• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Tracks
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
Here it is: on another server
Spoiler: show
Arelith
there was this wondrously implemented tracking system, which really gave some boons to trackers, rangers.
When a character entered a map transition it left behind some track. The tracks eventually cumulated, and after some time the old ones vanished. So one could determine who entered the area in the past 1-5 hours, could determine the approx race, weight (so armor) and that the character was entering or leaving the area.

Considering that it's pretty hard to tail someone as a sneaker, since most people just switch to run mode when none looking, and you are stuck in the walk enforced sneak mode quickly loosing your prey, even the most accomplished tracker looses it's target within a minute.  :|

Something like this would really add to the ranger class (yes, I'm biased), probably the result can be modified by the search/spot whatever skills, and would give some to the atmosphere. (you can check if someone entered the dungeon recently, hey maybe you can even check what kind of creature took up dwelling in the cave, examining the track mark outside)

What do you think?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Tracks
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »
This idea came up a few years ago too. I supported it then, and would still support it now. Sounds like a lot of work, though.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
Arabel has a widget like this too that druids and rangers get

tells you if anything is around in vague descriptions and directions
if you have high levels of skill it gives you more details

makes playing a druid or ranger nice

i found this in a quick search:

Ranger Tracking Skill System  Modified by Algernon's Ghost for The Vast, debug work by Trooper_Max
This script is modified from the original HCR version to take into account target-creature size, weather, and predictable visibility factors. The DC modifications for these factors are based on the PHB v3.5 rules for tracking. We have also eliminated the tracking tool inventory item, and moved the activation of this function to the custom crafting radial menu (activation code is not included here), and restricted use so that characters must have two or more ranger levels before receiving tracking abilities.

code: http://www.nwnthevast.com/dl/scripts/tool_pc_rangertr.nss.txt

might be something to give druids too?
and maybe a less effective version to elves (only available in woods)..
and maybe a tweaked version also available to dwarves - (only useable in cave systems and such?)

just an idea
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
Wow!

I don't understand scripts but having a scripted feat is just cools. Wonder if there's a slight chance of anything like this being implemented for a short time of testing, only for a tiny time, yes, no?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:41:36 PM »
Considering that we have a huge set of custom scripts, I don't think it's just an easy 'cut and paste' for something like this.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
i dont understand it but ive always liked the idea of ppl beeing able to track whatever.

so yes i support it aswell, would be intresting to say the least.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:48 AM »
Considering that we have a huge set of custom scripts, I don't think it's just an easy 'cut and paste' for something like this.

Didn't say it was

The coders looking at it would understand the basic functionality though. Only they know what works with the per-existing scripts or what variables need to be changed to implement something. I just posted to try and be helpful rather then just say 'yeah thats cool i'd like it too.'

Coders can take one look at that and would have a very good idea on what may or may not be feasible.

there are much more robust scripts running here then on other servers ive played on. i have every confidence they can make something like this work. as with anything though it comes down to the next build priority list.

and although unlikely sometimes it -is- as easy as cut and paste
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth