You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: BANNED?  (Read 5150 times)

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
BANNED?
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »
Hey I have a few friends who just bought NWN from gog.com and they really want to join our community but when they try to log on they get a message saying "Attemping to find server, Server found: Attemping to log in, Connection to server has failed, Connection error: you have been BANNED."

Anyone know why that could be happening? They can join other servers, just not ours. So...any advice would be awesome so I dont go over there and beat his machine down lol

Thanks in advance guys!

-Lotte

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: BANNED?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Hey I have a few friends who just bought NWN from gog.com and they really want to join our community but when they try to log on they get a message saying "Attemping to find server, Server found: Attemping to log in, Connection to server has failed, Connection error: you have been BANNED."

Anyone know why that could be happening? They can join other servers, just not ours. So...any advice would be awesome so I dont go over there and beat his machine down lol

Thanks in advance guys!

-Lotte

What's their forum account?

kaz

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
This one. I just got it. Did I need a forum account before connecting?

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »

Thanks in advance guys!

-Lotte

What's their forum account?

kaz and n0mgoose

n0mgoose

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
Oh hi.  My account on NWN is n0, it was just too short to sign up here.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
This one. I just got it. Did I need a forum account before connecting?

I am just checking if your IP's are connected with any past rulebreak.  :)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
GOG.com provides you with a generic CD key for playing NWN; that one is common to everyone, and has probably been banned for good reason (probably some griefer took the piss and got that CD key banned). I know that the CD key I initially got was banned even though I had already switched to a new one and wasn't using it.

You can, however, request your own new multiplayer key from GOG.com; this one should be unique to you and not banned.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »
So I downloaded NWN from GOG on my PC, replaced my .ini file with my old CD keys and it still tells me I'm Banned when I try logging in.

Anyone have any advice?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 02:23:07 AM »
Was that not you on as Eugene earlier today? Just checking in case it's someone masquerading as you...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »
I logged him on yesterday....I don't recall logging him on today, though I'm pretty sure I have him PW protected.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 03:01:35 AM »
If you haven't cleared it up already, when you download NWN from GOG, the nwncdkey file is a generic one, which has been banned from pretty much anywhere.  You need your old CD keys and need to manually replace them.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »
Yeah I replaced my nwncdkey.ini file with my CD key.

Was there something else I was supposed to do?

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 04:01:56 AM »
IIRC you need to send GOG a message asking for a new CD key set and they will also give you instructions on a few other key files to replace or a special patch to run.

Seniies

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »
[jerks out his whip and helps beat the dead topic]

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 05:02:28 AM »
I already have the GOG key and tried using it.  I also tried using my old CD key.

I'm a n00b, but not that much of a n00b  :P

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »
You followed all the weird GOG.com instructions that Jay spoke off?

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 05:33:03 AM »
My brother purchased the game for me on GOG a while back, we loaded it on to my laptop and it worked with no problem.   Now he's given it to me for my new computer and said I just needed to move the cdkey file into the neverwinter folder.

He probably forgot to include some other necessary instruction, I'll contact him about it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
either that puck or maybe it has to do with Sorens Security on the server if it bans your computer IP. try getting into other servers with your CD key, if it works then the problem maybe that your added to a ban list via his scripts?

just a possibility

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »
My brother

Using the brother excuse now!

Tsk!

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:40 AM »
Sweet sweet justice
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
either that puck or maybe it has to do with Sorens Security on the server if it bans your computer IP. try getting into other servers with your CD key, if it works then the problem maybe that your added to a ban list via his scripts?

just a possibility

I've been trying to give her support for it, it's not typical GOG issues from what I've been able to gather. She replaced the nwncdkey.ini with her old one that had her old CD keys. She's tried opening it up and manually editing the keys, and opening it back up again to make sure the changes saved properly.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »
Could you describe the exact issue and WHEN the message is displayed ?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
honestly, it sounds like you should just uninstall it, then reinstall it without adding your old cdkey (you should never have done that since it's a separate copy) and just follow the funky GOG instructions.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

trsoul61

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Outlander
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Same here, btw. I have purchased the game from GOG because I was tired of the German/English mix of text, and I am also banned from playing PotM. I CAN play other Multiplayer games online, though. Requested a unique key from GOG now.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
Success!

So basically I had two NWN folders on my computer :facepalm:   I found the other one, replaced the cd key file and voila!

Thanks for all the help guys  :dancing: