Author Topic: Natural fear checks?  (Read 2217 times)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
Natural fear checks?
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:19:16 AM »
I found this list interesting from a pen-and-paper roleplaying PDF on horror mechanics for 3rd edition AD&D. What I find most surprising is that some of the items on the list are potentially scriptable.

FEAR CHECKS
A character should make a Fear check when facing overwhelming odds and/or immediate, dire physical danger. Fear checks can also be used to test the morale of the PCs' foes. Some common fear triggers are:

* The party is badly outnumbered or outclassed by monsters. (The EL is 4+ higher than the party level.)

* The most powerful character in the party or half of the party's members are killed.

* A menacing monster is immune to the party's weapons and spells.

* A menacing monster is at least two size categories larger than the biggest member of the party.

Psyche

Re: Natural fear checks?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:35:56 AM »
I must be a machocist, because even with the low risk vs reward, powerful mobs, and exhaustion system, i'd be in favour of this.

Not a full-blown fear effect though, maybe a -2 to attack & skills when 'shaken'.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
I must be a machocist, because even with the low risk vs reward, powerful mobs, and exhaustion system, i'd be in favour of this.

Not a full-blown fear effect though, maybe a -2 to attack & skills when 'shaken'.

I would love to see something like this implemented.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
hmm, I would be intrested in seeing how this could be scripted though; most of the things mentioned I am not quite sure how it could be scripted properly but then again I am not familar with the NWN language.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
Like I said in the Innocence thread, it's too context-based to be done via an automatic scripted system.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
We could just have more of the famous Big Bads like Jezra Wagner get dragon aura sans the visual effect (which is rather unsightly). I mean, you hear about this fearsome witch atop of Barovia from the local peasantry all the time, and by the time you reach the summit, you are overwhelmed by the cold and probably more than a little fatigued - would it not make sense to have people, even adventurers, feel dread during those types of situations?

(also it would make the boss a lot harder, despite it being hit with the NERF bat pretty hard recently)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
Jezra was "hit with the nerf bat" because she was made more powerful than she should have been. She really shouldn't even be a boss, in my opinion. She's not supposed to be an epic super tough character, and she's not a darklord or anything of the sort. She's a spectre with some unique cold-based powers.

Anyway, fear/horror/madness checks are best left to human judgment instead of an automated script. DMs have guidelines on when to call on them from players.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
In the described situations i absolutely do not need a scripted fear effect.

First, those usually are enough to make me concerned about my characters precious life, so running off screaming happens intentianally (if the situation is indeed overwhelmingly dangerous).

Second, the NWN fear effect is crap. Running around like a blind chicken, preferably away from one opponent towards a few others or straight into the next corner where the chasing opponent can beat the frightened, helpless character to pulp. Or usually running towards a passage and then behind it - so if the monster follows, there is definitely no way to escape.

Thanks, of that i do NOT need more.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:35:54 AM »
In the described situations i absolutely do not need a scripted fear effect.

First, those usually are enough to make me concerned about my characters precious life, so running off screaming happens intentianally (if the situation is indeed overwhelmingly dangerous).

Second, the NWN fear effect is crap. Running around like a blind chicken, preferably away from one opponent towards a few others or straight into the next corner where the chasing opponent can beat the frightened, helpless character to pulp. Or usually running towards a passage and then behind it - so if the monster follows, there is definitely no way to escape.

Thanks, of that i do NOT need more.

This is true the neverwinter nights fear is obsurd, you would never see a good dungeon master describing a fear affect like that in a PnP game, otherwise there would be squables, limp wrist fighting, and nerdy friendships would be destroyed forever in a shower of TaB Soda.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »
Just another example of the magnificent benefits of the fear effect on roleplay experience.

I can hardly call what i exerienced yesterday anything else than a battle frenzy due to fear. Makes much sense, right?
Fight goes on without any change - besides that i had nothing else to do than watching my character continue to fight without the option to retreat, to heal or to switch targets... well, without the option to do anything at all besides watching the hitpoints slowly running through my fingers.

oh... [sarcasm: off]
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:31:54 AM »
The NWN fear effect is obnoxious because it skips the first stage of fear and goes right to the second stage of the D&D fear effect. At least it doesn't go straight to the third stage. It would be nice if we had a more PnP-like version of fear.

Fear
Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. If a fear effect allows a saving throw, it is a Will save (DC 10 + ½ fearsome creature’s racial HD + creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects. A failed roll usually means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

Shaken
A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Shaken is a less severe state of fear than frightened or panicked.

Frightened
A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can. If unable to flee, it may fight. A frightened creature takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. A frightened creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.

Frightened is like shaken, except that the creature must flee if possible. Panicked is a more extreme state of fear.

Panicked
A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other actions. In addition, the creature takes a -2 penalty on all saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. If cornered, a panicked creature cowers. A panicked creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.

Panicked is a more extreme state of fear than shaken or frightened.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman