Author Topic: Another dumb question by yours truly-Crafting and monks  (Read 2188 times)

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
Another dumb question by yours truly-Crafting and monks
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
Hello everyone.  Hope you're all having a good day.

I just wanted to ask about crafting and monks. I've noticed that in smithing and mining, my monk cannot use the smithing hammer or miner's pick, respectively.  Of course, I can use my fists to mine, and it has worked, but it takes a very long time and gives very little back.  Are there any tools that a monk may use, or perhaps I am not using the tools correctly. I get the message that I cannot use the tool since I don't have the feat for it (missing the martial weapons feat).  Most likely I have the wrong tools, and that's causing the havok for me.  I figured I'd ask.  Thank you. 
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Another dumb question by yours truly-Crafting and monks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »
they are Martial weapons, and you need the martial weapon feat to use the tools

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
Unfortunately, there's only the single set of tools. So, if you lack the feat to equip them then you can't gain the benefit of their use, obviously. This doesn't stop you from performing any of the crafts we have with the exception of Smithing, however. Lacking the feat(s) just means gathering the supplies for the craft may take considerably longer.

Also, for mining in particular, the more attacks you can perform in a round that overcome the rocks DR, the faster you get ore. So, I highly suggest people wait until they at least get there second or third attack before attempting the craft as anything more than a passing interest. Either that or grab a mage that can spam haste to expedite the trip, but even under both of those circumstances, mining is still a very long process. I usually go semi-afk and make a sandwich or do a little cleaning while I wait, peeking over every now and again to make sure nothing's trying to eat my mook.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
I feel your pain.  Made a monk for being one of those Katana forging masters.... and can't gather the ore or silver.   :cry:

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
*sigh* figured as much. Thank you all!

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
Really?  With all the free Feats we get on this server, you can't take Martial Weapon feat to complete the RP concept of your monk smith?  Even if you were to never touch another Martial Weapon other than a smith hammer?

I'm not trying to be snide, or mean, or anything of the sort...but it is such a simple solution.  Use one of the free Feats you get to do this.  Yes...you may not be able to be completely optimized at that point...so?

I know I, for one, have wasted more than one Feat choice on more than one toon just to be able to do something interesting...right now I am contemplating when my Wizard will waste one on Exotic Weapon Feat (already has Martial) just so I can look cool holding a pistol.   :lol:  I just wish I could dual-wield rapier and pistol...

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 03:19:58 AM »
Really?  With all the free Feats we get on this server, you can't take Martial Weapon feat to complete the RP concept of your monk smith?  Even if you were to never touch another Martial Weapon other than a smith hammer?

I'm not trying to be snide, or mean, or anything of the sort...but it is such a simple solution.  Use one of the free Feats you get to do this.  Yes...you may not be able to be completely optimized at that point...so?

I know I, for one, have wasted more than one Feat choice on more than one toon just to be able to do something interesting...right now I am contemplating when my Wizard will waste one on Exotic Weapon Feat (already has Martial) just so I can look cool holding a pistol.   :lol:  I just wish I could dual-wield rapier and pistol...

Not wanting to sound snide, either, or mean in any way, but if you want to use a feat like that, more power to you! Sounds like an interesting thing you want to do for your wizard.  I wish you the best of luck, I do!   :D  As a monk, I'd rather horde my feats and use them for other things I find more interesting for my character.  Monks don't exactly have a large assortment of equipment to pick from, so I'd rather use the feat in a more productive way than just for 'flavor.' But that's my personal view.  Have a good one.

-Semi-Retired-

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:36 AM »
Not wanting to sound snide, either, or mean in any way, but if you want to use a feat like that, more power to you! Sounds like an interesting thing you want to do for your wizard.  I wish you the best of luck, I do!   :D  As a monk, I'd rather horde my feats and use them for other things I find more interesting for my character.  Monks don't exactly have a large assortment of equipment to pick from, so I'd rather use the feat in a more productive way than just for 'flavor.' But that's my personal view.  Have a good one.

Well, the extra feats provided here were given for the purpose of flavour and RP too, rather than for power-building purposes... just sayin'.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:45:18 AM »
Yeah, but the precedent that has been set is that it won't be changed for people without proficiencies to be able to smith.
Caterina used to want to smith but was a monk without the feat, therefore couldn't and it has been brought up a couple of times before at least.

Martial weapon skill required for light mining pick and smiting hammer a thread started in April '10 by a player named Enarchen and which lead to a lengthy discussion
Smiting hammer  from October '09 started by Tarokka

DM EO stated this, which is more or less the current precedent

You know, you get free feats for RP.

Weapon proficiencies are included with them. Several garda have taken Exotic as a feat solely to wield whips.

Good point here. :) We give people a lot more feats than on other servers, so picking one to craft seems only normal.

Monks don't exactly have a large assortment of equipment to pick from, so I'd rather use the feat in a more productive way than just for 'flavor.' But that's my personal view.
But that is exactly the stated purpose of the additional feats we get,  so that we have enough for both flavor and for power purposes.

This is what Søren states about why we have the additional feats:
Quote from: Zarathustra217
To allow more focus on shaping a character by story elements rather than pure power considerations, and not make people have to choose between the two, we have revised the amount of feats gained.
which you can read about here   Server Features and Systems
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:15:02 AM by Emomina »
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
Yeah, but the precedent that has been set is that it won't be changed for people without proficiencies to be able to smith.

Then the solution, for me, is simple. I won't do crafting that requires the feat. Simple as that  :D  As pointed out, there are numerous other crafts that don't require feats to do them, and I'll do those instead.  I don't personally see the need to utilize a feat to RP when I've been doing RP all along without using a feat for anything else I do.  Yes, I understand the feats can help add flavor to the roleplaying, which is great.  A fantastic implementation here on the server for that function!  But smithing is not that important to my character design that I *must* take the feat.  With about nine slots left for feats, I've already found the feats to fill those that are of more importance to me than wielding a smithing hammer for an hour every so often.  

Thank you to all. For me it has been decided.  Have a great day and a wonderful hunt on the server!   :D

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:03:24 AM by ThePwush »

-Semi-Retired-

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
learn to fletch ppl always need arrows can be good for the coinpurse.

trade with miners for arrow heads and then sell the arrows to ppl
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

-Semi-Retired-