Author Topic: A hunter's query - Journal and notes of Giles Emry  (Read 24019 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
A hunter's query - Journal and notes of Giles Emry
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Prelude

Family:
Mother: Hannah Smith - housewife
Father: Ian Emry - landowner
Elder brother: Gregory Emry (34) and his family, working on the Emry lands
Younger brother: Paul Emry (17) married, no children
Younger sister: Elisabeth (5)
Grandfather: Brian Emry (deceased)

The Emry family holds a few parcels of field in the countryside near Waterford. They are growing corn, barley, and have a few artificial beehives. The family also works on the fields of the local landlord.

Timeline
732: Giles Emry borns
749: At the ago of 17 he had an unpleasant visit in an old and ruined manor house. The house was haunted. Ever since Giles is intrigued by ghosts and ghost stories
749: Death of Anna Carpenter. Giles flees to Mordentshire.
750: He works for the local fishermen. An old boat captain teaches him the ways of the scimitar an exotic sword in Mordent. Giles is taken by the stories of the captain, sees him as a second father and mentor.
751: Giles' first wife Sarah Emry dies in childbirth. Giles engulfed in despair in the coming years.
754: A circus arrives to Mordentshire, where the musician clown Jacquen Martis run off with Giles' wife, Lillian Emry.
755: He joins the Waterford landlord's economy. First as a stable-boy, then later he was trusted to train the mastiffs of the lord, who favors hunting in the local woods.
760-765: Due to his talents with animals the local landlord promotes Giles to be a forest warden of his lands, main duties to catch poachers, and thieves.
In the meantime he had two failed marriages. One bride died at childbirth with his son, the other escaped with a local bard.
765: A draught stucks the lands, the Emry family became debted to local merchants, the landlord does not pay the wage of Giles. At the winter of the year of 765, Giles to pay the family debts steals a steed from the landlord's stock. At the very same night hunters starts to chase Giles, who flees towards the Richemulot border where he loses his persuers in the thick fog. And eventually rides towards Barovia.

Chapter I.

The crave to return

It's been decided, no way back.
I will capture a living werewolf whatever is the cost. Giles Emry, the hunter who was able to trap a wolf. Sounds nice, might bring some fame and coins. A way to have an easy life, and support my familiy back  in Mordent.

Talked with many many people about my plans. It can be pulled through with careful planning. Picking the right people the right equipment the right place.

Why? A living wolf can teach us many things. Well unwillingly of course. How they behave what are their weaknesses, what makes them....a curse, a disease, magic? Perhaps a way to end their reign of the night. A cure, a poison, a way to avoid them. Can bring many discoveries.

What I need is a team, equipment and funds to cover the expenses. Won't be cheap but if it turns out well we'll all be rich men in the end. And famous.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:16:42 AM by Winter83 »

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Re: A hunter's query - Journal and notes of Giles Emry
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
Research notes #1

Talked with Jon, my countryman. He's a skilled one, a swordsman saw his share of the world, he'll be the defenses officer of the crew. Showed him the place where we can hide the specimen, far from town. The old fishing lodge...the basement has a fully equipped laboratory. Jon will oversee the defenses of the place, palisades, weapons, mercs.

Will need a group of scholars too to conduct the experiments on the wolf once captured. That foreign doctor...that Gregory might be a good candidate to be head of the research team.

Yes...will need funds too. Will visit the Vardos tomorrow, might be able to raise their interest to sponsor the Hunt. They can gain a fair profit if we succeed, and it's not bad for reputation either to provide equipment for the Great Hunt. Great hunt, yes....the hunt of the year, or even the century's.

Will need a strong cage too. Silver and adamantium alloy bars, delicate mechanism to operate the locks. And a trait, to lure the wolf into the trap. The crazy hunter woman agreed to help, teaching me the ways of the werewolves and how to fight them off. She...well...she actually voluntered to be the living lure in the cage. Crazy. Note to self: a lever operating a hidden trap door on her side, that'll block the wolf to reach her. Once lever is pulled the hidden grate drops and the door locks. Will need to find a skilled trapper or engineer to fashion such cage.

What else? Boats, herbs, books, medicine, food for a week, lantern oil, coils of rope, nails, hammers....it's almost impossible to list everything I have to acquire.

But the most important thing is now to talk with the Vardos' boss and get their sponsorship on the hunt.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:14:09 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:14:32 AM »
Vardos and doctors

The Vardos are quick to reply when they sniff profit in the air. A day after I asked for an appointment from boss Vasco Silvasi, he showed up personally in the Lady's. Told me my plan and he was interested. Said he's willing to offer the Vardo House' support for my plan if I can prove that my intentions are serious. He'd like to meet with the crew and see the laboratory for himself.
Also placed an order for the silver cage. Things are on track. Soonish we can start to build the palisades around the Fishing station.

Awaiting the reply of Doc Gregorry. He did not look too enthusiastic about the plan, might be just exhaustion. Sadly it's hard to find educated men in Barovia.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:14:50 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »
Research notes #2

Travelled far back to the coasts of the Sea of Sorrows to Port-á-Lucine in hope to find additional knowledge for the Great Hunt. Following a trail of a book written by a man called Van Richter, I spent almost a week digging up libraries all across the Port and when I was about losing my hope and returning back emptyhanded to Barovia I met this fine woman Gennifer Weathermay, uncles of the famous author. Such a luck I must say.

We had a pleasant conversation on my goals to capture a lycantrope wolf. Seems she had quite a knowledge on the field and offered me a copy of Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts. Will take some time to read the heavy tome, but that was my goal here.

Note to self: The book is outlawed in Barovia, so I should keep it well hidden.

She also mentioned something that gave me ideas. Were-foxes. An elusive species of the were-beasts, not as destructive as the larger canines, but due to their nature and behavior they can breed and infect foxes without alerting the hunters and causing panic until it's too late. I shall set out to the wilderness once more soon as I reach Barovia to track down some of these were-foxes. Capturing a wolf is one thing, but to capture a more recinsular and reclusive beast will test my capabilities even more and would pose less of a danger to the reaseach crew.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:15:49 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
Family and nightmares

[Unsent letter laying amongst the pages of the journal]

Dear Gregory, Paul, mother, father,

I hope my letter will reach you in Mordent. It pains me I could not even say goodbyes before I left. It was a silly idea I admit. Not sure what I thought it would accomplish to steal that horse from the lord. Just wanted to punish him for not paying my wages. I am an Emry, not some bastard son of a beggar. No I'm nothing more than a petty horse thief back at home.
I will try to return as soon as possible and pay all the damage I caused tenfolds, but that might be a little slow. Hope the anger of the lord won't slash on your backs for my doing, I feel sorry, sincerely. It is hard to make friendships here. People come, people go, and soon as I'd grow close to someone she vanishes. I've lost more friends here than in my twenty eight winters spend back at home.

I have the plans to raise a decent sum of coins to pay the Lord and provide a better life for all the family.
How's the little Elisabeth? Still poking you for that doll? And grandfather? His illness got any better?

Endure my dearest, as I'll return as soon as possible.

Giles
[/i]

[On the following page in the journal there's a new entry]

The nightmares came again, the same always the same, myself wandering alone at night in the mist, hunted by the White. The white wolf. Everywhere I go it's there, watching in silence, following my steps, his predatory eyes observing me seeking a weakness or a suitable time to end my life. I cannot sleep in my dreams in fear of the White, I cannot rest my eyes not for a moment. I grow weary and every step I take is heavy as If I carry many pounds of stone on my shoulders. When can I lay down my burden? When will the White finally face me instead of his endless haunting?
What's the meaning of the White beast, I wonder. What does it symbolize? White is the color of purity but shrouding a ferral beast. I am exhausted as these nightmares hardly let me have a satisfying sleep lately. Hope they'll stop haunting me soon.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:17:53 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »
The dice of fate

The nightmares of the white wolf have not been gone and still haunting my night, making them miserable. I am doing hard to follow the instructions of Moira, to face the wolf in my dreams. Is if it was that easy. She is certain that the wolf represents something important I do not wish to face. A part of myself, a fragment of my soul. Only If I could understand the meaning...only if I could manage to overcome the nightmares of being hunted, vulnerable.

[A couple of pages containing names and every day happenings, nothing worth to mention till the latest entries]

Got myself into this mess, and really have no idea why and how. What seemed to be a simple investigation that irked my curiosity turns out to be a real sick twists of events, unsolved mysteries of the past coming back to torment anyone getting involved.

Children missing. Families massacred. Investigators turning up dead others framed for serious crimes they did never commit. Cannibals and vampires. Half part of my mind just craves to throw myself into this investigation to unfold the lines, my other half, instincts, gut feelings just keep whispering in my ear to keep away, none of my damn business. So again, how I acted on every tough decision in the pass I rolled the dice. Took my options into consideration, and rendered them to the numbers before I sought the advice of the dice of fate.

On a roll of 1, I shall roll again
Be it a 2, so I don't have to do,
Rolling a 3, shall cease my curiosity, but not getting involved
On a 4, I try to convience Rhian to give up her investigation
If it shows a 5,  well I just order a drink and ponder on my options for a couple of weeks.  (My favourite option. [written on the margin)
And only on 6, shall I make myself involved.

Guess what...

If there guides me thee Dice of Fate then I shall follow and not disobey... but just makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:18:46 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
The oracle of cards

I consulted the oracle today. The hands of fate guiding the path of the living sometimes offers a glimpse into the future and supports those who honor Her taking steps on the path layed ahead. She talks either in the symbols of the cards or in the numbers of the dice.

The Trickster appeared, the Jack of Spades, yet his true identity is a mystery to me. Someone to support me on the forthcoming struggles. A mysterious stranger.
The Queen of Spades and the Queen of Diamonds both on my side. I know them both. The warrior and the noble, the black and the crimson, two so different personalities, two different guides...can a man love two women at once i wonder? Am I allowed to keep both of the cards in one hand or should I decide by one and lay down the other on the table. The 'H' and the 'Y'.  And yet the Ace of Hearts was held in the hand of another. A warning I wonder? Do I have to keep searching further till I find the Queen of Hearts, the Queen of the Crimson?

No.... both Queens are in my hand, I shall keep a wary eye on them, keep them separated, protect and hide. With some luck it won't be much of a trouble.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:19:29 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:45 AM »
The Whore

The Queen of Diamonds is in the play. The assignment of her is clear. Survival above all. Foolishly ended up in this militia thing that can be more a problem than the protection it provides. It's only a matter of time I'm tasked to step on the toe of someone whom I'd avoid if it's up to me.

My sweet scarlet Queen of Diamonds will be my ears and eyes in the darkness to see, and to prevent unwanted consequences. She's useful and skilled.

I conceal her card, and the only one uphand is my Queen of Spades. One with a good reputation, with many friends, mature and down to earth, one who can provide me with the much needed aura of trust and reliability. Note to self: try not to get too much attached to her, there might come a time when I have to dispatch her card.

The Jack of Spades is still unidentified, wonder when he shows up.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:20:44 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »
Research notes #3

[A new entry in the journal, smeared ink drops on the top left corner, the first few letters are blurred]

..s.e.t. more time than I should have within the walls of Vallaki assembling a web of informants. A difficult task thus those who'd fill the requirements cannot be trusted. Spent days and nights just talking with the gals, dancers and whores, yet aside sweet Diamond I hardly found any valuable assets. Have to turn back my attention on my most important goal about the capture of that were-creature. When not trying to assess the motives of possible 'cards' I've been reading the heavy tome I received from Gennefer. Van Richten sure made a thorough study on lycantrophes. Have to find some holes in his studies that to be filled. A few hypothesis came to my mind which I must discuss with the lamordian.
Is it possible to bend the will of a were creature, shaping it like a smith hands shape the smouldering steel? I have practice training dogs, wonder if a were-wolf can be trained into a fearless hunter of his own kin. Van Richten did not bother himself to deeply analyse the psychology of true lycantropes as he saw every and each as a scourge on mankind that needed to be purged.
A tamed and trained lycantroph, sent out into the old night, discovering lairs, murdering pack leaders. A were-assassin. Such a dream. Need further studies.

But here come the problems with the laboratory that ought to shelter the experiments. According to one of my companions it is haunted. A ghost resides there, his whole spirit molted into the very essence of the house. First need to get rid of the apparition. Or make a pact. The only thing I need is a restless ghost disturbing my plans.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:21:44 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »

The new nightmares

I had the strangest of dream tonight. I flied overs deserts and sand dunes, ruins and oasises. Landed in an abandoned village like place, with a huge pyramid on the edge. All round temples fallen to decay, skeletons of old buildings, deserted marketplace. Dark clouds twirled above the pyramid and lighnings struck the earth, and in the distance a great sandstorm was forming, swiftly the air was filled with sand the warm winds blew forth, the storm approaching me. There were no place to hide I stood agape awaiting the reach of the storm. But the wall of sand waving towards me formed the head of a snake. A snake I've never seen before, a snake with a hood. It's hisses was o the winds it darted it's open mouth towards me like snapping down at a prey, fangs dripping in venom. Then I awoke. In cold sweat.

Had a drink to clear out my mind. So many things are on my shoulders heavy burden. The plans of the great hunt, militia investigations.

Who was/is Kaleb, it thrusts into my mind like a dagger, many times, as I remember Pavel's face shaping the name, looking at me terrified when I mentioned I'm from the army. A man who first acted like a crazed one, rubbing his own hand at the rocky cliff till it bleed, rambling and raving, then out of sudden everything changed as he awoken from a dream. He did not know that was his last night. Fell from the cliff, broke his neck.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:22:15 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
The pursuit

Today I decided to visit the vistani seer to seek her counsel on my nightmares. As they became more and more frequent, interrupting my sleep. Not even the unconscious stuppor of whiskey makes them go away. The seer made a reading with her cards. Five cards on the desk, the Gambler, the Soldier, these are my present. The Storm the Chariot and the Witch. Are my future. The Storm means a change, a great upheaval, thunder and the cleansing rains. The Chariot symbolizes a dangerous journey. The Witch....she said that this might be beyond my dreams. Though I've never angered any witches.

At the following night still disturbed by the reading I tried to sleep again. Yet the nightmares arrived, but this time there was a change in the pattern. Amongst the dunes a tender figure of a woman clad in robes I approached.

The words of her I remember:

'Horus the protector will fall upon the serpent and Isis will be drowned in tears
I know you.
Yet your quest for knowledge has just begun.
Look for the Betraying brother"

The betraying brother she said. A brother-in-arms I wonder? Makes sense. Have to learn everything possible about this Kaleb who served in the army back in the past. And must find those as well who might know him. Those who served under him. I will check the old rosters in the morning.
Also might have to find Poisson. He may know anything about those names from my dream. Horus and Isis. Or that Society of Eridutes...or whatstheirname.

Note to self: Need to raise the dose of camomile and hang up some dream catchers next time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:22:55 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »
Following the trail of the serpent

The last couple of days were fairly eventful. Seems I unwillingly ended up with these nightmares a curse, and a 'friendly' snake cult. I am overjoyed.
To my luck I met with Kiron who was the right hand and apprentice of this Kaleb. We spoke in lengths and learned many many things. First. He had the same nightmares as myself. Bad thing, he ended up mad, broke the laws of the count, was hung, drowned and quartered. Rumor is his eyes were snakelike in the end, and tounge forked. Hogwash.

Got new leads also. Legos that elf acquire Kaleb's journal from a coffin along with a script written in an ancient picture like writing. Learned that I'm in the middle of some religious nonsense of foreign gods of the desert land of Har'akir. Agents of Set, treachery, hidden organizations in Barovia. We traveled to a desert settlement to Har'akir where some old sage translated much of the picturesque writing. It was about a prophecy the first sentences were the very same I had in my nightmares.

"Horus the protector will fall upon the serpent and Isis will be drowned in tears. Look for the betraying brother"

Then he translated some sings to us. That marks the fulfillment of the prophecy.

"The first sing will arrive with the desert stroms and he will bring the blood of the ancients.
When the betraying brother is returned he shall spread the word of the ancient.
When the apprentice fails and the desert sun burns the darkness...
When the old man is awakened and the eyes of the dragon watches his soul
Will fill the air with the taste of centurious the mists will open their arms and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
And there will be thunder and storms and his word will fill the word again"

Some line the sage could not translate. Crazy enough as it is. Set the snake, and the betraying brother. Agents of his will were encountered in Barovia, approched smithes of great reknown, to ask for a blade worthy of a champion. Something's awakening, and I had the feeling Kaleb was on the path of the prophecy to unlock it's end. Hrm...or he was a victim? Reread his lines, and seems he was more an offering than an agent to the dragon. He brought the blood of an alhoon to a dragon, assisted by a snake witch called Isu. Sadly pages are missing.

And what I do now? Wait. For the new nightmares to came, as they might reveal more parts of the prophecy. And I do hope I don't end up mad in the process.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:23:45 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »
The mystery of the serpent

Made a journey to Port-á-Lucine to visit some people who might knew Kaleb. Good new leads.

Pavel the man I met in the woods south of Vallaki was the cook in the militia poisoning several soldiers. Back then this was covered as a rebel assault though I was something else.
An ezrite said Kaleb's journal might be a mislead as he tried drop false clue to people not to find the cult.
The Betryaing brother can be Set, Kaleb or some Tutumose, living in the Port. Some sleeping agent? Investigation of his house is needed, direct conversation with him might make him suspicious and would close the lead. Also possible lead to find Kaleb's remnants and place of hideout.
Kaleb was indeed an agent of the cult, arch-traitor as another Ezrite mentioned it. He lead many lives to cover his trails and keep up the facade.
The Cultists seek something in Barovia. One man have knowledge on this, but he did not reveal it in fear that if they manage to ensorcel me I might tell them this information they seek so badly.
Perhaps I am used without my knowledge to find them that things they seek in Barovia? This why the dreams, this why I was set upon the investigation? Whom to trust now? Everyone is a possible threat. The cult is very secretative and have many sleeping agents in cells across Barovia. Have to tread carefully.

My dreams might reveal more in time, until then have to keep an eye open for suspicious activity, snake victims, missing people. Asked local priests and healers to inform me on snake attacks. Along with the cultists their pets were set lose too.

What a mess.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:26:27 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
Growing paranoia

[The handwriting is shaken, the ink leaves spots on the edge of the page]

...the dreams. Getting worse. Snakes. Everywhere. After me. Even now. I hear them. In my head? No. In front of the door. They are crawling under my bed. Hissing under the blanket. Are in my backpack. Watching. Trying to curl upon me. Bite me to death. I spend more time away. In the wilds. In the mountains. Peace. Snakes hate the cold. Yes. They do. I have time. Do I have?

Asked for the files from the citadel. Have an appointment too. The truth? Mystery? What's reality? What happened? Murders, kidnappings in the past? All connected? The nobles. They are amongst the nobles. The nobles are the snakes. They cannot hide from me. No they can't.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:26:55 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
Isolation

[Page is muddy, and dirty, yellowed]

Here I write my journal away from town. I spend more and more time in myself far from the closest town, my candle burns down slowly my ink runs dry.Further from people gives a small chance to dodge assassins I see in every corner.

I have time to contemplate on the past events and life. On the friends I've lost, and keep losing, Jon Saxon, Halgerd to mention only a few. No bonds are fruitful, once I grow close to one the mist takes them away. Only chaos is permanent and the nightmares. I welcome the snakes in my dreams as a friend, the bites are familiar, the hissing became part of my nights, the cold sweat I awake in, the dry mouth and confusion. The progress came to a stall, as if the cult retreated a little back into the shadows, waiting.

Sleeplessness is part of me, the face that looks back at me form my broken mirror shard in the morning, or in the reflections of the still surface of lakes are less and less unfamiliar, though frightening.  Will likely die in one of the faraway corners of this country, away from people I knew, forgotten, only left to myself, bitterness lingering on my mind, consuming what is left of me. The goals I pursued became meaningless, the dream of settling down and raising my children are beyond reach.

Only survival has some meaning. Living from day to day and give praise to Ezra that I still breath when I wake up. Like an animal covering in the night, roaming the wilds alone, finding pleasure in the small delights of life, finding bits of food, mating, closing my eyes for some hours when I shove my back against some cold cavern wall.

I stopped counting the days, I wake with the sun and set with it, sometimes wandering back to town to pick up rumors, refill my bottle with bitter whiskey, hire a prostitute to satiate my thirst for the flesh. Militia business detracts my mind from the burdens, giving me something to do.

I find it ironic, that no matter how hard I fought to avoid the fate of Kaleb, is like swimming upstream, pointless and exhausting, I often feel the urge just to give it up. One cannot change the fate, even luck is only a new stream tossing me left and right like a mindless log adrift but eventually driving towards what was ordered to me in the very beginning.

No matter my actions, of what I do the end is one and unalterable. I should jump into the bitter pleasures life could offer so when this play finally comes to the end I could say that at least it was enjoyable.

I hear something outside my temporar cavernous hideout, have to blow the candle now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:31:48 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Unheard prayers

Dear god, I should have stayed at home in the first place. Coming to Barovia was the silliest idea of my life. I feel like a mouse fleeing into the army, trying to blend in then I end up just atop the butcher's desk a cleaver over my head. We got two inspections within a week. First a soldier were almost whipped as an example. now the Burgomeister and his whole family coming here and that General Ionelus also. A man who lived up to his infamy for certain. Rude, and aggressive, they tried to find any catch on the miliita.

They are buggering us lately for having two first militias, Ezra is my witness it was not my choice to end up one. Always being in the wrong place the wrong time, or acting too late. And now I see little options, anything get wrong and I will have to face repercussions. Only if I get demoted for something. The least I want is to put over Shinzo, then got blamed for it.

Our pay is meager, equipment is in terrible condition and even worse quality and even a street urchin can break into the barracks for the sake of fun. And now they expect me / us to show progress. I ask how and where and with what and whom? If this continues like this, no sane man will join the army. Assassins, rebels, criminals, the garda hate us, and the outlanders also seeing us the garda's dog. Only if i knew when I joined. But, hey...big smile Giles, you are a survivor, will climb out of this bucket load of dung as you always do.

Luckily the nightmares on snakes ceased, and the cult is hiding, at least they won't bother me for a time. But still have to be alert.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:32:23 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 06:08:47 AM »
Summary

Focus Giles, focus.

Let's see what leads remained on that snake cult case...

1. Tutumose in the Port - Got it covered, Sweet Diamond were sent to Lucine to find anything useful. Hope she have the skills not to mess it up, for the good of all I do hope.
2. Tutmose purchased some farm in Barovia - all track covered, no mention in the administration, no contracts of purchase, nothing. I walk the country to find that farm. We got a promise from the citadel to check any unusual patterns in the tax record. Whomever sold that farm might have had financial troubles, and I seriously doubt this Tutumose want to risk some conflict with the authorities. Also asking around in taverns, perhaps the peasants are aware. The lack of harvest for instance.
3. Still have to speak with Mihas.
4. The sage promised a translation. Have to travel back to the sands.
5. Shinzo inspecting some scroll he found in Kaleb's locker a way back.

Not bad, I have some progress. Have to solve this case else the garda will have my hide. They are itchy since that lieutant was kidnapped. Some results will certainly calm their nerves.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:32:52 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
Leaf falling

Someone sticked a question at me today in the woods if I want to trust her. It brought me a great pain to answer. Because the question is more like the other way around. Can she trust me? Or anyone? Even I have doubts trusting myself. Should perhaps just hang a board around my neck: Avoid him, highly untrustworthy. I lead a life that most resembles a leaf falling slowly from the top of a tree carried by baffling winds. Cold and warm alike. Even seeing the chasm under my feet I cannot be certain where I will fall.

And now you put the responsibility of a whole garrison in my neck. Discipline yourself.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:33:16 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »
Survival above all

Survival above all. This what life though me so far. People as tools, as shields, allies and comerades, shadows and light. Everything, every single material can benefit the observant and crafty. And what benefits the observant the best is information. Information within the walls of stone-bulit cities is crucial. There are some many secrets, mysteries, hidden and half-spoken truth there. Knowing who's who, where to step and whom to avoid. My plans working out just fine. The Cards are on the Table. The Dealer watches the Game. None will corner this Fox.

A leaf falling from the branch, but as it falls the outlines are getting more and more visible.

Note to self: Learned about an assasins' gulid when we explored Zeklos' keep. Need a contact. Might be useful to get rid of troublemakers, who hinder my progress...something starting with a B.... The Ace of Spades laid down there. It must be.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:33:41 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
Crossroads

I was right, and now standing at a crossroads. The cult is -indeed- here in Barovia. i received a message. A threat. People will die if I do not stop the search. People will die if I do, anyway.
If I stop, innocents in great numbers. If I don't stop the search, a fewer but friends and comerades, brothers-in-arms. But perhaps I am wrong and they'll just simple do whatever they are doing in the shadows...a few men killed, perhaps it's not such a big sacrifice for the safety of my friends.

I might have to consult the Dice in this.

Also, recently received a letter from home. My heart was overjoyed. They received my letter and now I got a response as well.

Giles, my son,
It is difficult to tell, how happy we were receiving your letter. Your father believed that you are dead after vanishing from home. He spent more and more time with the ezrite flock praying, thought he'd never show his emotions, not a single tear. But he started to neglect the duties around, spending less time on the field and more in the tavern and the local chapel. Now Gregory and Paul started to hire some field-hands as the the Hog putting more and more burden on us, as we have to pay back the debts and damage you made with that foolish act. But still my motherly heart is at joy, that you are fine and well, my son.
Your grandfather died last winter sadly, his old heart finally gave up to serve him, so he returned to our ancestors. Little Elizabeth is fine, she's growing up so fast, and missing her elder brother gravely. Come back home soon my son, dear Giley.

With love: Ma
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:34:03 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
Dreams

The letter from back home and first snowfall near Tser Pool brought back memories. From my childhood, how anxiously we waited the first flakes of the snow with Gregorry and little Paul when we were kids. We went out to the fields building huge snow castles, we were knights, not peasant boys. For a few hours we were someone else. In our play we were knights, rulers of castles, rescuers of maidens. We rode on brooms, as our imaginary steeds, old rusty bucket on our heads, but those buckets were shining helmets of steel. And the scarecrows were the monsters from the tales. We fought valiantly with wooden sticks, and the old shepard dog Mongrel was our veteran battle-beast. The old dog looked at us in confusion when we dressed it up in tattered tin armors we fabricated ourselves.

We dreamed being knights. But some dreams never come true. Never.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:34:43 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 07:10:19 AM »

Back to the beginning

[A research note tucked into the pages of his Journal]

Research plan summary

Target: Were-wolf, or were-foxen.
Goal #1: Study their behavior, mind and attitudes. Have to wait for the transfiguration. Living specimen required.
Goal #2: Retrain a were-creature to be a hunter of his own specie. Trial and error. Similar to dogs? Need an intelligent specie.

Place of the research: Old laboratory under the Fishing station by the lake. Easy access, equipment present. Need a boat. Side-note: Heard rumors of it being haunted. Further inspection required.

Necessary equipment:
- Silver cage : Ask Legos.
- Silver-lined rope or shackles
- A pouch of belladonna or nightshade
- Bone weapons if were-fox is choosen as a target specimen.
- Surgery tools.
- Herbs, medicine
- Wood for palisades. Note to self: Have to reinforce the laboratory.
- Ink and quills
- Food, blankets, water for the team
- Fangs, fangs, fangs....

Necessary Personel:
- Halgerd: Missing
- The lamordian: Missing
- 1 officer of Security
- 1 head of the research team
- 1 master trainer (myself) and head of the hunters. Erynne's a possible candidate.
- Carpenters and masons
- Sell-swords
- 1 Ferry-man
- 1 scribe

Problems so far:
- Need a lure. Living prey perhaps? Erynne volunteered. Have to craft a mechanism to separate her from the prey.
- The question of transportation of the prey to the laboratory.
- The question of defense. If prey is were-wolf assaults on the laboratory estimated during the retraining and study.
- Investigate the haunting in the old laboratory. Kinship assistance perhaps?

[A hand drawn picture under the notes]

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:35:09 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
On the verges of sanity

[A hand-drawn picture]

Such magnificent creatures they are. Savage, feral, wild, yet intelligent. The perfect mixture of man and beast. A race of predatory cunning and strength and human intelligence. A perfect creation of hunt. A perfect killer. Humankind bent the will of many species into his service, the dogs, the oxen. They all serve us. Yet such creatures are scowled upon instead of seeing them as a tool of survival. How many humans died in wars that could have been prevented? Still remember the twin brothers from the neighboring farms, Paul and Brian...whom I played so much in my childhood....still remember the day when they proudly marched into the borders of Mordent in the militia to fight off the falkovian skirmishes. Two good lads died for nothing.

We use shields to protect us from the harm. We use dogs to hunt and to guard our territory, horses and oxen, beasts of burden to ease our lives on the fields. Why we cannot bend this race to our bidding? Guile and swiftness, keens senses. It has everything that can be used for a tool. Yet they are a scourge. The infected ones are but vemin, pityful existence of pain and savagery, driven by inferior motives, like rage and hunger. Unlike the true lycantrophies. The bestial commanders of this accursed race. Even if we'd like to conquer back a small part of the night, we'd need to destroy the progenitor, but only one of their kind is capable to do such. To track it down. Yes. A Were-assassin.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:35:32 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 01:07:25 PM »
Preparations

The first phase of my plans. To finally visit that laboratory and inspect it. I have heard accounts of haunting, even spoke with a witness, who even years after the incident screamed like a little girl when we approached the building, though I knew her as a brave woman.
Bleeding walls, shutting and closing doors, laughter, whimpers, moving furniture. The place witnessed a terrible tragedy, a foul dead a human mind can imagine, the cross-breeding of beast and man. And yet the experiments failed, it ended in a gruesome death.

Karmic Resonance. The energies that linger and are present at the person's death. The greater they are at the moment of the death, the stronger the ghost will become. This is called magnitude of power. The Loud man for instance was a mere nuisance, a first magnitude spirit. The Phantom lover, or Jezra Wagner are most likely fourth grade magnitude apparitions.
Fueled by emotions, these ghosts can anchored to places, objects persons, motivated by a great many things.

I proceed slowly with the Professor's writings, the language contains many words that are unfamiliar to me.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:35:46 AM by Winter83 »

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 06:13:02 AM »
Breakthrough

And when I was about to close the case of the cult, I finally got a major breakthrough, thanks to that ex-garda in the Village. What I heard was more than shocking. I even fear to write down the summary of it into my very own personal journal. Kaleb as I suspected was part not only the cult but that other organization. He killed her. The Fox. They symbol it all makes sense. We have to make a move till it's not late. My life is still in danger so as my friends'.
I know now what the cult is after here in Barovia, I know why they operated in the Noble's district, I know what they strive to achieve, they are after the....
[The rest of the page is torn out hastily]