Author Topic: Hazlan feedback  (Read 39001 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Hazlan feedback
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Hello,

first off hazlan is awesome! the music for the most part is really really cool, I thought I heard a generic one but even still it felt like it fit.

now then, I have noticed some bugs.

1.) generic NPCs seem to have no conversation/make no sound

2.) the rashman artisan and the supply master in the nordenwall village-artisans hall seem to be broken, they do not say anything.

if I see any more bugs i will post them.

• Dark Power
Re: Hazlan feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »
Niether does the Supply master, no conversation at all. Domain looks great though, good works guys!! :D :D

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »
another bug found. when speaking to biskop Taico about the area and you ask him to continue, it just exits the conversation.

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  :D [takes a bow]

The lack of convo's is on me, sorry about that, my mistake. I hope it doesnt ruin the feeling to much though.  :)
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
The view from the top of the Fane is incredible! Just wow....impressive all around.

Other than the npcs lacking conversations which was already covered, is the weather system in effect in Hazlan? Also wondered about npcs reacting to OCR, they don't seem to right now.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
I think like all domains besides barovia, the OCR system is turned off.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
This is an amazing domain and its captured almost perfectly. Great work, Corvus.

My only concern is that nonhumans, unless they were made to look like the slaves of human adventurers they were traveling with or put on such an act, wouldn't be a welcome sight in Hazlan, though I'm sure players and DMs alike will work to make sure the domain is made as close to canon as possible.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »

My only concern is that nonhumans, unless they were made to look like the slaves of human adventurers they were traveling with or put on such an act, wouldn't be a welcome sight in Hazlan, though I'm sure players and DMs alike will work to make sure the domain is made as close to canon as possible.

Even more than the port, this is a domain which could use an OCR system similar to Barovia but adjusted for Hazlan.

Hopefully with the Fane in place now it will give those pcs who follow the Lawgiver a place to occasionally congregate and a domain to base some dynamics from which can compliment DM efforts/plots in Hazlan and reinforce the feeling of the domain.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
Something I noticed in my brief runnings around was the vast number of unlocked doors that either lead someplace PC's probably shouldn't have access to normally or that are just a dead door (no transition). The ones I saw so far are:

One of the fancy houses near the Fane, the one closest to the transition over has two or three back doors that are unlocked, but have no transition.

Back doors into the Fane that apparently lead into personal bedrooms of sorts. The front two doors are locked, but the back doors are wide open and all, but one of the rooms in that little corridor/wing are locked. Seems kinna weird to me this back area would be open at all.

On a similar note, many of the transitions that are 'Doors' don't actually have door graphics and instead have floor transitions. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but seemed odd. The one that really got me was the main entrance to the Fane. Not too big a deal, but got to me a bit. Personal issue, maybe. [shrugs]
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »

Even more than the port, this is a domain which could use an OCR system similar to Barovia but adjusted for Hazlan.

Hopefully with the Fane in place now it will give those pcs who follow the Lawgiver a place to occasionally congregate and a domain to base some dynamics from which can compliment DM efforts/plots in Hazlan and reinforce the feeling of the domain.

Why would they use OCR when thier are spell caster out in the open thier??

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
OCR is outcast rating. All domains with some exception are assigned one and what it implies to is different in nearly all cases. Its subjective, and not confined to use of magic, but also included ethnic or racial differences including ways of dress and religious differences.   Some examples, both blanket applied and on individual accounts:

- A person wearing full plate armor is looked down on in Dementlieu where gunpower nearly makes it obsolete
- A non Lawgiver cleric preaching in Nova Vaasa or Hazlan
- Any type of foreigner in isolated lands such as Rokushima Taiyoo
- A member of the church of Hala or otherwise witch-like appearing person in Tepest
- An openly sorcerous person using magic around the populace in places such as Barovia

There is so much more reasons an individual could have OCR, including only their physical appearance that is vastly different from societal norm.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
Really great work! Amazing domain; the cathedral is jaw-dropping.

I think the bugs I found have already been pointed out so I'll just add a small aesthetic nitpick: some punctuation and capitalization errors on certain names and titles, e.g. "Rashemani serf" ought to be "Rashemani Serf" and so on. Just for the perfectionist :)
Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
Greater Dust Devils don't seem to be immune to the fiery sands in which they spawn. Result being, they kill themselves. :|

Minor spelling errors in some of the dialogues currently in place. I believe the Biskop in the Nordenvall is the worst offender.

The Biskop and company that sit in the Fields area don't seem to despawn at night. Seems kinna weird they'd camp out all night.

Also, that same Biskop casts some extremely powerful healing/restorative spells that seem a little.... Out of place for such a religion to be tossing around without a care. The place also doesn't seem to be intended for too high of a level, making them even more out of place imo. I'd suggest using Cure Critical and Restoration instead of the current spells.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
There doesn't seem to be anywhere to just sit and RP. Could some logs or something be added to the outside of the logging house to sit on?

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Logs in a desert?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
Logs in a desert?
Hazlan isn't a desert. You're thinking of Har'Akir.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
Logs in a desert?

Logs outside the logging house ;) In the forest.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
Yes, a desert!

So far, this is the best place I've found in Hazlan to go and RP in. I look forward to when a town or inn is added. In the mean time, can this zone be renamed "Zach's Claim"?

Nymphet

• Undead Slayer
  • ... Shinannigins.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
Already I love Hazlan. Ive explored every non hostile inch I could.
I really hope it grows and expands with more to do :D

Most of what I want to see has been mentioned; An inn of some kind, some fun little RP nooks, OCR implemented (My elf gets greeted so warmly its amusing),. However a few things caught my eye. Bugs and/or just something I found strange, or just small suggestions I think would be fun to add.

Bugs?
Oversight perhaps?
In the Nordenvall Artisians Hall, they have at least one (If not multiple) of every kind of Crafting Station, but no Herbalist Cauldron. The Supply NPC does sell Potion Bottles though. Could one be added, considering the 'saps' and various herbs do grow in the surrounding areas?

Lighting
Walking around, I found it odd I heard crickets in the middle of the day and upon panning the camera level, I was surprised to see a moon and stars. The Night time lighting in some of the areas (Specifically Nordenvall Village) is VERY bright, and could probably be tweaked some.

Door to Nowhere
A building in the North-Western potion of Nordenvall Village area has an unlocked door which leads nowhere. However there is a "Closed due to Construction" sign out-front so this may just be me poking at something not finished yet.

Suggestion things!
Inn of some kind
While it was mentioned already, I'd like to request local foods and drinks be added to whatever Inn/tavern/Travelers Stay House is added. I love that about Port and Barovia, Ports fancy local foods compared to Barovia's harsh root veggies and common fair. I want to know what they eat in Hazlan!

Mapnotes
I love Map Notes! Add more please, some areas are nicely flushed out and others are bare.

Law Notes?
Some tablets/Signs with the local laws of the land could be useful, something detailing crimes and punishment like what sits outside Vallaki's gates. Notes on slavery could be useful too.
Characters: Tyln - Siana - Zyvian

Nymphet

• Undead Slayer
  • ... Shinannigins.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »
One more thing I found. The crafter in the Artisan shop, all of his inventory is not marked as unlimited, giving him only one of everything he has. Makes crafting hard. :P
Characters: Tyln - Siana - Zyvian

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »
I have not had much of a chance to explore hazlan sans a dm quest and it is cool. However, I was curious if the village of forformax which is in hazlan but populated by forforians is in the pipe to be added for the realm?

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
We went on a little trip back deep in the woods. A couple observations.

1) The Owl-bears NEED to drop pelts. Seriously I must have a suit of leather armor made of owl-bear hides.

2) In a similar vein we found some greater ballisks. There is no loot where they are (like literally none) and given their relative danger they should also have some pretty nice hides for the trouble their worth. As it is we got lucky since they zapped us with gaze repeatedly and no one failed a save, and with no real buffs up (in fact their gaze DC might be a bit too low given that these were GREATER ballisks). Couple that with their blade-turning hides and their a decent threat totally not worth the trouble.

3) You can, in certain instances, hop up on a hill and farm treeents relatively risk free with decent arrows. I think this has to do with their relative size and how ponderously they move. if you get close enough to them while on a hill shooting at them they can have trouble finding the ramps to get at you. The only drawback is you will go thru ALOT of arrows. Given that they have alot of HPs and they pack a brutal punch (I think one critted me for 60 points.) and they spawn in decent enough numbers to make farming them worthwhile this could be exploitable relatively easily.

4) All the different types of trees make farming for wood pretty easy. Since there is a pretty extensive wood clearing operation on one of the maps any chance a sawhorse and maybe a carpenters table could be added close to the camp? You would still need to go to town for woodworking supplies.

5) The rasheman rebels are pretty good fighters, and there are alot of them. As far as threat goes Id say their about equal to the Darklings near Barovia Village. Less stealthy but better fighters overall. We collected alot of scalps(ears?) or whatever and I think it yielded us maybe 600 gold. Even coulped with the treasure there that seems a bit low.

6) The little graveyard just north of town is creepy looking enough that I really hope there are some plans to develop it into something with some critters of its own. Also the ruins the archieologists are working in could benefit with a secret door or two with a level or two of their own. (which may exist already and I just havent been clever enough to find them.)

Overall I really like Hazlan. I like the look and feel of it. I'd definately like to see more added to it.

P.S. Thinking about it...since they do have so many rescources devoted to wood clearing and the tree ents would pose a serious hinderance you could possibly add a quest granting a CCW level potion for a certain number of treeent saps. This way players who ARENT herbalists might have a reason to collect them as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:18:30 AM by respawnaholic »

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
We went on a little trip back deep in the woods. A couple observations.

1) The Owl-bears NEED to drop pelts. Seriously I must have a suit of leather armor made of owl-bear hides.

2) In a similar vein we found some greater ballisks. There is no loot where they are (like literally none) and given their relative danger they should also have some pretty nice hides for the trouble their worth. As it is we got lucky since they zapped us with gaze repeatedly and no one failed a save, and with no real buffs up (in fact their gaze DC might be a bit too low given that these were GREATER ballisks). Couple that with their blade-turning hides and their a decent threat totally not worth the trouble.

I agree with this completely! You've a source her for some more interesting additions to the Leatherworking field. Owl-bears (which might just be normal leather), but theres also Gorgons and Basilisks. Would be neat to see some new additions to craftables.

4) All the different types of trees make farming for wood pretty easy. Since there is a pretty extensive wood clearing operation on one of the maps any chance a sawhorse and maybe a carpenters table could be added close to the camp? You would still need to go to town for woodworking supplies.

I mentioned this in another thread some time ago! It'd be nice to not have to carry all that wood around, especially being a 'logging camp' right there. makes sense to at least have the sawhorse and table, even if no 'patterns' are sold.

Another thing of note is the Trees seem to spawn improperly. Most areas have a multitude of locations, and a few trees spawn each 'respawn'.... Hazlan seems to have EVERY tree spawn, but they never repopulate, only spawning on a reset or server crash. I had mentioned this in another thread to, but figured saying again wouldn't hurt (and that would cut down on the 'extensiveness' of wood gathering here, if all of them weren't spawning at once.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
I explored Hazlan today! and a number of suggestions and bug fixes.

bug fixes

:arrow: the upper part of the Nordenvall fane's doors don't have a transition visible, but it does have a transition.
 :arrow: a number of NPCs do not have conversations or voice emotes.

Suggestions

:arrow: More shops! there is one merchant I found, the one right before Nordenvall village, unless you count the craftsmen area
 :arrow: a clothing shop
 :arrow: a wizard place/arcane shop
 :arrow: A tavern and or Shisha bar
 :arrow: an area that could be a slave auction area
 :arrow: a tattooist
 :arrow: a herbalist pot could be useful
 :arrow: Some empty buildings to use for rp!
 :arrow: Haebstzarn and Puppet theateres
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:22:52 PM by herkles »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
There is an arcane shop in Hazlan already, Enevold's store. I do agree that a shisha bar would be fitting.