Author Topic: Perform Skill  (Read 6162 times)

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
Perform Skill
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »
I've been wondering about this for some time now: Would it be possible to make Perform a cross-class skill for classes other than Bard? I ask this because of the usual performance check that goes along with playing an instrument and was thinking it would be a nice RP device to have some extra points in Perform to say that your character of X class can play Y instrument and not have it limited to Bard for a somewhat decent performance check.

A rather simple request, purely for RP purposes, but I'm unsure as to if this is resolved with 2DA amendment or not, which if it is the case I wouldn't bother suggesting this. If it is doable without the need for a new hak, fantastic, I would love to hear opinions on it. If not, meh, twas only an idea.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Re: Perform Skill
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:34:42 AM »
You don't need to be a professional artist and musician to play a musical instrument. The bards are entertainers, the quality of their performance is what represented by the perform skill. But even a simple peasant can amuse himself playing a lute, and barbarians can sing too without the need of "perform" skill. Well those performances will never reach the quality of the bards, but you can still use the instruments for rp.

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »
In my opinion, perform as cross class skill for every other class than bard would be suitable.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
Sure on perform cross-class.

Now I'm going a bit off-topic here, but influence and antagonize could be made available to all classes? Why can't a guard be good at scaring people? (Ex. Fighter dude level 20 has perhaps some 11 ranks in antagonize. Pitty.)

Just like a wizard has free access to knockdown and disarm for the sake of balance, I think those skills could be available to all, perhaps.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:14:39 AM by Purist »

Geiger

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
Rogues actually are supposed to get it as a main skill even. Everyone is actually able to cross class in every skill, in PnP.

Wizards get UMD as a class skill. :D

Shadowthrone

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »
From the classes that we have, Bards, Monks, Rogues, and Shadowdancers should have Perform as a class skill per 3.5 (I don't have the 3.0 books but it's probably the same.) The rest should be able to cross class into it.

I'd love it if that could be the case.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
This is major thread necromancy and I apologize for it, but just a heads up that this will be implemented. Here are the changes to perform we are planning to introduce with the next hak update:

1)Perform will be available to all classes across the board.
2)Bards, Rogues, Monks, Harpers (not used) and SDs will have Perform as a class skill. Other classes will have it as a cross-class skill.
3)Shadowdancers will need 5 Perform in the future instead of 5 Tumble as per D&D.
4)Clerics with the Mora domain (one of the new domains we're adding) will be able to use Bard Song once per day as per the RL Campaign Setting.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:47:35 PM by EO »

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Woohoo! Perform! :)
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »
This is major thread necromancy and I apologize for it, but just a heads up that this will be implemented. Here are the changes to perform we are planning to introduce with the next hak update:

2)Bards, Rogues, Monks, Harpers (not used) and SDs will have Perform as a class skill. Other classes will have it as a cross-class skill.
3)Shadowdancers will need 5 Perform in the future instead of 5 Tumble as per D&D.
4)Clerics with the Mora domain (one of the new domains we're adding) will be able to use Bard Song once per day as per the RL Campaign Setting.

Any chance we can get a post with all of the changes that are coming!? :O
: )

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »

Hrgh! Two towels!
 :oops:

Badelaire

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »
OMG, WTF!!!!? This means now other classes can do shit bards could only do and out perform roll them with no musical talent? Blah blah blah, bitch whine moan bleet. What next? People besides rogues able to open locks!!!???

In all seriousness about that shadow dancer part, what happens to existing ones? I'm also interested in this talk of new domains, I feel my creative juices flowing. Bring a mop and a bucket.

Fierna

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »
I am very very excited about this new change. Can't wait. Thanks for the necromancy and heads up EO!

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
Super excited for these changes, despite the fact I play a bard already...

Badelaire

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
Still don't change the fact that bards rock. Har har, geddit? Or the insanely fun bonuses bard song grants via the skill. Still curious about the changes around shadow dancers already existing.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »
Still don't change the fact that bards rock. Har har, geddit? Or the insanely fun bonuses bard song grants via the skill. Still curious about the changes around shadow dancers already existing.

It shouldn't affect them, but if it does, it'll likely cause some bug and we'll just relevel them to let them take 5 ranks in perform (which would be a class skill for rogues). If it doesn't cause any bugs, we won't ask you to relevel.

As for the rest of the content, we're still ironing things out. Personally, I've added a bunch of new cleric domains that will be available in the OOC New Characters area. Here's the list of domains I'm adding:

General:
Chaos
Law
Luck
Darkness
Time
Dream

Ravenloft-specific:
Mist
Undeath
Bindings
Repose
Mora
Salvation
Scrutiny
Slaughter
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:54:26 PM by EO »

Geiger

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
What about mists?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:45 PM »

It shouldn't affect them, but if it does, it'll likely cause some bug and we'll just relevel them to let them take 5 ranks in perform (which would be a class skill for rogues). If it doesn't cause any bugs, we won't ask you to relevel.

As for the rest of the content, we're still ironing things out. Personally, I've added a bunch of new cleric domains that will be available in the OOC New Characters area. Here's the list of domains I'm adding:

General:
Chaos
Law
Luck
Darkness
Time
Dream

Ravenloft-specific:
Undeath
Bindings
Repose
Mora
Salvation
Scrutiny
Slaughter

If I may, there's this hak that makes a lot of changes to bring all sorts of things more in-line with 3.5 (allegedly, I don't know). http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=5646
: )

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
What about mists?

Corrected. Mist is in.

If I may, there's this hak that makes a lot of changes to bring all sorts of things more in-line with 3.5 (allegedly, I don't know). http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=5646

Our goal for now is not to mimick 3.5 We've taken some parts from 3.5 at times to balance some things, but we're not overhauling the system. The domains and skill changes I've made are based on 3E.

Badelaire

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
I can see a lot of remake applications for Mist domain from many Ezrite clerics. :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:04:20 PM by Badelaire »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
I can see a lot of remake applications for Mist domain from many Ezrite clerics. :P

whatever i'm sticking w/ travel trickery brah  :skull:

Badelaire

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »

whatever i'm sticking w/ travel trickery brah  :skull:

Zomg u powahgamur.

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »
I would happily request an available remake to all clerics, perhaps a tool in the OOC lounge that allows us to switch our domains for a little while to fix this? I have a two clerics with non-correct domains as they were not implemented before.

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:28 AM »
I would happily request an available remake to all clerics, perhaps a tool in the OOC lounge that allows us to switch our domains for a little while to fix this? I have a two clerics with non-correct domains as they were not implemented before.

+1

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 12:29:34 AM »

!!!

This is an excellent change, thank you!

Geiger

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »
Wouldclerics have perform as well? My only thought being that music seems to be something many clerics and faiths would be down with. Choirs, hymns, Gregorian chanting. Is the Mora domain dependent power on your perform skill?