You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Computer being an bastard  (Read 1584 times)

Budly

• Dark Power
Computer being an bastard
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
As of late my computer been acting up.

Getting slower after gaming, getting blackscreens then turning back to normal, telling me a graphic driver been acting up. Just now it turned fully black and never back again. So I restarted the computer and it tells me "Asus Express gate is incomplete"

Now I consider to reformate the junk. Thing is, I dont know if I have the CD's needed for a reformate. But I believe there is a built in formate, right? Will this be good enough if my drivers are corrupted/non working. I been thinking of doing a autumn clean of the poor bastard anyway since it's well over half a year now since I bought it and its polluted with games, cookies and tons of crap I collected that I never look at anyway.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Computer being an bastard
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »
I've been having problems with my Nvidia graphic driver "suddenly stopped", too. I wonder if we have a similar issue. My driver typically crashes while using the browser though, not NWN.

But I doubt you need to reformat. You'll probably just need to install the newest driver for your graphic card.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:25:03 PM by ethinos »
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
Yeah, it has happended when I been browsing! On Facebook I think, never in NWN or Champions Online or any other game for that matter.

Yours fixed?

It told me there is no new drivers the auto thingy =/ Any link to where I can fetch new drivers would be higly appreciated :)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
I just updated my drivers recently, but not sure if it fixed the driver crashing issues. I'll take a look at it later tonight and do some investigating.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
Sounds good! It is pretty annoying and leaves me thinking that something is broken or a virus snuck past AVG. Once heard of a guy that was surfing Deviant Art, got a virus from an add. So much for the "only surfing on secure, big sites"

Dobian

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »
Do these steps:

A few swift kicks to your computer

Lift it up several inches off the desk or floor, and let it drop.  Do this twice.

Pick up your keyboard, and slam it down.  Repeat.  And do it hard enough to where at least a couple of the keys pop out of their pins.

If your mouse is cordless, pick it up and do some practice throws with it into the wall.  If it has a cord, whip it around by the cord and then throw it like a lasso.

Punch your monitor a couple of times.  Nice hard jabs.

When you are done, your computer will still not work right.  It might even work worse.  But you will feel great!   :D

Tabitha Dalenner, Faerun
Sentire Stefania Milea, Borca
Paulette Gérard, Dementlieu
Salina Pandora, Faerun
Louis Mingo, Souraigne

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:02:47 PM »
Nice tips Dobian! I Gonna try those right away!

*Budly has left the server*

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
Browser being a bastard and crashing stuff again. "Kernel mode driver" or something along this lines stopped working. Same for you Ethinos?

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
Corrupt or outdated drivers will cause all sorts of bad and awful things to happen.
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate