You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wisps of Smoke - Memories of Suzette Lachance  (Read 1286 times)

Masquerade Mask

• Outlander
Wisps of Smoke - Memories of Suzette Lachance
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
   Smoke stung her eyes causing tears to roll down her soot covered cheeks as she crawled through the burning theatre. I can non breathe! was they only coherent thought her mind could form as the oppressive heat from the fires bared down all around her. She had to get out, but she could barely remember where she was let alone how to escape. Her body shook from coughing, black mucus splashed the wood floor below her face. It was all she could do to keep crawling forward.

A smile swept across Suzette’s face as she saw her two best friends, Jacques and Marie, peek out of the costume closet and beckon to her. She ran to meet them and slipped inside the room before anyone could see. This was their refuge when there was difficult work to be done. Suzette flopped down on a pile of costumes that needed repairing and tugged the bottle of whiskey that she had just taken from the kitchens out of her pocket. Each slacker took a gulp, grimaced, and then passed the bottle to the next eager drunk. The bottle was half empty before any of them spoke.

“What show is it again zhey are building for?” Marie gave a small hiccup as she spoke. She was a bit part player who had to earn her keep at the theatre by helping the stagehands build sets. She dreamed of gracing the stages of Port-a-Lucine as a leading lady some day, she just had to bide her time.

“I ‘ave non idea. Does it really matter anyway? Zhey are all zhe same after awhile.” a grin grew on his lips as Jacques snatched the bottle of whiskey out of Marie’s hands. Jacques was a handsome boy hired on to help behind the scenes only a few months ago. “We will all be sitting backstage listening to Madame Amelia stumble zhrough ‘er lines and try non to laugh zhe entire time.” Both of the girls couldn’t help but giggle.

“At least zhey finally got a gown big enough for Babette to squeeze ‘er ‘am’ocks into. I swear zhe last time ‘er dress ‘ad to be let out she almost ate zhe seamstress.” This from Suzette. All three huddled together in a fit of laughter. “Maybe she did…’ave you seen ‘er recently? Zhat could be where Babette’s fourth chin ‘as come from.”

The three fell silent as they heard a slow knock on the door. They cursed and scrambled as they tried to make themselves appear busy in the small closet. Slowly the door creaked open and a very small man with skin dark as black coffee looked inside with a frown on his face. “What ‘ave I told you three about coming in here when zhere is work to be done?!” his voice belied his size as it boomed into the room. “Get out ‘ere now!” Nearly knocking each other over, the three tumbled into the hallway. Other stagehands smirked as they went about their business carrying wood, paint, and other tools toward the stage. “Now you three are going to run and fetch us all more supplies around town. Et non…you can non use zhe mule. Carry it yourselves.” With a smirk he thrust a list into Suzette’s hands and they all waited in the hall looking crestfallen until the man had gone.

“Damn Blackjack…” Suzette looked over the list and divided it into thirds. She was in charge of paint, cloth, and black powder. “Alright ‘urry up and get your zhings done I ‘ave somezhing I want to show you all later.” They all said goodbye and went about to get their errands done.

Carmilla Lazarovici - slightly self loathing scholar of history
Suzette Lachance - full of whiskey and ready to shoot her bow

Masquerade Mask

• Outlander
Re: Wisps of Smoke - Memories of Suzette Lachance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
     Her hand touched something soft as she dragged herself through the dusting of ash on the floor, an arm. She slit her eyes open trying to ascertain who the arm could belong to. Hands, groping up the length were met with horror as they reached the shoulder and the body just…ended. The blood had boiled away and all that was left was a crisp dry stump. Bile rose up in her throat but she fought it down. She pulled the limb toward her, the only part of another person she had found in the chaos and despite its detachment, she was not letting them go. Again, forcing herself to go on something caught her eye. The hand had pink fingernails. Non…that was all the thought there was time for as she heard the loud crack above her. The roof was coming down!

She pushed the theatre door open and the ever present smell of fish wafted into her nostrils. Shading her eyes from the sunlight with one hand, Suzette looked around the crowd in the street before wading into it herself. It was a normal day in Sainte Lucienne. With a glance at her list she directed herself to a local artist’s store room for the first item on her list. She slipped easily through the crowd only nearly being crushed by moving vardos once or twice. This was a good day.

When she arrived at the shop a small bell tinkled to announce her entrance. Light slanted in through the large windows on the face of the store bringing everything into sharp contrast with the shadows of the store itself. “’allo?” she called into the gloom. “Etienne? Are you ‘ere?” she picked her way carefully through the room taking note of the paintings scattered about, some finished, some not.

A voice from the back, “Oui madamoiselle I am ‘ere. I will be right whiz you.” Shortly after that a tall, thin man with a mess of sandy brown hair made his way up to meet her. “Bonjour Suzette! ‘ow nice to see you. You must be in trouble again oui?” Etienne had a playful smirk on his face as he regarded Suzette.

She waved a hand dismissively. “You know zhat I always am. What ‘as changed?”

“What can I get for you?”

“I need red paint.”

“All red?” A nod from Suzette. “Alright, give me a minute. Where is your cart?”

A scowl crossed Suzette’s face as she informed Etienne that she would be carrying the drums of paint back to the theatre with her. Soon enough the drums were lashed together with some rope and Suzette was on her way, dragging the paint behind her with some difficulty.

Carmilla Lazarovici - slightly self loathing scholar of history
Suzette Lachance - full of whiskey and ready to shoot her bow