Author Topic: Alternate Effects for Spells?  (Read 619 times)

Sidhel

• Professional Packrat
  • Dark Power
Alternate Effects for Spells?
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:00:15 AM »
A few spells that likely could use some boosts to better match the PHB, as well as some balancing issues for others.

Ray of Enfeeblement - Change the duration to min/level, Its currently at 1/round level, which is pretty much useless.

Blindness / deafness - Change the duration to min/level, or Permanent as phb, Its currently at 1/round level as well.

Feeblemind - At least min/level, if not permanent, It currently very low duration and isn't much use at all unless your using it on low-save wizards.

Polymorph - Probably too hard to implement, but shamelessly giving it another mention for more/better themed forms.

Summon Creature - Another shameless mention, seeking more Ravenloft themed / varied results.

Bestow Curse - Heres one I've actually been putting alot of thought into.. I think there is a huge potential for this spell to make it alot more interesting.. Heres just a few ideas I put together. I'm anxious to see what others think of this sort of thing.

Spoiler: show

Curse of Retort
Silence - Permanent

Curse of Slumber
Sleep - Permanent or Hour / 3 Levels

Curse of the Mind
-4 Wis/Int - Permanent

Curse of the Body
-4 Str/Dex - Permanent

Curse of Rot
-4 Con/Cha - Permanent

Curse (default)
-2 All Stats - Permanent

Isadora von Brussel - Deathsinger of Orcus (Deceased, Again)

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Alternate Effects for Spells?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
Ray of Enfeeblement should probably not be changed; In Neverwinter Nights, combat situations are much quicker over than in PnP and generally succeeding once with the Ray is enough to make the opponent encumberenced in PvP and quite possibly win you the fight.

Blindness/deafness on the other hand has the problem that it takes a lot AC off rogues and dex-based characters; If succeeding, it'd also take around 11 AC off my paladin for example. :P

I agree with Polymorph, Summon Creature and most particularly, with Bestow Curse, which frankly is fully useless spell. The rare times it succeeds, it's effects are almost unnoticeable and it's quite quickly gotten rid of. On the other hand, problem with the spell is, that casting it would be a DP check.

Sidhel

• Professional Packrat
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
Ray of Enfeeblement should probably not be changed; In Neverwinter Nights, combat situations are much quicker over than in PnP and generally succeeding once with the Ray is enough to make the opponent encumberenced in PvP and quite possibly win you the fight.

Blindness/deafness on the other hand has the problem that it takes a lot AC off rogues and dex-based characters; If succeeding, it'd also take around 11 AC off my paladin for example. :P

I agree with Polymorph, Summon Creature and most particularly, with Bestow Curse, which frankly is fully useless spell. The rare times it succeeds, it's effects are almost unnoticeable and it's quite quickly gotten rid of. On the other hand, problem with the spell is, that casting it would be a DP check.

..The only differences really in PVP in NWN/srd is the fact decisions in NWN must be made in real time, which is why it appears much faster. I'm looking at the spells from a lower-level stance as well, It doesn't make any sense at all for someone to pick ray of enfeeblement, like a sorcerer, because the effects last literally twenty seconds when they could pick something that has a longer lasting affect or damage. The duration is what makes the entire point of taking a spell like this. Its a utility weapon rather than lethal damage.   Maybe they could at least get the Turn + Round / Level duration.

Edit: Theres also already a number of spells that 'should' have dp checks, but don't have anything automated. If thats whats stopping from making this spell less useless, why did we ever boost Create undead >_>

Edit 2: Also, Bestow Curse isn't all that bad of a spell- Its very good for setting up other spells and I've used it successfully quite often.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:09:54 PM by Rhymenoceros »
Isadora von Brussel - Deathsinger of Orcus (Deceased, Again)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
My mage usually has one Ray of Enfeeblement memorized. Lowering the strength on a big foe is always beneficial for a party, and when it comes to PvP, Ray of Enfeeblement (if it hits) will encumber a PC probably 95% of the time, since most folks are probably near their max carrying capacity. Makes it harder for them to flee, or gives you a bit of a head start if you are the one that needs to leave in a hurry.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman