Author Topic: Vampire Priests  (Read 6297 times)

firebrand

• New to the Mists
Re: Vampire Priests
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 04:23:29 AM »
In all fairness undeads should not use divinity to hurt others.... my opinion...

I personally fail to see what is unfair about it. I generally try to be open minded on this sort of thing and I've DM'ed my fair share of PnP games (both D&D and other systems). I really can not think of any valid argument for divine power being unbalancing for a vampire to use. Sunlight based spells sure... but otherwise why is it so wrong?
Tsuki - Caliban Monk
Ashellene Silverblade - Human, Outlander, Sell-sword
Ca'edwyn Tauriel - Elf, Outlander, Druid

Shadowthrone

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 04:40:53 AM »
The "Divine" damage type does not suggest something is necessarily "good", it just means the source is likely a god in one manner or another. Gods can be good, evil, or neutral.

dark_majico

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 04:51:38 AM »
Vampires should be able to use sunlight light oriented spells for the same reason that a werewolf should be able to hold a silver blade.

If the silver cuts them.. it hurts them as a weakness

If the silver cuts someone else.. it doesn't have any effect on the werewolf using the blade

Edit: I'm all out of energy, going to bed, see you all tommorrow afternoon no more rebuttles from good ol' renegade for now.

Edit #2: I actually modified my post this time, vampires should be able to use -sunlight- oriented spells for the same reason.. blah blah and what have you...

You're making this way too technical, I think. I was simply asking for the sake of an RP server, is an undead creature slinging divine spells around (one of the two that is based off of light and harms the undead specifically) a proper spell selection when instead they could be using inflict critical and serious wounds - spells that seem more evil in nature as they are based on negative energy damage.

EDIT: Yes, I'm stereotyping 'evil' and negative energy there. But, to me, I'd rather see a vampire bring down a pillar of red death than a pillar of holy might to smite my party. Maybe I'm odd.

In D&D there is a distinction between Divine and Good. A spell being Devine dosent mean its Holy or Good, infact im not sure if Holy is a mechanic in D&D. More importantly though a Divivne spell is either cast by an evil cleric from an evil god, or a Good/Nuatral cleric. I also checked out the Searing Light spell in the players handbook, its from the Evocation school of magic, and its not s spell with a Good Discriptor, meaning casting it is in no particular way a Good act in itself. Its fair game for any alighnment, and for undead or the living.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:55:24 AM by dark_majico »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »
in PnP there are two damage types directly opposed Positive and Negative. Divine is a completely seperate damage type

Positive are spells like Heal/cure
Negative are things like Harm/Inflict

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
Raw divine power is like any other weapon: It's only good or evil depending on how you use it. It isn't inherently either.

Edit: As far as a vampire's arsenal of spells, if you were a vampire priest, would you be casting mostly touch-based damage spells? I know I wouldn't.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:56:57 PM by ethinos »
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
The "Divine" damage type does not suggest something is necessarily "good", it just means the source is likely a god in one manner or another. Gods can be good, evil, or neutral.
That's all that needs to be said on this, really.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002