You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Craft trap  (Read 7603 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Re: Craft trap
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 03:44:27 AM »
I believe craft trap should be a tradeskill. Much like smithing or woodworking. Someone can do it it will just take practice at doing it not based on level. Its like selling holy water and someone can just make a holy trap out of thin air and can use that trap against PCs. How can holy water hurt you if you are not undead?

As far as improvise traps like pit traps, that can be a different story.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
How can holy water hurt you if you are not undead?

Quite simple my friend, you simply get drown in it. ;D

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
Considering that crafting traps has been nigh useless the entire time I've been here, I really doubt there are any plans to implement that.  You just have to sit there with your piece of quartz rolling over and over until you get that natural 20!  :/  Or it breaks.

However, being a trapper character is still viable, last I checked there were routinely free holy traps in the werewolf cave (paladin's boat), negative traps in Terg Crypts and lich tower, spike and fire traps in the Alhoon's lair, spike and gas traps in the Sullen Woods.  Not enough to dominate a dungeon, but enough to be a trapper.  :)

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
My char must be broken then because i can make traps?!?

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
Anyone can TRY.  You just can't put skill points in it.  It is possible to craft minor traps,  I do it all the time.  You just waste a LOT of crafting items in failure, because I did not pit points in it.  I use them for RP only,  minor traps are not about to be killing anything.

RigorMortis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:38 AM »
Hmm, More traps would give Well Prepared Rangers and Rogues the ability to set ambushes which is sort of the point of thier class, perhaps this isn't so much for balance, but the RP created from someone walking into a slew of traps could be eventful and interesting change to the regular Charge and eliminate techniques.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 03:58:25 AM »
Traps can play an important role in ranger ; rogue roleplay but it can be abused easily. A strong trap crafted and set is hard to detect and can outright murder people (especially a lighting trap) without roleplay giving much pain.

But with such, ambushes are indeed possible, opening up highwayman rp, enriching assasin rp, hunting rp and so on.

Something have to be figured out though to avoid the abuse. Like player set traps won't kill but knock out others, to 0 hp.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
As I said before I think traps should be a craftskill not a skill base on level. Make the check Wis and Int based.

What my idea of PC traps or field traps are something like these.
Bear or game trap.
Poison needle trap.
A simple pit trap.
Booby stick trap, put a hole a small hole in the ground, lace the bottom with sharpen sticks or bamboo, put feces on the sticks. Real simple but real nasty.
Silver Bear or game trap -> extra damage against shapechangers.
Trip Wire alarms.
Simple land mines -> use gunpowder and make a real simple one.
General Spike
Holy Trap -> Only works against undead.

Others would probably use essences or varnishes.
Lighting Trap
Negative Trap
Acid Trap
Fire Trap
Cold Trap