You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Upon Respawn  (Read 3480 times)

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
Upon Respawn
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:16:03 AM »
I would like to make this noteworthy and a forewarning to everyone else... Do NOT ever respawn. Ever.
It will destroy you, it's rather horrendous how much damage a simple respawn can do.

Level 12 = 21,000 EXP lost.
I was suddenly level 10.
Bahaha  :shock:

I'd like to offer positive feedback, by saying that the respawn cost is Overpowered and needs to be nerfed. *Edit Positive feed back at the bottom of post*
It's like an Assassin Imp, able to chop down multiple foes and keep coming back for more with it's infinite familiar summon.
Respawn is always there as an option, taunting you..Never backs down. Suddenly you take it like a man, and BAM!

Two months worth of work, thrown into a Trash Barrel to be recycled off the server forever.

*The positive feed back*
I'd rather loose everything then be teased by the thought of loosing everything.
I like your idea, I vote for that one instead. No more nerf, EMPOWER IT!
Who needs gear or gold or level anyways? It adds to the story. Fallen Heroes. Rich to Poor. Powerful to Puny.
 It's the story that matters anyway, right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:54:40 AM by *Robbythedude* »

I plan to log on one last time, and only to kill myself as an example of Garda Oppression.
YO BROHZ! FRONT ON MY BLOG: http://robbythedude.tumblr.com/[/ur

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
Re: Upon Respawn
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »
If the respawn cost were to be lessened then everyone would avoid the consequenses of bounties , jail & hangings via this method.

Ive found that after level 4 the losses become "unrecoverable" , but I dont think they are really that unreasonable

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »
Costs can go up to losing 4 levels if you respawn at a high level. So yes respawning costs you as soon as you leave the lowest levels.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:48:38 AM »
Well, from level 10 1/3 you get to level 9 fresh start:) From level 9 fresh start to level 8 2/3...
If you respawn twice within 4 days:)

That was 3 months work:) so i doubt i reach level 11 this year...

But yeah dont respawn:)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »
At level 4 you wouldn't lose a single level still. The respawn option is by far meant for lowbies. I love how it is. ;)

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 06:58:42 AM »
Well, from level 10 1/3 you get to level 9 fresh start:) From level 9 fresh start to level 8 2/3...
If you respawn twice within 4 days:)

That was 3 months work:) so i doubt i reach level 11 this year...

But yeah dont respawn:)

Lmao
Yeah, good luck. Level progression is like an Old Grandma driving a car. Slower then slow.
I've given up on ever leveling again here, that's how slow. Wanted to see if respawn was really as bad as people say....
Shocker, if all motivation wasn't already gone..Sure is now.
 :roll:

I plan to log on one last time, and only to kill myself as an example of Garda Oppression.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
I respawned immediately after getting level 5 on my Shield Dwarf and didn't lose it. Which surprised me. I mean IMMEDIATELY after; five feet away I died and had to respawn.
Vicerimus Mortem.

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
I respawned immediately after getting level 5 on my Shield Dwarf and didn't lose it. Which surprised me. I mean IMMEDIATELY after; five feet away I died and had to respawn.

I bet it's all hard coded programming. Not percentile based on level and exp, but rather X Level = X Level Taken Away.

Level 1 = None.
Level 5 = Just a reset of level. Start at level 5 again.
Level 10 = Set player back One Level.
Level 12 = Set player back Two levels.
Level 15 = Set player back Four Levels?
Level 20 = Perma Character....?
 :lol:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:39:02 AM by *Robbythedude* »

3Piece

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
The respawn cost isn't all that bad when you look at how lucky you are compared to what you -could- be losing.
You could drop everything in your inventory on the ground, not just your GP and weapons you had in your hands.
You could lose levels being raised, even if it's a resurrection.

Look at the bright side. You're able to respawn, and continue your story. It's the story that matters anyway, right?
Sehwyn Masys

Also: Semisi Joleim; Rayla Mardanel
Laila Folquin-Retired

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »
The respawn cost isn't all that bad when you look at how lucky you are compared to what you -could- be losing.
You could drop everything in your inventory on the ground, not just your GP and weapons you had in your hands.

Look at the bright side. You're able to respawn, and continue your story. It's the story that matters anyway, right?

I'd rather loose everything then be teased by the thought of loosing everything.
I like your idea, I vote for that one instead. No more nerf, EMPOWER IT!
Who needs gear or gold or level anyways? It adds to the story. Fallen Heroes. Rich to Poor. Powerful to Puny.
 It's the story that matters anyway, right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:52:41 AM by *Robbythedude* »

Badelaire

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

Mhmm, I know which server you're hinting about there and death pretty much meant the end of your PC if there wasn't anyone to keep your body safe while you repsawned and/or didn't steal all your inventory from you. There was little chance of finding a cleric who could raise you on the spot and the temple raises still cost you a good level or two.

Perhaps the initial poster would like to share the circumstances of why their PC respawned? Quite a rare occurance at the best of times.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:53:52 AM by Badelaire »

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
Perhaps the initial poster would like to share the circumstances of why their PC respawned? Quite a rare occurance at the best of times.

Their was a moment last night when I lost all motivation for my Bronzebeard to even live anymore. I planned closure.
A rather poor closer, I charged into the outskirts of about twenty people and suicided myself by attacking every single one of them.
I knew what was going to happen, Death. If I lived, and managed to kill every person (Only way I would walk away, no plan to leave unless everyone was dead) then I would attempt my closure another night.

Well, once I got my arse kicked. Dropped down and killed.
I was sitting there, in the death area. Motivation gone, closure success.
I planned to log off and let Bronzebeard be a lifeless corpse somewhere inside the Citadel's torture chamber.
I started to go through my inventory, then I noticed I still had level nine scrolls and lots to give away. I didn't want to waste them, and I knew I wasn't going to come back to life.
I walked through the respawn. Curiosity leading me, but also the small light of hope that I can attempt to kill everyone again and get a even better closure.
I'll give my best Bronzebeard pals some awesome gear, and kill every PC that seemed to have a grudge match.
Sounded much more legit, then just aimlesly throwing myself into a mosh pit of twenty people against me. Much Bigger Bang for my Buck!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:08:01 PM by *Robbythedude* »

Renegadelycan

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
You sound like the worst kind of griefer to me. "Oh hey I'll go kill people randomly because I'm bored".

Go away . . .
Current characters played:

Fenris Vahara
Kelict Maddos
Galius Corsairos

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
You sound like the worst kind of griefer to me. "Oh hey I'll go kill people randomly because I'm bored".

Makes me think of this actually......

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Renegadelycan

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »
Heh heh heh.. I enjoyed that.. thank you.
Current characters played:

Fenris Vahara
Kelict Maddos
Galius Corsairos

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
I believe his avatar sums it up quite nicely.
Vicerimus Mortem.

The_Reapers_Wraith

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:50:27 PM »

Go away . . .

:cheer:

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
The last six or so messages have had nothing positive to add to this, and hence, the thread is now locked.