Author Topic: A new path to the vistani camp in Vallki?  (Read 3103 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
A new path to the vistani camp in Vallki?
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
I would like to propose an idea of creating a new path kind of a back door to Vistani camp.

This is show that characters that wish to avoid the outskirts can. A good position will be a back door in from the Vallaki woods.
As it sits now, there is only one path to the Vistani camp and thats through the outskirts.

I'm sure some other players may agree with this.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: A new path to the vistani camp in Vallki?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
I would like to propose an idea of creating a new path kind of a back door to Vistani camp.

This is show that characters that wish to avoid the outskirts can. A good position will be a back door in from the Vallaki woods.
As it sits now, there is only one path to the Vistani camp and thats through the outskirts.

I'm sure some other players may agree with this.

I do agree it's a bit strange how the Vistani camp is a "dead end" of sorts and a path leading eastwards from the camp to the southern forest would be appropriate.

However, on the list of priorities, is this really that high? ... A character who wants to avoid the Outskirts can already do so by taking a detour through the southern forests (I've already done so accidentally when I was new to the server!) Sure, it's a couple of areas of detour in an area that's not all that safe for newbie PCs, but it's possible.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
this has been discussed many times and this is where some of the things said.

why not connect vallaki vistani to the camp?
counter argument:
cause then more high lvls will pass trough, and its a low lvl hub.
----
yes but what of those that want to go to the port the low lvls?
---
then they should hire a high lvl to protect them.

in short it will create more route for high lvls wich are not suppossed to be in vallaki much as its a low lvl area, the lower lvls can not survive in the other areas as there is not much they can beat without a proper party so there would be no income.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
I can go around the outskirts and avoid the city, but if I want to do business with the vistani. Like sell loot or buy look. I have to cross the outskirts. Who partols the outskirits. Garda. The idea is just to make an intersection so that one can just simply avoid the outskirits if they so chose. Avoid the crazies and the garda. Im not proposing to connect it to the Mist camp at all. Just a connection from the Vallaki woods.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
Yes, like the idea to have a backdoor to the vallaki gypsies connecting. Such would connect the western and easter path of the map, completely avoiding the city. As it is currently one'd need to take a long detour to avoid the outskirts, throught the backmaps of the forests throught the luna river. Many calibans and baddies would be avoid the wall guard, the garda patrols and the lunatic riff-raff going on in the outskirts.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
this has been discussed many times and this is where some of the things said.

why not connect vallaki vistani to the camp?

That's not what he's proposing...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »
dutchy misunderstood it perhaps, yes.

But I totally like this idea.

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
i would grealy favor this backway, all though there should be some kind of warning for new players to make sure that they would not end up in the outpost.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
well then think about this please.
first off sorry for the misunderstanding.

if you are new you join this server, you take the wrong route walk into the forrest run into the bears wolves (at night werewolves) and boars you'd die.

but atm you walk into the outskirts where mostly is someone instant rp and introduction to the server and its people you see a temple a city a inn, its a much easyer transition to settle in then running into all these animals in the woods and die, most would think what the hell i already died pfff nvm this server.

thats the other side of the coin :)
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
if you are new you join this server, you take the wrong route walk into the forrest run into the bears wolves (at night werewolves) and boars you'd die.

That can be fixed with a sign post, though...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
afterall the reading they already had to do?  they would be glad to be logged in and able to play and then they have to trial hunt their way to safety?

i think it would hurt new players more then it would benefit the exsisting playerbase.

so yeah like the idea (really do) but i rather make sure those new players dont get more confused then they already are by this new setting (to them)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Make it a somewhat hidden passage. Some narrow pass.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 03:31:18 AM »
Make it a somewhat hidden passage. Some narrow pass.

Yeah, a Search check to spot it?

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:22 AM »
or post a small sign like Danger, Wolves in the this area. Something to warn them.

Or make the path really narrow and not obvious.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
If I remember right the east part of the vistani camp area and the west part of the southern woods both have elevated 'bluffs' along those edges. In the southern woods there is a way to get to that first level of bluffs.

How about a unobtrusive ladder (or a rope or something) behind the card reader's vardo that takes you to the top of those bluffs there and then a transition into the southern woods?
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »
something like that. Its small and not obvious.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
Some vines sliding down from the bluff behind the Raune's vardo. Make it something more natural, not a ladder or proper rope.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »
Is there anyone that has a say about this?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »
There happen to be a big mist thing close by and the Vistani probably dont want you building a damn backdoor at their Mist gate or whatever it is (if it is lore wise).

Also, walk around! To easy with some backdoor vine or whatever. Some struggle damnit! :P

Renegadelycan

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Ok, so why would a baddie or gundarakite or caliban etc,. want to avoid Vallaki and the outskirts? Persecution, being attacked, etc,.

I believe herbalists can make invisibility potions, if so, buy some. Problem solved.
Current characters played:

Fenris Vahara
Kelict Maddos
Galius Corsairos

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
You can also come into the western outskirts from the northwest farmlands or from the west.  Take it slow, watch for people you don't want to run into, and when you verify there aren't any, make a run for the Vistani camp.  Too encumbered to run?  Wait for right before nightfall.  If you're trying to avoid guards and Radu, well, all right-thinking Barovians are going to be gone from the outskirts at dusk.  Or, wait for the middle of the night -- the Vistani camp doesn't close ;)