Author Topic: Identification of monsters  (Read 1009 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Identification of monsters
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:44 AM »
Ever since it was added to the server, that with high enough lore upon examining a monster you'd get something....

....well what exactly apart from the maddened corpse's name changes into juju zombie, and wolves at night can be identified as were-wolves.

But such things either turn out very quickly or the monsters don't live long enough for this to be a factor. Do I miss something? Would i get combat bonus or something for successfully identifying a monster?

Please shed some light on this topic, as it's not something what can be found in game, and pretty confused.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Springer

• Dark Lord
Re: Identification of monsters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
Was wondering about it myself. Its just the same monsters with different names so you get used to different names fast and know who is who anyway. If the purpose was to add confusion then perhaps unidentified zombies could named the same without identification. (walking corpse for example). As of now it seems to be the same but with different names.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Psyche

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »
I believe the idea was to limit unintentional meta - so you couldn't know that skeleton charing towards you was crumbling, warrior, champion or lord, for example.

I don't think it's been rolled out extensively though.

Also, I made a suggestion that it could provide information on strengths/weaknesses of the monster.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
If that was the original reason then it does not work as intended sadly. Most monsters still show the power level (lord, champ, greater whatever) And we all know that maddened corpses are juju zombies. no need for identification for that  :lol:

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:55 PM »
essentially, the idea may have been somewhat good - but the system to obfuscate the true nature and to make it revealable with examination does not work for me.
- the obfuscated name is as unique as the real name, so it works only once (depending on the players memory)
- the shape is still unique most of the time - so if one identifies the monster by its looks, it hardly plays a role at all (which makes sense)
- different handling of the names just makes me think if it has been thought through or if it is just bugged
  -> for example werewolfs in wolf form that identify as werewolf without examination (for any kind of werewolf with respective names)

Now what value does the system add? No matter the name, a monster is still identifiable (maybe not with the real name, but it is) - and one still needs to figure out how to harm it sometimes. Yes, granted - the real name enables cheating by grabbing the monster manual

Besides, using the examine-Tool is so uncomfortable that i rarely use it (yes, i could use a quickslot... maybe i should) - and if i do, it blocks any action while i do so. And in a dangerous area, that is definitely no good idea, so even less reason to use it.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang