Author Topic: Need a little bit of help  (Read 2788 times)

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
Need a little bit of help
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:31 AM »
Ah well i have been spending my time messing around makeing Custom content of my own too add to the server and nwn, this idea came from the death mask override that replaced the old skull mask.. well i tend to make some robes.. for evil or good that would work nicely. However i cannot get the .MDL files to work with

This is what i will try too make it look like

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:36:31 AM by Apimpnamedscoob »

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
Re: Need a little bit of help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
I have been around the server and nwn and i have noticed there are not alot of robes.. all i see are preist robes and some wizard robes that look like someone put a dress on a wizard and i think there needs to be new robe options and new robe cloths out there.

Here are some sample pictures of some robe ideas off my most favorite game of all time Oblivion [I did not make these]

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:41:19 PM by Apimpnamedscoob »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
I would really love head peices that did not overwrite the current head.  things like cowls, turbins, more hats and so forth would be awesome >.> saddly nwn doesn't allow that normally.

Swiftar

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:38:43 AM »
I would really love head peices that did not overwrite the current head.  things like cowls, turbins, more hats and so forth would be awesome >.> saddly nwn doesn't allow that normally.

There are some models on NWVault that allow for the character's head to be seen with certain helmets/hoods, but I don't think it's so easy to implement.

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
Yes i was messing around with it a bit... I am very new at making custom items but i have done similar stuff. Heads are easy to make sense i took the death mask and remodeled it fairly easy and i had no problems except that i had no idea what i was doing but i learned alot from that. The part i have a problem right now is getting the .MDL files and making the robes is going to be alot harder then the head sense i would need to override the existing robe models and make them and apply them to various Races/phenotypes

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Making the robe part is easy. If you try to make the robe and hood all one thing, though, you run the risk of clipping - and trust me, it'll clip. You'd have to make a seriously gigantic hood on the robe model to accommodate most heads, and some of the large hair female ones would be impossible to cover. Considering that PC's heads dynamically look around based on people speaking and such, it'll get really ugly.

The most common solution is to make the robe and hood separate. Now, it isn't possible to make a hood on the helmet layer continue to display the chosen head; this is why the hood model has that blank white faceless texture under the hood. Also, the 'hats' we have are either cloak or robe layer and don't move with the head.

So, it comes down to this: What are you going to sacrifice to make it work? Are you going to have a hooded robe that has a lot of clipping issues, or one that is two parts and doesn't show the face properly?

Personally, I'd be happy with more hood choices; I've seen a few that are hood and face mask combined with a generic bland face showing through the middle that look nice, I don't know why CEP didn't pick it up.
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
Making the robe part is easy. If you try to make the robe and hood all one thing, though, you run the risk of clipping - and trust me, it'll clip. You'd have to make a seriously gigantic hood on the robe model to accommodate most heads, and some of the large hair female ones would be impossible to cover. Considering that PC's heads dynamically look around based on people speaking and such, it'll get really ugly.

The most common solution is to make the robe and hood separate. Now, it isn't possible to make a hood on the helmet layer continue to display the chosen head; this is why the hood model has that blank white faceless texture under the hood. Also, the 'hats' we have are either cloak or robe layer and don't move with the head.

So, it comes down to this: What are you going to sacrifice to make it work? Are you going to have a hooded robe that has a lot of clipping issues, or one that is two parts and doesn't show the face properly?

Personally, I'd be happy with more hood choices; I've seen a few that are hood and face mask combined with a generic bland face showing through the middle that look nice, I don't know why CEP didn't pick it up.

That is what i was going for, to make the robe and the hood seperete not make the hood with the robe

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
In that case, it shouldn't be too hard to make more, it'll just take dedication. I know some people have directly ported models into NWN, like these weapons from Fable:
Spoiler: show

You just need to make sure that they aren't super crazy high resolution textures and high quality models.
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
In that case, it shouldn't be too hard to make more, it'll just take dedication. I know some people have directly ported models into NWN, like these weapons from Fable:
Spoiler: show

You just need to make sure that they aren't super crazy high resolution textures and high quality models.

Yah, that is the thing.. i need .mdl files too work with so i can export what i need from nwn in the file type .mdl so i can edit the content and then throw it in the overrides and bam! new priest robes

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:40:19 AM »
An important thing to remember is to keep the polygon count low enough for them not to eating power because the game handles this poorly.

Apimpnamedscoob

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 02:34:34 AM »
Yes this project will be set aside for now, i will try and get this done some other time