Author Topic: New player's infopack questions  (Read 2276 times)

Uranos

• Outlander
New player's infopack questions
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
Hello there.

As a new player here I wanted to familiar myself with all the changes and diviations that decribe this server, so below is a list of all things that I would like to ask:

1. There are new racial/background/other feats added to the server - where can I find a list with full descriptions (requirements, effects, etc)?

2. When a char comes from lets say greyhawk and was a cleric there (Hextor for instance), will the god from that world still hear that chars prayers? (as in I don't have to change my deity?) How do deities from different worlds impact each other when they have the same portfolios - ex. greyhawk and fearun?

3. Is there a builders module that can be downloaded?

4. The game has various guilds/organisations with curtain specific objectives. Can players create there own guilds or only sing up to those available?

5. I didn't find the topic so.. Is stacking skill points when leveling allowed?

6. I noticed that intimadate, persuade, bluff and taunt were removed and changed with influence and.. something. Are there any other skills added/changed other then those two?

7. Apart from monk and paladin restrictions - all other class combinations allowed? For ex. cleric/druid or sorcerer/blackguard as long as I keep the number requirements (5 prc atleast, 10 lv max diffference between max and min class?). Also can more then 1 prc be taken?

There will probably be more questions so please responce using quote and keeping the numbers correct :-).

Thanks in advance,

Uranos

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: New player's infopack questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
Hello there.

As a new player here I wanted to familiar myself with all the changes and diviations that decribe this server, so below is a list of all things that I would like to ask:

1. There are new racial/background/other feats added to the server - where can I find a list with full descriptions (requirements, effects, etc)?

There really is not an area on the forums to find that info out. At least not one that I can find.

2. When a char comes from lets say greyhawk and was a cleric there (Hextor for instance), will the god from that world still hear that chars prayers? (as in I don't have to change my deity?) How do deities from different worlds impact each other when they have the same portfolios - ex. greyhawk and fearun?
You do not have to change your deity. However you will not hear your god whisper back to you. You have divine power but no connection to your god. why this is; is well a mystery. Clerics from other worlds do not feel the same comfort as they would back in their world. They feel cut off and distant, they get the powers but that is it. afaik.

3. Is there a builders module that can be downloaded?
No, to get the module you would have to join the dev team. You can find the application here.

4. The game has various guilds/organisations with curtain specific objectives. Can players create there own guilds or only sing up to those available?

There are two type of groups PC created and dm supported. Quite explanatory, the vardo, ezrites, garda and so forth are supported by the DMs as they are canon. However nothing stops the players from making their own group.

5. I didn't find the topic so.. Is stacking skill points when leveling allowed?
If you are meaning save your skill points for the next level to have more skill points? not sure, but sans the first few levels when this is possible leveling is quite slow here. So it would take a while before you get to the next level to even do this.

6. I noticed that intimadate, persuade, bluff and taunt were removed and changed with influence and.. something. Are there any other skills added/changed other then those two?
bluff + persuade=influence
intimadate + taunt = antagonize

I believe that is it.

7. Apart from monk and paladin restrictions - all other class combinations allowed? For ex. cleric/druid or sorcerer/blackguard as long as I keep the number requirements (5 prc atleast, 10 lv max diffference between max and min class?). Also can more then 1 prc be taken?
[/quote]

I believe those are the only restrictions. However what should be first is the rp. Also Prestige classes require an application in order to take them. I believe you could have more then 1 PRC but you need to apply again.

If you have any more questions about the server or the setting of ravenloft feel free to ask :)

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
#6 in addition to intimidate & antagonise , the Parry skill was given the benefit of adding to ones AC for every 5 ranks in that skill , though this only effects you when not using a shield ...Im not as fammiliar with the skill & it benefits as others , so I suggest searching the forums for "Parry" for more info.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »

The god can hear your prayers and grant spells/special class abilities (e.g. turning undead), but nothing else. He cannot talk back to your cleric, or send visions, or appear as an avatar, or otherwise interact with your character while on the demiplane. The gods are unable to intervene in the affairs of the Demiplane of Dread.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
1.  You can't find a list, but the background feats show what benefit they offer in game so that you can peruse them before picking 2 of them.

2. Check out the awesome resource DM Bluebomber made :Religion Resource Thread
When the Mists deposit an outlander cleric within Ravenloft, such clerics immediately feel an emptiness and separation from their deity. While they continue to receive blessings, boons, and spells, they no longer feel their gods at their sides. This absence can cause Outlander clerics to go through periods of depression and crises of faith. Without the gods’ ever-watchful eyes to oversee their worship, imported religions often experience a “theological shift,” often ending up different in several key ways from the original religion.

3. No, you would have to make your own module and load the RL haks

4. Player created and player driven groups exist and can thrive, but needs motivated players because there is no guarantee of DM support.

5. Saving skill points is totally allowed, why wouldn't it be?

6.  Bluff and persuade have been combined into a skill named influence. Intimidate and taunt were combined into antagonize. The skill Parry was given the benefit of +1 shield AC for every 5 ranks invested in it, when using a weapon. Craft Armor, Craft Trap and Craft Traps skills are not used on the server so putting any skill ranks into them is a waste.   And for all these reasons, its highly advised that new characters are not assigned their skill points until level 2, once they are on the server. The skill Ride is also useless unless mounts are ever implemented. Perform is only able to be taken by bard too, unless that gets changed.

7. Monk and paladin can not be combined with other base classes.  At least 5 levels of a prc have to be taken if you become one, and always there is the 10 lv difference between highest and lowest class, and yes, 2 different PrCs can be taken but it must jive with the roleplay and like every thing else on potm should not be a build motivated by lust for mechanical power. (but it can be powerful as a nice side benefit :) )
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Uranos

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »
3. No, you would have to make your own module and load the RL haks

Can I ask for the hak list and the order they should be placed in the module then? :-)

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »
Dunno, that sort of thing behooves those that wish to have it to find their own way. Most players on PotM do not pre-plan the whole build, because months and years will pass and a lot could change with the character that you may wish to be reflected by their skills and feats and sometimes even ability increases.   ;)
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Uranos

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 04:25:49 AM »
Dunno, that sort of thing behooves those that wish to have it to find their own way. Most players on PotM do not pre-plan the whole build, because months and years will pass and a lot could change with the character that you may wish to be reflected by their skills and feats and sometimes even ability increases.

You misunderstand me. The test module (hak order, tlk etc) are not for char testing but rather for understanding the changes that been made. For starters I want do desing my chars clothing, weapons, head, etc - it is WAAAY easier and faster in Aurora rather then in game. Also (if I have time, an idea, etc) I want to add something to the module itself - new areas, change the existing ones, new scripts etc. It will not be a fulltime job - more like adding small things (that's why I don't want to apply for a builders "job").

I want to pre-plan my char because I will have VERY little time to play - making new chars because "something went wrong with the old one" is not an option for me - for some of my friends also. All of you that have families, fulltime jobs, kids etc should understand that. Pre-planing is not just for powergaming.

Regards,

Uranos

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
You actually have a lot more freedom and flexibility in clothing/armor design in-game than you do in the toolset. At least from the waist down, anyway. EDIT: also you have more flexibility in what colors an item will be in-game because you can dye pieces individually, whereas the toolset dyes all parts of a certain material (leather, metal, etc.) simultaneously.

I'll update the hak order in the item design thread, since it's changed recently. :)

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
Here's the hak order for you:

rl_2da_v190
rl_addons
rl_creatures
rl_mountain
rl_placeables
rl_ruralcity
rl_tilesetaddons
rl_tiletextures
cep2_top_v24
cep2_add_doors
cep2_crp
cep2_custom
cep2_core7
cep2_core6
cep2_core5
cep2_core4
cep2_core3
cep2_core2
cep2_core1
cep2_core0

Under "custom TLK file", make sure it says "ravenloft"

Then compile/rebuild the module and save it.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Will the updates alter the normal pricing or anything? Curious.

EDIT: In the toolset, I mean. When we're making things to suggest.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
Will the updates alter the normal pricing or anything? Curious.

EDIT: In the toolset, I mean. When we're making things to suggest.
probably not, but it's best to use the most up-to-date haks nonetheless

Uranos

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »
Hello there!

Its been a while since I've been here.

Is the hak order up-to-date?

Thanks!

Uranos

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
We haven't made any changes to the haks in the last year.