Author Topic: Vistani Captain added near to the Outskirts.  (Read 4134 times)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
Vistani Captain added near to the Outskirts.
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »
Yes, you read  that right. Can a Vistani Captain be added to the camp near the outskirts to take high levels to mist camp. I know you can add a level restriction on his conversation "Text Appears" tab so he would only offer the trip to those who have been in the land of mists long enough that he would recognise them and by that trust that the PC has the money to pay for the trip. I would suggest you set the level restriction to 10. Further more make it a one way trip only so if you're making your way back to the outskirts after adventuring in another land you still need to take the long trek back fom Tser pool.

This would make it easier for those of us who have IC reasons to stay near the outskirts, to have a closer option to get to the mist camp. I bet you'd find greater numbers then making thier way there ;)

Thoughts on this?

WildPirate13

Re: Vistani Captain added near to the Outskirts.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:14:39 AM »
It was suggested however not approved. Sometimes during events I see a carriage to places in the outskirts. I like that method its a nice touch. It was covered in another thread I am sure. I was for the Vistani Captain as well.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:17:55 AM »
I think there should only be one place in each domain to hitch a magic carpet vardo ride. Also, I abhor any explicit OOC device like a level restriction in-game.

We need less reasons to encourage someone to loiter around Vallaki, and more reasons for mid- & high-levels to loiter around the Village of Barovia instead.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:24:11 AM »
More mid-high level dungeons will help, as will actually people hanging otu there more.

The only assured way for people to move, is if they can expect to find RP somewhere, so its mostly  in our hands

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:00 AM »
Well I was suggesting a in character reason for it, you know something like.

"Hey, may I travel with you?"

Eye's you skeptically, looking you up and down with a look as if judging cattle "Giorgio, you must learn the ways of the land before I trust that you can handle that which the mists can deliver. Perhaps once you have proven yourself, should you still live... Then perhaps I will consider your request."

Ussual travel dialogue if above the required level.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:35:31 AM »
I get that you can pass it off with some in-character rationale, but that's not the point. We don't have any level-required mechanics in-game at the moment (that I can think of), and I'd prefer to keep it that way. It's too much of an OOC consideration.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:38:38 AM »
It would also removve any travel time at all, and make people skip back and forth between Dem and Vallaki constantly, making it so the Port would have even less of a population than it does now, since people only show for events.

I also think those caravans that show up for Events shouldn't, since all they really do is encourage hanging out in Vallaki, and only going to Port for the show

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:44:34 AM »
Yes but my suggestion is only for a one way trip, you can get there quickly but you're still going to have to take the long trek back.

Anyway, for me it's quite the discouragment as the time spent to get to the Tser Pool is just too long in my little world view ;) I don't mind taking the long time back but having to walk all that way just to go there in the first place is a real ditterrent for me. I know the Devs are not going to implement horses and understand thier reasons even if I wouldn't do all those things that they fear the player base would do with mounts. Thus I thought I would suggest an alternate method of gettiong to mist camp quickly.

Oh well, one can hope I guess  :?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:30:58 AM »
More mid-high level dungeons will help, as will actually people hanging otu there more.

The only assured way for people to move, is if they can expect to find RP somewhere, so its mostly  in our hands

If only a dungeon make people go there, then we can close down the server. This is a RP server, a PW story server. Not a action server.

Renegadelycan

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
If only a dungeon make people go there, then we can close down the server. This is a RP server, a PW story server. Not a action server.
^This
Current characters played:

Fenris Vahara
Kelict Maddos
Galius Corsairos

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
As I said only I changed what point I brought up first:

Only expected RP will guarantee people will go anywhere, but mid-high dungeons will help motivate people by having more things to do in that area.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:37:30 PM »
If you don't roleplay when you go into dungeons, you're doing something wrong. Yes this is an "rp server" but that doesn't mean you're supposed to sit around having tea parties. :P

There's a good reason why there's no captain in the Vallaki camp. Vallaki is the starting low-level area. All the areas you'd travel to from there are deadly to a new player. If your level is high enough to survive the area at the other end of the trip then you shouldn't be loitering around Vallaki anyway.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
The thing is blue people do loiter around valaki and they are high levels, noot sure what we can do to fix that though.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
The thing is blue people do loiter around valaki and they are high levels, noot sure what we can do to fix that though.

You entice them. New dungeons, more areas to explore, more things to do, more available crafting materials, etc. I'd like to see expansion east of the Village to Nova Vaasa. Nothing like another nearby domain to arouse the interest of mid- and high-level characters.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
Looking at player list, I'm seeing more and more people being in the Village and Dementlieu on regular basis.

Maybe this will slowly improve. The feel I get - and I apologize beforehand to those who manage to take offense - is that many of high level Vallaki loiters are seeking certain 'glory', either IC or OOC, for being the most high level about, and have no real wish to move their RP to other areas from what they are used to.

Village of Barovia is plentiful for craft resources, save smithing, and Dementlieu offers some resources, albeit not all.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
Looking at player list, I'm seeing more and more people being in the Village and Dementlieu on regular basis.

Dementlieu has over the months with a lot of dedicated player and dm effort become a dynamic area for rp.  It won't ever be on par with Vallaki due to Vallaki being the entry point for new characters/players but there's a lot going on in the port and more developing all the time as more characters spend more time there.

The port's 'hot spot' based on what I've observed ic, as a reliable place to encounter other pcs and rp is in Quartier Publique near the bank where the mesmerist npc is. It's a location that is a bit of a 'crossroads' in that you will see pcs on their way to the hotel, bank, theatre, or heading to Marchand for bounty hunting at night.  It's a location to run into pcs icly at.

The mist camp is an excellent place to reconnoiter as a higher level pc because eventually other pcs will pass through or stop by, either on their way to another domain or to sell to the npc merchant there. It gets a lot of traffic and opportunity to engage in rp as characters wander through. 

I've personally found that the rp away from the outskirts is far different and more mutually rewarding, there feels like less rp with 'something to prove' and characters being far more interactive with one another as characters.  Away from outskirts there is a general feeling of players rping with one another, rather than at  each other.  This has been my personal experience, and it's my opinion, results do vary for players and characters.

The Port isn't for everyone, the outskirts isn't either but there's a lot to the server and the setting beyond the outskirts experience and there's a lot to be explored as pcs become higher in levels and move away from the starting area hub.  It's great to have such options, because one size really doesn't fit all.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
Also, I abhor any explicit OOC device like a level restriction in-game.
like, say, a merchant who only talks to characters with rogue levels?

i have always been in favour of a vistani caravan starting in vallaki. the level restriction surely can use some consideration
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

Yeah, that is annoying. A rogue level doesn't necessarily mean that person deals with shady folks, or is instantly known to be trustworthy in gray market transactions...

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
If dungeons got nothing to explore, they are kind of boring and im sceptical people really RP in dungeons after running it for the 100 time.

Anyway the rogue level merchant is more of a thiefs Cant thing. I guess it be to much to make it like lvl 5 rogue :)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
Its also not only rogues, its rogues and certain other people. Class isn't the only factor to why he sells to people.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »

While it might seem ooc and forced for the npc at tigan's to only sell to pcs with certain classes there are many examples of such in game.  There is a temple that will only allow arcane casters the opportunity to gain admittance for example.

This is where networking ic via rp, and dealing with other pcs helps a character find more opportunities than might be available to them alone.  Such as an elf or outcast character asking another pc to purchase something from them at they can't buy themselves due to some npcs refusing to do business with certain races or high ocr pcs.  I'd like to be clear, this isn't a suggestion that 'all things can be found with RvT' response, this has nothing to do with faction rp or pc merchant rp.  I'm referring to building connections with other characters in general, because PotM is an inherently harsh setting and characters will always do better helping one another survive than going it alone.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
don't get me wrong... i like elements like class restricted merchants. so you have always new things to find with new characters.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:58 PM »
I guess my main reason for asking this in the first place is being that I live in Australia alot of times when I log in I find very few people on and those that are on are no where to be seen. There have been days where I have wandered about and seen nobody else not once despite travelling all that way to Port and back again, which takes out an hour of my game time which isn't nothing to niggle about. All that time with nobody to RP with then what's the point? I dispise hack slash games and grinding is so boring to me. I actually tried staying in the Port for a while to see if RP wise things would improve... Guess what, same thing there was nobody about so I got bored and moved back to vallaki.

So yes I have an OOC reason for staying close to Vallaki alot, that's where any potential RP is going to be if any happens at all for me. Most of the time nothing happens there either but occasionally a newbie logs in whom I get to RP with :mrgreen: And that is a product of my real life location... Now if more Australians logged on or anyone in my time zone for that matter then this issue would be less of a problem. Fact is though you all live in the US or Europe so you're either asleep or working in real life. The only way I can get around this is to log in at really odd hours of the day. Say log in at 2am and play on from there, something I have been doing lately I have to admit, but it can't last forever.

Now I honestly don't see any issue with placing a level restriction on a Captain near the outskirts after all you're still free to take the long walk to tser pool if you are really that foolish enough to do so ;) And placing a captian there would make it honestly easier for someone like me to say you know... PM Mode --- Oh you're in Port , No problem be there in a jiffy, we can have fun roleplaying then ;) As it is, it's more often, "Sorry I'm still in Vallaki so be a bit before I can get to you"... The ussual reply then is.. "Oh never mind then, maybe we can hook up next time as I have to log soon" or something like that.

But I'm the minority, so I guess my vote don't count :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:54:26 PM by Honoun »

Badelaire

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
I've personally found that the rp away from the outskirts is far different and more mutually rewarding, there feels like less rp with 'something to prove' and characters being far more interactive with one another as characters.  Away from outskirts there is a general feeling of players rping with one another, rather than at  each other.

Just that statement there details my own experiences.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »
And I would agree from the few times that I have been in the Port where some RP did take place. However those occurances are rare and far in between for me that spending all my time in reality there, ussually provides no RP at all. Again though this is cause of my time zone, least that's how it seems to me cause all you wonderfaul ropleplayers live in area's diametrically apposed to mine so I have to suffer the inane and sometimes self centered roleplay mind set that is present in the outskirts.

Yeah I hear yous, "log in and find me, we'll have fun I assure you". Sure thing... But yous are never on when I am or I'm never on when you are so go figure... See above for as to reason why.

Now if I had quick and easy way of getting to the Port some of this issue would be solved. Not all of it but it'd be a compromise I could live with I assure you. ;)