You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Levels - difficulty - deserted hot spots  (Read 6430 times)

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
Re: Levels - difficulty - deserted hot spots
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »
Levelling isn't really that slow, but it does take some careful thought and exploration, you have to actually seek out the dungeons that work to your playstyle. Lash, my cleric, is Level 7 and barely three months old, and only one of those months have actually involved gaining XP because the RP xp system is getting fixed, or revised, or whatever. She's a cleric, so maybe she doesn't count?

Lance, on the other hand was my pure fighter, He got to level 9 in two months. I've got a lot of experience with the server as a four year player, so I can pick and choose the dungeons to suit my chars and their abilities. Tagging along with higher levels is awesome, but if you really want fast progression and can't find a party, ask someone with experience where they would reccomend you go with what you do have. Risk vs reward is not so bad on this server, as long as you search for placed that provides you, or your group, with low-med risk.

Secondary advice: Do deliveries, earn money, buy disposables, use them, they'll improve your abilities two or three times over, gotta spend money to make money, y'know? When it comes to dungeoning, the point is to kill the NPCs before they kill you, buy potions, varnishes, increase your damage output, just don't expect to start making money from dungeoning until you don't need these things to clear a dungeon.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41:11 PM »
In addendum to this, as part of Lashillias biography I will be posting tactical information regarding how to handle the locations she is currently engaging, I may end up publishing this IC as a book. Lash mostly solos, but any thing a single cleric can do a group of two-three other chars should have zero difficulty with, using the right tactics.

Edit: This may or may not prove useful, because Lash will be writing for herself and it will mainly relate to the best tactics for her, but I might slip in some more general tips.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:45:26 PM by Amon-Si »

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »
It sounded right or even understated to me in the original post. I don't have a single character higher than level 7 and my two highest characters (one level 7 and the other level 6) are more than a year old -- the level 6 is actually three years old. Most of my characters are level 4.
From being a person that has more characters higher than 7 than I can even properly name or list....
Just trust me when I say, levels are not hard on PotM... BUT they don't just happen on a timer, you have to go and get them. This is especially true if you play less than 10 hours a week. The characters that level in good time seek challenges, not just the decrepit skeletons and juju zombies slaughter and ML temple and outskirts RP routine.

level 6-8s should be gathering groups and doing the werewolves caves near Constantine's, and the Monastery south of Vallaki's southern forests, the water trolls, the spiders, the vampires, the sullen woods. All I see are level 6 clerics throat stomping the ML temple's entire length, i.e. skeletal warriors, alone and taking the easy, safe and slow way (and the ooc inconsiderate way mind you). I prefer much more challenge and risk with also more reward in both xp and money and items.

But the outskirts crowd, that logs on, rps in the outskirts or its two interior maps, and maybe ventures to one of the nearby convenient XP dungeons and that is the extent of their game will not experience good progression. They are using only a fraction of the server's varied resources for progression so it only makes sense, and they put an unnecessary strain on the spawn rates of a handful of places.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

LackofCertainty

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 01:09:17 AM »
It sounded right or even understated to me in the original post. I don't have a single character higher than level 7 and my two highest characters (one level 7 and the other level 6) are more than a year old -- the level 6 is actually three years old. Most of my characters are level 4.
From being a person that has more characters higher than 7 than I can even properly name or list....
Just trust me when I say, levels are not hard on PotM... BUT they don't just happen on a timer, you have to go and get them. This is especially true if you play less than 10 hours a week. The characters that level in good time seek challenges, not just the decrepit skeletons and juju zombies slaughter and ML temple and outskirts RP routine.

level 6-8s should be gathering groups and doing the werewolves caves near Constantine's, and the Monastery south of Vallaki's southern forests, the water trolls, the spiders, the vampires, the sullen woods. All I see are level 6 clerics throat stomping the ML temple's entire length, i.e. skeletal warriors, alone and taking the easy, safe and slow way (and the ooc inconsiderate way mind you). I prefer much more challenge and risk with also more reward in both xp and money and items.

But the outskirts crowd, that logs on, rps in the outskirts or its two interior maps, and maybe ventures to one of the nearby convenient XP dungeons and that is the extent of their game will not experience good progression. They are using only a fraction of the server's varied resources for progression so it only makes sense, and they put an unnecessary strain on the spawn rates of a handful of places.

People will generally choose the close thing over chancing getting a group together for a dungeon.  Case in point-  The Zeklos Crypts are easier to do than the morninglordian crypt, arguably provide better rewards vs challenge (at least knuckle-wise) and is consistantly at a higher spawn than the morninglord crypt, simply because it's a few zones away from the outskirts.  I've actually never seen that place not have -at least- huecuvas, and often it packs the high priest huecuvas that actually give the level 6 folk decent xp. 

Tanget- The balance of that place doesn't quite make sense to me at high spawns.  The mutilated corpses come in swarms, but they're completely non-threatening compared to the "boss rooms" in that dungeon.  20 mutilated corpses is nothing next to two high priest huecuvas.

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
I've been here a year but realistically more like eight months, as in the first half of the year I went through a long stretch of playing here sparingly.  I have a 12, 9, and 8, and probably could have more levels if I played more efficiently.  A lot of times it's hard though.  You come home from work, people you can adventure with aren't around or are busy, or you get an opportunity to go an a big run someplace but you know you have to drop in an hour.  So those kinds of things can often limit you to soloing, going to places close by, etc.

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 12:13:54 AM »
Your incorrect Balor, many of our high levels also play low level chars.
My point was not that high level characters do not have alts. I am aware of that. I'm just saying that maybe that New Character week should happen a little more often so our newer players don't start off feeling so intimidated by the setting.