You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Too tired to keep searching...list of racial stat mods?  (Read 13915 times)

Kagetora

• Undead Master
Too tired to keep searching...list of racial stat mods?
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:01:55 AM »
So, one of the reasons I have umpteen "aborted" characters that need deleting is because it seems to be pure trial-and-error when it comes to choosing a race after you log in...some of them get some pretty odd stat modifiers as part of their "skin."

Is there a list anywhere of what races get what modifiers?  Man that would be helpful when making a new toon.  So as not to screw things up.  I've spent 45 minutes searching the forums to no avail.  Anyone?

Emomina

• Dark Power
Re: Too tired to keep searching...list of racial stat mods?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:15:40 AM »
They are the same modifiers as the subraces are in the DnD rules. There is no guesswork. If you choose a subrace you can expect it has the exact same ability modifiers as you'd expect.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:21:54 AM »
Right...but I don't own every single book, not by a long shot.  I have quite a few, but I'm not even sure what edition we are using.  I'm assuming 3.0, but we allknow what happens when you assume...

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:31:31 AM »
its 3.0/3.5 so to find the racial modifiers for Half-Vistani or the Silvanesti they will in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting 3.0, for the Forgotten Realms subraces you can find them in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting 3.0 or the 'Races of Faerun' supplement or the 'Player's Guide to Faerun' supplement.  For the Dragonlance subraces they are in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting 3.0, Eberron in the Eberron Campaing Setting 3.0 etc.   

Most of the races use standard Core Rules Player's Handbook stats.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 04:31:55 AM »
You mean the base races, like elves, half-orcs, etc? I'm pretty sure there's a description of them in the character creation screen. I don't know about the sub-races available on the server though. The NWN Wiki on the net is useful if you have base questions on game mechanics.

Other than that, here's from a previous discussion:

There is no given list of stats because that is not where the focus should be at.

When making a character, pick a subrace you know how to RP. If you are not familiar with a setting, don't play a character from there.

From here.

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=15365.0

Oh and this might help too:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0?post_id=332168970#332168970

But mind you, only a small minority if those sub-races are implemented here.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:35:15 AM by Winter83 »

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:36:52 AM »
I could publish a comprehensive list on the forums, but I am not sure it is wanted or needed.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:41:53 AM »
Yes, yes...the entire point of playing here is to RP.  Does that mean I have to make a gimp character with a bunch of mistakes on it to do so?

As an example, a while back I was attemtping to make a Wood/Sylvan elf character.  Who knew they got +1 STR and CON and -1 DEX and CHA?  I'll tell you...its sort of a shock to pick that off the menu, then see all your stats shift into the "useless zone," ending up with 4 odd-numbered stats that I would have to get to level 16 in order to fix.  Especially when the character in question was going to be a Bard, who now suddenly is short of DEX and CHA.

I understand the focus is not supposed to be solely on stats and powergaming.  I PREFER that.  But I hate having things just screwwed up for no reason other than someone thinks its a bad idea to compile the modifiers used for races in this module.  At that point, as opposed to the trial-and-error method, it becomes easier and smarter to just not deal with it, and pick a vanilla race, then RP it as something else.  For example, just pick Moon/Sun Elf and claim to be anything I want.  Annoying.   :x

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »
...it becomes easier and smarter to just not deal with it, and pick a vanilla race, then RP it as something else.  For example, just pick Moon/Sun Elf and claim to be anything I want.  Annoying.   :x

Don't do that, good grief, that is the definition of cheesing.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 04:50:25 AM »
Exactly my point.  Which brings us back to the "trial and error" method and a bunch of aborted toons on the login screen.   :shock:

Those links that Winter posted were interesting, but I think some of the stat modifiers listed do not match what is implemented in PotM.  To continue my previous example, I made that wood elf, and had 13, 15, 11, 14, 10, 15 stats...when I log in I have 14, 14, 12, 14, 10, 14.  Although the correct stats are modified, they are not modified in the same way as those links list (+1 instead of +2).

[edit]  And I just made a test wild elf...instead of +2 Dex, -2 Int, PotM gave them +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha.  I don't think that list is accuate.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:14:41 AM by Kagetora »

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
I think what confuses you and others is that the default races in NWN have the default ability modifiers.

The Moon Elf of Forgotten Realms for example get +2 DEX and -2 CON. Its the standard PHB elf mechanically so you will not see any adjustments once you are on the server.

BUT, you create any Wild, Wood, Star, Sun, Silvanesti et al out of this base elf.    So for example if you have a Wild Elf from forgotten Realms whose ability modifiers are +2 DEX and -2 INT it has to nullify the CON penalty of the standard elf and to do that it gives an increase to CON of +2 to void the previous penalty. So on your character sheet there will be a Red number in INT that is two lower than you alotted in character creation and there will be a Green number on the CON that is two higher than what you allotted.  All of it means that essentially you have +2 DEX and -2 INT and its correct.

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
Compensating for the adjustment of base NWN stat adjustments aside, some of the elven subraces do have -2 cha that isn't in line with that link, nor any other resource that I know of. And wild elf is supposed to be sorc favored class, isn't it? I think both wood elf and wild elf have -2 cha.
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
I was pretty sure that was what was going on, but the numbers are not adding up as far as I can tell, to be in line with the "published" material.  None of these characters ends up anywhere near where they "should."

Example:  The Wild Elf.  Make a Base Elf, who gets +2 Dex, -2 Con.  Fair enough.  Log in, choose Wild Elf as your background, who should have +2 Dex, -2 Int instead.  PotM SHOULD give you +2 Con and -2 Int modifiers to offset the base Elf.  This is, however, not what is happening.  The Wild Elf in PotM KEEPS the base Elf Stats, then adds +2 Str and subtracts -2 Int and -2 Cha.  Which adds up to no subrace on that list.   :lol:

Its CLOSE to what a Wood Elf should get (+2 Str/Dex, -2 Con/Int), but not the same.  And, as I mentioned previously, the Wood Elf is getting +1's in four different stats.

I think something is screwwed up somewhere.   :)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
A wood elf has -2 Int.

I learned this by making one with a base into of 10.

I was going to make just an elf, but I was forced to pick 'which kind' of elf. Since the PC was a druid, I thought Wood would be good. I ended up, by mistake, with 8 int. I did NOT intend to play a PC that couldn't speak properly, thus he got scrapped in a hurry.

If anything, I think the stat mods should be made available for the subrace description so the player can see what they are getting into before confirming.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
They are adding up.  What you did is make a Wild Elf from the Forgotten Realms setting. And Wasteland made a Wood Elf from the Forgotten Realms setting.
I am going to quote myself from a couple of months ago...
In Forgotten Realms, the wild and wood elves are as follows:

Wood Elf -  +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON -2 INT, -2 CHA  and favored class Ranger
Wild Elf -    +2 DEX,  -2 INT  and favored class Sorcerer

and that is exactly how they are in PotM too. My Sorcerer is a Wild Elf and has no charisma penalty. Woods elves do get the CHA hit, but +2 to STR and to DEX is powerful and making a melee character with them is much more fitting, hence the favored class Ranger.
If you would like to play the standard (Greyhawk) Wood Elf, then pick Oerth as their World of Origin. The Torillian Copper elves are distrustful and slightly haughty/arrogant. They don't deal with other races hardly at all so the CHA suffers because of it. In other words the Torillian Wood and Wild elves are separate subraces than the Greyhawk Wood and Wild Elves of the Core Rules Monster Manual. They ARE mechanically weaker ones, so don't play the Wood (Copper) and/or Wild (Green) elves unless its because you want to portray an elf that is disadvantaged because of upbringing and cultural isolation.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:40:48 PM by Emomina »

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »
Thats fantastic.  Now, what would be really nice would be to have that info compiled somewhere, accurately.  Because the list that was linked to does not seem to have that quality about it.   :lol:

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 02:21:22 AM »
You just told me everything I already knew, except for the stat modifiers.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »
um, Sorry?  :lol:
Should I refrain from attempting to clarify next time? Or were you more interested in complaining about the subrace system's limitations than actually gleaning information?

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:54 AM »
My post was really an example of why a lack of information is bad, and agreeing with Kage that such stat information would be good.

I knew full well that what I made was a Torillian Wood Elf, because I specifically chose the setting I was most familiar with :P

What I didn't do was go hunting through my books to find stats for all the various elves, and as Kage said, not everyone owns every book. They could be very familiar with a setting, just not every subrace within it. Also why I suggest that stat modifiers be shown in advance in the subrace information dialogue. I've now got an elf that was apparently dropped on his head repeatedly as a child because he can't even speak proper, all because I was unaware of the intelligence decrease. So now he's scrapped, and will forever sit as clutter in my character page.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »
"Even Monkeys fall out of trees."

Apparently so do Wood Elves.   :lol:

Darkelf30420

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
I have the Dragon Lance books. Here's a small list out of the main campain book

Human: As per PHB

Elf:
Sivanesti: +2 dex, int; -2 con, cha
Qualanesti: as per PHB
Kagonesti: +2 dex; -2 int, cha

Dwarf:
Mountain: as per PHB
Hill: as per PBH
Dark Dwarf: +2 con; -4 cha
Gully: +2 dex, con; -4 int, cha