Author Topic: Locking the Vallaki City Gates at night?  (Read 12489 times)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Locking the Vallaki City Gates at night?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
You are illegally entering into a locked up town. I think sneaking in via the sewers is very 'authentic' and fitting.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
It's fully IC if people opt to use the sewers en masse when the gate is locked, but, why on Earth would people constantly go to Vallaki at night? Bounty office is closed and so are all other shops except Murnu's and the crafting stations, which have plenty of alternatives outside of Vallaki and near by.

[Points to the Ezrite Church and Rectory]
[Also points to the Morninglord Church in the Slums]
These are two Role-Play hubs i use quite regulallly, and would dislike to see them fall out of favour simply because it's not worth leaving the outskirts because you get stuck inside the city (especially if your level 5-7 or below)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
historically Town gates where locked up, to keep people in and people out. It is also why inns that were sitituated outside of the town, were the towns for the poor, the travellers and the like. Pilgrimas often stayed at these types of inns to get a head start on their pilgrimage.

Also this would help with immersion, as one of Barovia's Big themes is isolation. It is an isolated country, a xenophobic place, which lock their homes and are even said not to go out at night to save their children.

However, this would also hurt places such as the following. Each of these places are in vallaki, which I would like to see more people using. *nods*
  • Tigen's rest
  • Broken Bell Inn
  • Blue water inn
  • the morninglordian church in the slums
  • The fishing place in the docks
  • The ezrite church and rectory

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »
However, this would also hurt places such as the following. Each of these places are in vallaki, which I would like to see more people using. *nods*
  • Tigen's rest
  • Broken Bell Inn
  • Blue water inn

On the other hand, anyone stranded in Vallaki may be more likely to actually visit some of these places, and for the entirety of the in-game night.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 09:11:19 PM »
its easy to miss the curfew...curview....somthing like that then they end up outside the gates.

it would hurt those places.

also dm exordium is it *looks down below the posters* yes exordium  why ppl go trough vallaki at night?

cause it blocks the way and is the shortest route to the village and many dungeons between that?
so yes lazyniss is a factor in this i will be the first one to admid it.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
Ah, the curfew, or rather 'closing time' of Vallaki. Simple. Use something similar to their existing horn blows, but tailor it to signal a warning that the town is closing up for the day. Something in the vein of Taps.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »
Its easy for people to get around the city, there are two different ways in fact. I am all for locking up the city, I find it would bring a lot more authenticity as well since Barovians often lock themselves inside from the horrors of the night. Why wouldnt they lock their city up as well?

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
That always bugged me. Why would a people so afraid of the dark NOT lock their town's gates at dusk? It's like refusing to lock your front door and hoping the monsters aren't smart enought to be able to turn the door knob...

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 12:28:42 AM »
historically Town gates where locked up, to keep people in and people out. It is also why inns that were sitituated outside of the town, were the towns for the poor, the travellers and the like. Pilgrimas often stayed at these types of inns to get a head start on their pilgrimage.

Also this would help with immersion, as one of Barovia's Big themes is isolation. It is an isolated country, a xenophobic place, which lock their homes and are even said not to go out at night to save their children.

• Tigen's rest
  • Broken Bell Inn
  • Blue water inn

Those are good places, I agree, yes. But....
Thats just going to split the roleplay hubs more and more, and speaking from experience, it will have a negative effect on people gathering and socializing more in random, as opposed to planning PM meetings. Which, as nice as they are, can stunt RP as you'll never meet new players.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »
In the balance of convenience vs. authenticity, there is no perfect answer; there are preferences and tastes. I raised the subject because PotM is a server and game that already sacrifices a lot of convenience (e.g. OOC arrangements and positive metagaming are heavily discouraged or against the rules) so it seemed odd to me that this particular aspect had not been covered/raised before. If nothing else, it's good to have this discussion!
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
We've tried to implement closing and locking the gates at night now. If it turns out to be a disaster, we'll naturally revoke this change, but let's feel it out.

Thanks for the input, all, and the OP for the suggestion.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »
And now helicopters!
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
We've tried to implement closing and locking the gates at night now. If it turns out to be a disaster, we'll naturally revoke this change, but let's feel it out.

Thanks for the input, all, and the OP for the suggestion.
instead of doing it right of the bat you could have tried a poll first.

but meh this does save all that hassle we'll see, i'm against it but it will be intresting to see the effects.
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
In favor.

Bodhidharma

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Thats just going to split the roleplay hubs more and more, and speaking from experience, it will have a negative effect on people gathering and socializing more in random, as opposed to planning PM meetings. Which, as nice as they are, can stunt RP as you'll never meet new players.
Who said bonding and meeting new players can't occur during daylight?

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
Who said bonding and meeting new players can't occur during daylight?

No one said it can't happen during the day.
But there are times you log, when it's already night, and again if you go convenience vs. authenticity just so you can go afk just till the sun comes, it's a bit disappointing.
Of course you can say "why not go through the sewers". Well, if you throw that realisim pot into the mix, why would certain PCs go through sewers? even if i is insane to go out at night, recent outlanders and new people wouldn't dare going through the sewers.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
Lock all the gates, except the western one. Have it closed, but not locked. Locked, perhaps, if there's a player willing to be the gatehouse guy.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
it just hit me.
we are closing gates cause its more authenthic right?

isnt it authenthic to have a gate guard letting you trough or not.

so instead of doing the real authenthic thing here you are just causing more inconvience.
inns and all are still open so not ALL of barovia/vallaki is locked down

thnx purist for that gas that gave me a brain fart

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
we are closing gates cause its more authenthic right?

isnt it authenthic to have a gate guard letting you trough or not.

You mean during the day? If so, feel free to stand at the gate and check papers or register outlanders. Cormyr, in the Forgotten Realms, registers everyone passing through their borders.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
no at night.
its normal and they are there aswell the wall guards      there should be gate gaurds at all times cause a gate is an entry point and is thus defended by guards.

if you want it authenthic it should have a npc that lets ppl in and out DAY AND NIGHT,  cause its not authenthic at all cause settlements like a regular home is indeed on lockdown but a inn  or the gambling halls of the nymph arnt, wich means  not the whole city is shutting its fdoors as soon as the sun vanishes.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
Barovians, by the whole, are supposed to be cowardly (when it comes to nighttime) and lock themselves in at night. I don't think there should even be guards on the wall at night.

dark_majico

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
I dont think any of my characters would survive a trip into the city through the sewers if I ran into even a single wererat, but I really like this idea. Awesome.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
no at night.
its normal and they are there aswell the wall guards      there should be gate gaurds at all times cause a gate is an entry point and is thus defended by guards.

if you want it authenthic it should have a npc that lets ppl in and out DAY AND NIGHT,  cause its not authenthic at all cause settlements like a regular home is indeed on lockdown but a inn  or the gambling halls of the nymph arnt, wich means  not the whole city is shutting its fdoors as soon as the sun vanishes.

If people needs to get things done in the city at night, like...gamble or watch some hotties dance or even get a room in a Barovian inn...then be in the city before they lock the gates. Simple as that.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
I dont think any of my characters would survive a trip into the city through the sewers if I ran into even a single wererat, but I really like this idea. Awesome.

There are bigger wererats running around Vallaki after dark. If you can wander around Vallaki without much of an issue, the sewers shouldn't be a deal breaker. As for the sewers though, the ladders leading up to Vallaki are often near the well entrances.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 04:19:33 PM »

Outlanders using vraja to enter Vallaki at noapte...

... seriously, if one needs to do something in town (or out of town) before night comes it's just a matter of being careful and organization.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676