Author Topic: Druids and Metal Armor again  (Read 13604 times)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Druids and Metal Armor again
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
Is it okay if I have my druid wear armor made out of bacon?

Doubles as emergency rations!
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
Is it okay if I have my druid wear armor made out of bacon?

Becarefull if you do, my druid Kala might eat you and think your a boar........yea she is a little feral.....;)

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »
Bacon if made in a purely organic manner, is acceptable

But it would prove highly inefficient as armour. And Kala looks abit like a roman soldier these days, they aren't very feral

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:49 PM »
Hard to make heavy armor into something that looks feral, try it some time.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
Dark Powers > Curse > Roleplays

rcaver

• New to the Mists
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Don't know if it makes a difference, but my elf druid is a native of Ravenloft. He does no worship any of the gods of Toril, or the Dragonlance series, or White Wolf, any other canon setting. As you all know, better than me, the gods have a peculiar relationship with the land of the mists. It stands to reason (to me) that druids who originate in the land of mists might operate a little differently than, say, the ones in Faerun.

Badelaire

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
Why does a fighter wear heavy armour? Because they are constantly in situations where they are up against opponents bearing all manner of armaments trained in martial combat as they are. Why would a druid, a nature priest and warden of nature, ever need to wear plate mail? Because...

DAT'S SOME CHEDDAH!

(If you take that seriously and to heart then you should be looking for another outlet in life.)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
Its really a non issue, this whole topic. Let Druids wear their metal armor and let DMs make a horrible thing happen, such as spell failure, lowered Wisdom, etc.

The druids repentance/redemption would be fun to play. Its an IC problem and not an OOC one. Those arguing NWN was made wrong are right but not how you're talking abbout. Every character should be able to equip any armor and any weapon, but with penalty if not proficient.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
It's an OOC problem because the game allows druids to equip armor that 99.9% of them shouldn't be able to (without losing their druid abilities).

Also, I doubt DMs are doing much to oversee proper roleplaying of clerics and paladins, so call me skeptical that they'd ensure proper druid roleplaying as well.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
Also, I doubt DMs are doing much to oversee proper roleplaying of clerics and paladins, so call me skeptical that they'd ensure proper druid roleplaying as well.

DMs are always watching. And if not, players are watching and whining to DMs to get them to watch.  WINE, CHEESE, I'LL MAKE A SNACK-PLATE!

...all kidding aside, a good IC solution to an IC problem would be, roleplaying your oath-abiding druids outrage and disgust at druids who wear metal, and getting all Advanced Dungeons and Dragons on them and claiming their territory.  Oath-breaking swine belong at the bottom of the druid hierarchy!  Why doesn't a whole circle of Druids take up arms over this?  I'm sure some plate mail will be insufficient to weather their wrath.

IC solution, IC outlet that contributes to the world.  And I always hold fast to the hope that DMs slap nasty, well thought out curses on the PCs who ask for them with their actions. ;)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
I know for a fact that they do, be skeptic if you would like.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Always watching, maybe, but they've said time and again that they'd rather spend their energy storytelling rather than ensuring everyone is roleplaying their class properly.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »
Forcibly telling people how to roleplay their class is something DMs should not do actually and neither should fellow players.
Look, we all know druids should not wear metal armor and we have loads of very good alternatives for druid PCs on Potm, but there is always the freedom of anyone to do something outside the bounds of the class. And for those classes that have codes, oaths, dogmas and whatnot there will always be players that fail to roleplay it in the eyes of some others either through ignorance, lack of care, or specific choice. Its up to all other PCs and DMs through NPCs to make that choice matter in the narrative. Anyone who has enough time and energy to start a movement on the forums would be much better served doing something through their PC in-game. And if their PC would not care or would not do anything about then they certainly should not spend time muttering about it.

I have seen loads of characters who did not live up to my expectations of their race, their nationality, their world of origin, or their class in game over the years. Its just not something I believe should be approached in the forums with peer pressure. IC peer pressure is great, OOC pressure is lame and makes you look like a rules bully.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »
Forcibly telling people how to roleplay their class is something DMs should not do actually and neither should fellow players.
Look, we all know druids should not wear metal armor and we have loads of very good alternatives for druid PCs on Potm, but there is always the freedom of anyone to do something outside the bounds of the class. And for those classes that have codes, oaths, dogmas and whatnot there will always be players that fail to roleplay it in the eyes of some others either through ignorance, lack of care, or specific choice.

You see it as a freedom to do something outside of their class, and I see something that is either cheese or borderline cheese. Also, I don't think they should be bullied, but I do think they should be made aware of when they are playing their class either contrary to the rules or the nature of that class. Rather than think we are telling them how to play a class (or race, or whatever), it's more that we are telling them how to not play the class. There is an important difference there that I think is... important.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
You are missing an important difference too ;)

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter, but a druid is not prohibited from wearing metal (prohibited) armor, however. :) There is no cheese, not even borderline cheese.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:04:34 PM by Emomina »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »
I propose that all of us that are against metal armor druids, band together and hunt down those betrayers of nature. Death to all defilers!

rcaver

• New to the Mists
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »
*sigh*

[opens the craft window, starts scrolling through all the the armor appearance options until he turns his steel plate into something resembling plain leather. Dyes it forest green so he doesn't get lynched and/or horsewhipped for failing to meet the school dress code. Surveys the result. Satisfied that no one can look at him and see anything that indicates he is wearing so much as a single scrap of leather, he saunters out of the bedroom in perfect confidence that someone is going to find something else to fume about.]

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
*sigh*

[opens the craft window, starts scrolling through all the the armor appearance options until he turns his steel plate into something resembling plain leather. Dyes it forest green so he doesn't get lynched and/or horsewhipped for failing to meet the school dress code. Surveys the result. Satisfied that no one can look at him and see anything that indicates he is wearing so much as a single scrap of leather, he saunters out of the bedroom in perfect confidence that someone is going to find something else to fume about.]

Hey! Hey! Has to look like plate! Cheese~!!!

;)
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
You are missing an important difference too ;)

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter, but a druid is not prohibited from wearing metal (prohibited) armor, however. :) There is no cheese, not even borderline cheese.

Yep, as long as the player doesn't utilize any of their druid abilities for 24 in-game hours, I'd be satisfied. But I'd like to see the player who would actually do that...

I compare this to playing chess with someone that is playing by checkers rules. I'm not just going to smile and humor the guy because I think he's a simpleton. I'm going to kindly and carefully explain how the rules go. Games have rules, and rules should be abided by.

But I think those saying metal armor is ok is misunderstanding something.

To begin with, the list of metal armors available to a few types of druids in the Forgotten Realms which Badelaire supplied a link to (which is without a doubt the most lenient, contradictory, core-rules-be-damned setting out there), was limited to elven chainmail and light chain. Neither of which is in our loot tables.

Therefore, any metal armor that could theoretically apply to an atypical druid, isn't even available.

Hey! Hey! Has to look like plate! Cheese~!!!

;)

*resists urge to start up on that topic*

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 12:43:02 AM »
Why don't we just show them IC, do the research of how to wear more then ironwood and then hunt the besties down, find a crafter, then find money for said crafter.  Have the armor Made...........isn't that what RP is about. Kala did this.......she found someone who was wearing what she thought was plate and asked the PC, how he could cast in plate. If he says his god lets him....end of it. Of course i found someone in non-steel plate and went about the path i described. learned how to handle plate from a fighter...took 2 Months in RL to do so. Its all about the RP!!   :D :D

Mr. Thorn

• New to the Mists
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 01:51:10 AM »
So your gonna go around and deal with all the druid's who has made an choice to be different..........because? The problem I'm seeing here is that people are complaining about the druid oath, which is true that they need to abide by, but IC how dose your character's know that the druid take's an oath in the first place. It just seem's to much OOC on this topic. if your not a druid than explain how you know they take an oath because the last time I checked they don't walk around telling people that sort of personal information.

If you are smart then you can have power. We all know that power corrupts. So if you are smart you will become evil. No wonder all the good guys are idiots.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 02:10:49 AM »
Clerics have to take domains and alignments based on their respective deity (and I'm not even getting into roleplaying requirements). Druids should have to follow the rules/restrictions of their deity/power that they are bound to via their oath as well.

And it's not because they are being different. It's because they are utilizing armor that they aren't supposed to be having access to (without losing their druid powers for 24 hours).

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:06 AM »
I wonder what this thread is about now that all powder has been shot...
As usual, to sides. The ones who have read the background of the class and expect ones taking it to play accordingly.
And the munchkins who are happy that the background is not enforced and knowingly (or in some cases unknowingly) ignore it - and put much creativity in justifying why that background is not relevant.

No side will change their attitude - as usual. Same as with paladins. So what was again the point?
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:56 AM »
When everyone is an exception then it stops being an exception.
It is a Rp server and honestly metal armour wont give any advantage to the class, compared to chitin (and characters are so weak in the begining that metal armour at first levels isnt needed to survive, if odds are against the char then he ll die anyway), so balance has nothing to do with it.
If player does that due to IC reasons and informs DMs and actually intends to Rp it as a fallen druid or whatnot (with curses, penalties and so on) is the one thing, but when player just doesnt care and begin to invent reasons why char could be allowed to do this and have abilities is the other.
We are playing DnD game where different classes havedifferent traits that make them recognisable, so maybe let us respect these rules and guidelines. Because of coursegame isnt a religion and to be honest I do not care much of what character wears, but if everyone would start exploiting nwn holes to negate unique traits of the classes and general rules then it stops being DnD and becomes something else.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 03:44:03 AM »
Exactly,  what is the point of the thread?  I think its pretty easy to see its just wasted words.

And btw, I never break tenets on my characters, if I ever make a druid it will wear chitin, its just that I find it tasteless how players want to enforce things instead of trusting the roleplay to take care of it. Its a debate without cause.