Author Topic: Crashing on character creation  (Read 1971 times)

Taty

• Dark Power
Crashing on character creation
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:07:34 PM »
I have found recently that without fail I crash when I get to the portrait section of a new character. This problem occurs not just on POTM but on other servers as well. Any thoughts how to fix this ?

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Re: Crashing on character creation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
to many things to load uhm to many pics, means somthing cant handle the load dunno the correct term but it is that.

i myself found that my old pc has a hard time when it comes to that section of creating a char it starts to make a fuss and takes awhile befor he shows them all but the old gal still works, so i think your just one step further and crash.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »
Does the program outright crash, or does it just sit there idle for a really long time? Because I've noticed once I get to that point in character creation myself, I end up sitting there for about 3 full minutes before it moves again, and my computer's only a year old. :|
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »
Does the program outright crash, or does it just sit there idle for a really long time? Because I've noticed once I get to that point in character creation myself, I end up sitting there for about 3 full minutes before it moves again, and my computer's only a year old. :|

It crashes. I don't see it being slower than it was since I upgraded to a 1 gig video card very recently.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:48:06 AM »
You have too many portraits in your folder. I got that too until I started purging the folder.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:08:57 AM »
Yes, what he said.  When I added Senies pack it put me over some unpublished threshold and I had to go through and remove ones I didn't want or wouldn't use.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:23 AM »
There are alot of pointless Portraits in Senies pack, like elementals, goblins, bugbears, demons

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
It's not about too many portraits, at least not exclusively. Happened to me when I had just a few (less than 30). Some portrait had something wrong, maybe the file was corrupted or compressed in a way that the game does not understand, it would crash until I removed that single portrait.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
It's not about too many portraits, at least not exclusively. Happened to me when I had just a few (less than 30). Some portrait had something wrong, maybe the file was corrupted or compressed in a way that the game does not understand, it would crash until I removed that single portrait.
That's entirely possible, but I still think there's a limit to how many portraits you can have in the folder that the game can reasonably handle. For me, trying to find one single broken portrait file out of the hundreds in the folder wasn't feasible anyway, so I just kept deleting them until the game stopped crashing.  :P

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
Had the same issue about a month ago. I simply had too many portraits. I deleted some, and everything went back to being good.