Author Topic: suggestions for dementlieu  (Read 3012 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
suggestions for dementlieu
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »
Hello,

I was thinking recently about some ideas for dementlieu and I thought of two, related to crafting that I think could be benifical to the server over all.

crafting resources: this is what it says on the tin. Crafting resources in dementlieu, smithing, woodworking, herbalism and so forth. there are a number of crafting stations in vallaki but not many actual resources. I think having them could be useful. Plus it would allow for things like hard-labor for crimes.  I think this would be good for the server.

gilding station: related to the above, I think it could be good to have a gilding station in the port. I think right now there is only one in the server so having another available could be beneficial, particularly on the other side of the server basically.

also unrelated to crafting is the idea that perhaps a hospital could be in dementlieu.  The port from my readings, I believe canonically has a hopsital, dedicated to the mentally ill. So I think having a hospital in the area can help create more rp for the area. I also think that such a place could be a place to buy healing kits and similar healing supplies.

feedback and other ideas and comments are of course welcome.

-herkles

Taty

• Dark Power
Re: suggestions for dementlieu
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
An asylum would be really useful, there are a good many people running around the Port in need one, most of all Torakka's NPC's :P

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
An asylum would be really useful, there are a good many people running around the Port in need one, most of all Torakka's NPC's :P

... or PCs who had too much contact with tarokkas NPCs.

The gilding station i would not support as long as silver is the only gildable material. Silver is just too rare and exotic.
A way to acquire crafting ressources would be nice... maybe limited to basic ressources, and then via the shops. In the tanners shops, one can buy leather and hides - but those are not craftable. Why? I mean, think of it - basic materials would hardly hurt once you are of a level that can survive the port.

Hospital and healing supplies: +1!
Though, the coverage of Hala-hospices is extremely good yet.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
well having a silver mine in dementlieu could help off-set that; plus unlike vallaki which is designed as a low level area; dementlieu I believe is deisnged to be a high level area.  So having crafting resources, and more areas in that region could help. A silver mine could also be useful I suppose.

the halans work as do the ezrite church, but I like the idea of having a place for hopsital/medical rp heh.

Also another idea: more guest suites in the governor's hotel and/or more rentable places like the governor's hotel in the port. Maybe houses that are rented like the penthouse, thus designed for multiple people and not just one person.

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Horse races and maybe add chess tables or poker tournaments?

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
Many people have suggested that Dementlieu gets an upgrade. It has ALL the craft equipment in town, with only one seperated from them all. Evey last craft is at the docks, except herbalism. Which is inside one of the Hala's. As for more places to stay, the slums have a tenment which costs half the price. Then again "noble' characters tend to prefer the hotel, along with most because it's nice. Not that the tenments is terrible looking, it's fact the law is there. Along with it not being the slums.

Many of the resources that crafts take up, can be applied to Dementlieu. Canon, and uncanon wise they could be added. Seeing as Forests to exist, which gives leather and wood. There was one silver mine, or iron i forget which. That's still active under a town south of Port-a-Lucine, also it'd be nice if Demenetleu had a gunsmith craft. Giving the fact it seems something they'd have access to, and so would the players provided they have... Documentation.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
Canon, and uncanon wise they could be added.

Canon : Dementlieu is very short on resources. It's actualy quite a barren land. About the only thing they don't import is potatoes, which they actualy can grow.

The gilding station

Horror of horrors. I missread that as gelding station.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
I agree on some ways to have resources in Dementlieu despite the fact canon-wise the land is a full importer.

And I'd like having the asylum which is my own mind being uploaded.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
however, canon wise the only mineral that exists in barovia is iron. So we need to remove the silver mine, and all other minerals right? I wouldn't think so, hence why having a few resources in dementlieu wouldn't hurt much and would add to the server. Also timber is a major resource, canonically there are several large forests that exist in dementlieu, in addition to the lakes in the east.

And an asluym/medical hospital I believe is neat as well considering that dementlieu is the 'madness' domian.

@rave: I figure horses would be part of the dementlieuse culture in the countryside, however they are not in the module so they likely won't be seen any time soon.  Though gambling dens could be neat to see.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
I expected as much for the resources in Barovia not being canon. Due to the fact one mountain produces ALL that's needed for smithing, which makes no sense logic wise. Why not spread the rarer materials to Dementleu? Seeing as we've already broke resource canon a long time ago. It gives purpose for people to move away from Barovia, and actually explore the server. Which indeed means more work for the developers, but that's the reason they're developers!

As for the Asylum, i've always wondered why a middle aged land like Barovia has one.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Nemien Callishan

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »
And I'd like having the asylum which is my own mind being uploaded.

But the asylum's in Nova Vaasa......

I expected as much for the resources in Barovia not being canon.

Don't forget that the overall challenge ratings in Dementlieu on the server are so far from canon that I've found myself grumbling about it on numerous occassions.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:07:54 PM by Nemien Callishan »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
There are several asylums, including the one in Nova Vaasa you're thinking about. One's on Dominia nearby.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »
Quote from: ravenloft wiki
The Asylum of Port-a-Lucine is directed by Dr. Zuvich, a sceptic who does not believe in the Legions of the Night. Among the patients at the asylum is an individual who was abroad the Martha's Pride out of Martira Bay when the vessel was set upon by the undead crew of the Illsong under the leadership of Audun Beck. The unfortunate fellow is now being treated for his "delusions" of there being "living dead".

That is what the ravenloft wiki says, citing the source of creatures of the night: vampires, as refrence. just thought I would mention this :)

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:20:13 AM »
There was also an asylum in Barovia, Teufeldorf if memory serves me right, from where the manager left to go to kill dunke Gundar. Actually asylums in the Core are pretty common. In the Italian Ravenloft server we actually had one of our main dungeons set in an asylum not far from Levkarest.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
How about pets? I want to see people walking around with Poodles or cats. :mrgreen:

Make them level 1 summoned spells so they'll not be worth for anything other than RP

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
another idea: perhaps some of the locations, golden fig, governor's hotel, voix de l'ame, chaz leon and so on. could hire people to work there like the Broken Bell does in barovia?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »
hiring people to run/manage/work for is dependant on the players/DMs interest.

Nemien Callishan

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 05:21:23 PM »
How about pets? I want to see people walking around with Poodles or cats. :mrgreen:

Make them level 1 summoned spells so they'll not be worth for anything other than RP

Wizards and sorcerers can have "pets"......

another idea: perhaps some of the locations, golden fig, governor's hotel, voix de l'ame, chaz leon and so on. could hire people to work there like the Broken Bell does in barovia?

Nemien wants to work in the Grand Library. Or all the bookshops. And that coffe shop/bookshop thing that's blatantly just Borders. But she can't stand coffee.

Nemien Callishan

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »
Madame Geneviev's Bawdy House.

It's been mentioned a few times by characters whilst spreading rumorus and adding flavour to the port.