  Then if you're really curious, you could stalk this camp to find out who lives there.  I just feel it would add to the atmoshpere a little.

Regarding the deployable crafting stations: I realize not all of them are feasible, of course, but those that could conceivably be transported somewhere (even if their base weight requires an ox for a single piece.)  This is more than for just the camp idea I have above.  For example, say the elves of Degannwy, which as I understand it are getting more and more RP these days, could buy some of these and transport them to Degannwy for the elves to use. Other player factions could likely use them as well (if they don't already have them all in their bases)  Anywho, those are my two suggestions for the day. Discuss, give feedback, and thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:52:17 PM by Serillian »

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Re: Permanent Placeables?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
They have placeables in game that you can set, but I doubt they should ever become permanent. Tents, Chests, Birdcages, Campfires, obviously.. and.. maybe some other things I'm missing, but those are all available currently.

As far as the "little place of your own", I've tried this before, but there really isn't very many hospitable locations where this can be done by more than just a few people.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:55:49 PM by Rhymenoceros »

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Yes, I understand that... that's why I asked if they could make a few of them persistent through the resets.  You can't use a tent to store anything right? So it wouldn't be exploitable in that sense.  I just always found it neat to wander around the Arelith world (boring as I found the server in general) and come across some encampment that belonged to a player.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
As far as the "little place of your own", I've tried this before, but there really isn't very many hospitable locations where this can be done by more than just a few people.

Theres very little 'expansive' places, sadly, the majority of the server areas that are created all have a purpose. I'd like this idea more if you could actually explore the offroads for example, or venture deeper in forests, for example.

Right now, you'll just see camps one area away from cities, or just off the road.. or some corner of the area in the mountains?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
There are SOME areas away from the roads, though yes I suppose you are a wee bit limited depending on which general area you are in, but if you look carefully there's all kinds of little nooks and crannies here and there that you could set up a small camp in that might not be immediately noticed from a road or commonly-traveled path.  I just figured this was for RP more than convenience anyway.  I mean, imagine you have a camp and you come home to find someone else using your tools... or some MPCs happens to spot your camp one day when you're not there and decides to return to it to find you.  I just figure, even if I RP as living in this part of the forest, unless other players actually SEE me about that area, and watch me RP doing things indicating this may be a semi-permanent home to me, they'd have no idea that someone called that area their home, right?  So to me, from a role-playing perspective, this can only make things more interactive and fun.

Sewerfish

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
Coffins are placeable and persistent.. right?
I like the idea and think it would be neat for cult type PC when creating their holy/unholy places.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
Coffins are placeable and persistent.. right?
I like the idea and think it would be neat for cult type PC when creating their holy/unholy places.

I hadn't even thought of that, but certainly falls under the campsite idea.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
problem with placebles is lag.

now there are ALLOT of players loggon onto potm every week, now if they go around placing perm placables untill someone removes them it will add to the lag in ways none of us dare to dream.

those of us that been around a little longer have been in what i call ooc room crazyniss.
a dm spawns spells ppl do crazy shit then there are placeables they drop     and then a player logs in  lag lag lag lag bam weird stuff.

what i am trying to say that when someone has seen that they understand that even campfires in an area can be hell, take the mountain areas for one   for some its hard to load already let alone if there are placeables in there aswell.

so its a nice idea, but i rather see MORE normal placeables then permenant placeables.

(and no coffins dissapear on a reset the min the player logs in again then the coffin is returned to the spot it was in)
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
Well that's too bad.  Arelith had found a way to do it without significant lag (by which I mean they had sometimes HUNDREDS of these placeables in a single area] but they were using a different system.  So I understand if it's not workable because of a lag issue.  I was thinking you could put a timer on them, so that after X amount of days without player interaction, the item disappears, but I suppose that wouldn't alleviate your concerns either.  Just thought it would be a good way to add more to the environment.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:07:37 AM »
a timer would be nice idea yes, but they wouldnt be permenant now would they? :)

atm things placed down stay untill a reset or crash and we often stay up for 24 hours or longer.

was a good idea nope it IS a good idea i simply think it will not work properly due to lag, but i am not the scripter or in charge of the server so theres always a chance i am wrong.

new ideas are always welcome keep em creative juices flowing.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:42 AM »
a timer would be nice idea yes, but they wouldnt be permenant now would they? :)
new ideas are always welcome keep em creative juices flowing.

Well they would be quasi-permanent, insofar that they would persist through a reset, but say you have a timer of 30 RL days and if the item has not received any player interaction, it disappears.  It was just an afterthought to prevent hundreds of placeables being scattered everywhere, not actually being used by anyone.  Ah well, I understand the lag issue though, I wouldn't want to deal with that myself.  Would be a neat implementation though... perhaps we can get some feedback from scripters or builders on the feasibility of this, and any feedback on alternative ways to do it?